Register now to get rid of these ads!

my girls first old car!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by niceguyede, Jul 5, 2011.

1. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Thanks. I keep tellin her her first old car is better than my first 10 old cars!! And cheaper than most I've sunk $$$ into!!

2. davidh73750

davidh73750

Someone left a note on my bel air last night wanting to buy it. "You ever want to sell this hot momma right here think of me first. I might give you an offer can't refuse." blah , blah. She fires up, and has cold ac. My other buddy has been trying to peddle her off too. I really like my old bel air. wait til you are driving yours it will happen too. Being in bid D I'd put a kill switch or theft deterrent on her.

3. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Excellent find. Should be a grand bonding experience for you two. That is a serious AC pump right there!

4. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

We should be rolling this weekend! Got the alt mounted, belt on, taillights back in, gas tank in the trunk for now. Just need hoses, plugs and wires, and a gas lid! We cant wait!! And yea, its gonna have a number of theft deterents!! I rig all my old cars with several switches, battery kills, fuel cut off etc.etc......Funny story, I had left my apache at a buddies shop for a couple days and it was just habit to start hitting the switches after I parked it. He called me wondering why my truck wouldnt start, he thought his son had done something and fuct it up!!

5. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Thanks! That a/c pump was the first thing to go!! It prolly saved me a couple hundred pounds!! We're gonna put a/c on it this winter for next year, but I'm gonna go with a sanden compressor.

6. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

So I got the for now gas tank in the trunk and the rubber lines in. And NOW it doesnt want to start. ?Guess I'm gonna have to change the fucn hard lines! Did I mention that I love old cars!!!

7. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

The neglect of my daily to get one of my projects on the road finally bit me in the ass. The lower ball joint on my lincoln broke off leaving for work yesterday. Luckily I was still in the driveway. So......

After rebuilding the carb and changing the plugs out the Bel starts. We ran a bunch of seafoam though it and it helped a lot. It idles super smooth. Now it's popping through the carb under load though. I tightened the exhaust and intake manifolds and double checked the carb. It all seems to be good. I know I still need to put a timing light on it and check that, but it idles too smooth to be too far off. I put new cap, rotor, points, condensor, and coil. I ordered new plug wires which will be in tommorrow, as well as intake gaskets, exhaust gaskets and doughnuts. I know I need to pull the valve covers and adjust the rockers. Any suggestions on what else to check?

8. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

My abused daily!

[​IMG]

9. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

flip the switch on the bags, and that should be right p! haha. love the car alot. ive had my eye on a wagon in my area

10. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Shit man guys are paying BIG money to lay frame these days. Paint it flat black with red wheels then put it on Epay as a Rat Rod and you'll be gettin paaaaiid!

11. chevydave1965

chevydave1965
    from Iowa

Very cool !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. gassercrazy41

gassercrazy41

13. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

We survived the initial test drive today!! I ended up having to rebuild the carb again and then it went together smooth! Changed the wires and retarted the timing and it runs like a top! I still got some stuff to work out, but it'll be on the road!

14. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Good times, Im happy for yall!

15. gaskell

gaskell
    from CO

16. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

I finaly got this thing on the lift after work to day to fix the leaky ass exhaust, for now anyway. First thing I noticed is that the trans has been switched from a regular 3 spd to a borg warner electric od! So, if any of you guys want one, or know someone who does this thing will be for sale when the 4 spd goes in. It shifts great and seems tight, but as for the od????
    [​IMG]

and a couple of pics of my shitty exhaust job, shitty but not leaky!!

[​IMG]

I know, I hate flowmasters too, but it was free and it works for now!

[​IMG]

And 6 pieces of scrap pipe and a flowmaster later, no exhaust leaks!! yay!! now maybe I can actually get this thing tuned right!

17. davidh73750

davidh73750

do you have the T HANDLE under the dash for the 3 speed? If its original you might even have 4:11 gears. A lot of OD 6cy cars did. OD was mandatory. My 63 has summit welded mufflers for a different sound.

18. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

No, its not factory od. It doesnt have any of the other stuff the od cars had, no foot switch under the accelerator pedal, no relay under the hood, and no od pull switch. I know it doesnt have 4:11 gears cause it doesnt get up that fast!!! As for the muffler, it was off a customers car who is going with all new exhaust cause his was as bad as I just made mine!! hahaha! I have another one that I was going to use and do duels all the way out, but I want glasspacks and I REALLY just wanted the exhaust leaks fixed so it doesnt sound like a diesel anymore. I'll do the glasspacks and duels when I can afford all new pipe and have more than 2 hours to put em in.
    Did you ever get your springs in? And which ones did you get? I'm curious because I was just going to cut mine but I have a lot of sag going on with the left side so that wont work!

19. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Just noticed that this pic looks like a natural light ad! Shitty exhaust, shitty fuel lines, shitty beer!! What more could you want?!?!:D

20. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

It's been a while and Ive got a lot of little stuff done, and some big. I'll just spew it all off and then post some pics. I reworked the exhaust and got rid of the flow meister and put an old glass pack on er. I rebuilt the whole front suspension and cut out 1 1/2 coils. then I cut 2 off the rear coils. I put on some air shocks to keep from beating myself to death on road trips. I shaved the emblems on the deck and qtrs, and my girl stripped the trunk so I could prime it. I pulled out the heater and replaced the core, painting the box and firewall while I was at it. I got new pinner whites on with old caps and new rings. My brother helped me change out the grill and paint the core support last weekend. By helped I mean he did most of the work while I straitened out the caps! Thanks again for the grill babyearl!! It looks soooo much beter than the one I had! Im gonna end up putting the bags I have on the back, it's just not low enough yet. But, thats for another day!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy!

21. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

love those 60's chevy pasenger cars nice score! ill be looking for one myself to add to the stable this spring!

22. 55delray

55delray
    from Florida

Nice save. They are fewer and fewer of these to save. Good work, and cool girlfriend to take and love it.

23. skoh73

skoh73

Progress is lookin' good!

24. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

Yep,,,you must have a cool girlfriend!
    good score on the car!

25. davidh73750

davidh73750

thats awesome. My bel air is now the (johnny cash song) Ive been every where bel air. Been to Lonestar, kkoa, stray kat, hunnert, it's been everywhere.

26. davidh73750

davidh73750

saved this starchief from the mouths of the hungry crusher

Attached Files:

27. 4950ford

4950ford
    from cushing,ok

looking good dude, i'm looking forward to seeing you guys at lonestar.

28. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Thanks all! It's a fun car and the best car I've ever bought for the money!

She's about it! She's pissed that as soon as we got it she got a job that she has to work weekends, so she can't help.

Yea David, this one's gonna be the same way! We'll be at pistons and paint nov. 12th. You Okie's should come down and check it out! It's only a one day show, but one of the best small shows in Texas. It's my personal favorite. The Chupacabra's do a damn fine job of making it a blast every year.

29. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Man David! You wanna let go of any of your addiction, I mean collection? I love any old Pontiac. I was lookin at a 64 grand prix on cl. Big boats with a mean front end! Gotta love it

30. prttyplymouthgal

prttyplymouthgal

Congrats!! Be sure to keep us posted on the progress :)