Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My glass 34 tudor build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BIG-JIM, Nov 27, 2011.

1. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Thanks rusty1 and yes the white letters will disappear as best I can. The wife likes raised white letters but I think they are best left to the muscle car crowd.

2. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lookin good! What are those Foam thingies on the front of the frame?

3. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Shinny nerf bar protectors :D

4. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Got a question on your rear end set up. Is there any need for a panhard bar to locate the third member against side chassis movement?

5. RCM59

RCM59

As you can see in the avatar...nothing wrong with a little glass.

6. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

LOL Thanks Ed.

7. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

In a word No. That is an Outlaw Performance chassis so they would have put it there if needed. I think it's because it's a triangulated 4 bar setup but I'm no expert on the subject. Now my wife's 33 Chevy coupe has a straight 4 bar setup and that has a panhard bar.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  8. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Yup, sometimes that's all you can afford. For me it makes no sense to spend all that money on real steel when the smile on my face will be just as big when I hit the go pedal in a glass car.

9. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glass, look Big Daddy Ed Roth used it, corvette's, boats! shower stalls! The list goes on & on !

10. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Shower stalls? LOL You forgot more 32 ford coupe's than Henry ever built...(Wink)

lawman likes this.
  11. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Forgot, I have one !

12. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

I had some fun with my gas tank the other day. First order of business was to get the old varnish; I mean gas out of it. The wife helped me flush it a couple times then the polishing commenced. Ruined just about every buffing pad I had. About 4-5 hours, 2 tubes of polish, my sore arms and back and it don't look too bad. I needed to get that mounted before I can run the gas line. So that's another big thing on the car and out of my way. One piece at a time baby!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

daddio211 and kiwijeff like this.
  13. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Okay here is this weeks update. The wife and I put the engine and transmission in yesterday then today I got the intake on and I couldn't help myself I had to put the carbs, air cleaners, and valve covers on just to see where I am headed. The more I put on the car the more room I have. I've said it before, one whole car takes up less room than one all exploded. I also found an old chrome dipstick. It was rusty and crusty so I hit it with the wire wheel and painted it black and installed that too. All in all not a bad day.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  14. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

THNX

15. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

I spent some quality time with my milling machine this weekend and made the rear spreader bar end caps. They had to be specially made because they hold the tail light stands. The end caps are polished like a mirror but I just couldn't get them to show up good in the picture. We decided to mount the tail lights inboard instead of out. Less stone chips & I think they look a lot better tucked in to the gas tank. Speaking of the tank; that is completely in now. The tail light is just there for looks. I still have to paint them and cut the stainless conduit to length. The spreader bar and nurf bars are in for good as well.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. It's going to be a sweet car! Bet you can't wait to get it done.

17. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

You got that right! I wish it would go a little faster but as everyone knows sometimes life get's in the way (more like work get's in the way). Got a long weekend coming up so hoping to get a bunch of stuff done on it.

18. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

I did a bunch of stuff this weekend and most of it can't be seen in progress photo's. I worked on my air cleaner bases the ones I had didn't look right and were too big. I cut some out on my lathe from chunks of aluminum (boy that was fun and time consuming). The first one took about 9 hours and the second one went a lot faster maybe 5 hours but I'm happy with the results. They don't look any different but they fit a lot better. The air cleaner is almost a pressed fit...LOL. I put my headlights on, messed with my alternator, finished bolting the trans in, put the bolts in my converter, started running the transmission cooler lines, & played with my tail lights. The base mounts for the tail lights are solid brass as well as the trim rings so I polished the hell out of them and painted the buckets. I re-purposed some parts my shop threw out. They had stainless conduit and it polished up nicely. Every bolt I need I grab stainless and I polish the hell out of it. It's all going to be worth it. Once the tail lights are done I could mount the third brake light. The lights will be well on there way I got a price fir a custom exhaust system $1600-42000 for aluminized. I figure how hard can it be right?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    https://scontent-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot ... e=559D05B1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  19. Roadsir

Roadsir

Hard to believe all those chips came from those little billets. Nice job.

20. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

This weeks update. I got the drive shaft made and it fits great. I ran 90% of the trany cooler lines. I just have to run them to the radiator now. Installed the starter. Made a new marker plate holder out of aluminum. Adjusted the pinion angle a bit. Finished up the tail lights and made the final adjustments on them. They look really good. I put the water pump on and finished the alternator bracket too. I started working on the exhaust as well. Going to work on my grille today and figure out if it's good enough to keep of bit the bullet and get a new Drake unit and sell the original...hell I'm building a replica anyway! I hear Drake's fit fine anyway. I was figuring the car was going to come out a little less..."flashy" and the grille I had would work. But the car is coming out better than I expected and I think it warrants a new grille. Or at least get the outside ring of the old grille re-chromed. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  21. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Been working on my heater. I picked up a small heat exchanger at a swapmeet right next to the guy that had the heater. Almost like it was meant to be. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oh and I picked up a Drake grille too.
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  22. All the detail stuff is the fun part of any build for me, but damn I didn't need to see that heater, Lol.
    Its Winter down here now, and we got a fresh dump of snow on the Alps. I've been thinking I need side windows and a heater, but I brought a biker scarf instead and wear big coats, gloves and hat.
    Hope your enjoying a sunny start to your Summer Jim.

23. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Thanks Jeff. We didn't think winter was going to end this year. Thank god that's over. Here in New England the nights can get chilly.

24. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

I got a bunch of stuff done today. I finished up the heater plumbing, I pressure tested it with the help of my wife (thank you sweets). I mounted the voltage reducer for the defroster motor and started to paint it to make it all purty. I applied the frame webbing so she wont squeak as she goes down the road. The little brown truck pulled up the other day and dropped off my flex hose for the defroster, the electric heat control valve, a pressure regulator for my fuel pump, a throttle bracket, and some fancy flexible sanding blocks. Every day one step closer to being on the road. On to the pictures! One thing is for sure; no one can say I didn't document this build...[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff, Tn. Trash and daddio211 like this.
  25. nice job on the heater!

26. Tn. Trash

Tn. Trash

This is looking great Jim, you do nice work. Good to see the whole family involved in the build.

27. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

I'm still plugging away at her. I gathered up the family and dragged them down to the garage and they helped me take the body outside and flip it on it's side. Some things I just can't do alone. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I had envisioned stalactites hanging from the underside. But I was pleasantly surprised. I ground it all down and it wasn't looking too bad when I was done. Still a lot to do though. I've been working on my heater some more and I'm pretty happy with the way that's coming out. I know I already have a third brake light but I found a real rare and Kool as hell Teleoptic light. It was real expensive but I couldn't resist. I've been selling off a ton of big (Leftover) items taking up space in my garage. Extra money and more space= a win win for me. Lets see...Oh and I tried the new grille on for size after I put the trim band and trinkets on it. Man that thing looks good! So I hear you guys like pictures. Well here ya go.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

28. That grill is very pretty!!

29. Beautiful Grill!!!!!