Register now to get rid of these ads!

my girls first old car!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by niceguyede, Jul 5, 2011.

1. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Maybe someone who knows chevys can chime in here, but I dont know what year they went to alt over gen. I know ford was 64 just cause I have manuals from 60-65. Every chevy Ive ever had, and ive had a bunch, have had alternators. But Ive never had a stock chevy, they were all frankensteins!!

2. drs47ford

drs47ford
    from Western NY

In 1963 GM started using alternator's with external voltage regulators. In 1973 they went to the built in regulator in the alternator. Also, 1962 model year was the last year for the generator but did have 2 optional Delcotron alternators available.

Nice car BTW

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  3. 1950-mercury

1950-mercury

Nice score!!!
    I think 63's are a good looking car.

4. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Thanks! And Thanks!!

5. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

Your girl came up right there

6. skoh73

skoh73

Whoa! What a score-and with only 23k? Congrats and pm me if you want any photoshop work done to give you an idea where you wanna go.

7. NuckinFutz

NuckinFutz
    from GA

Sweet score! She found her a killer first classic. I don't know why, But when I first saw that car, I saw it in desert fawn metalic and a green candy roof with lace. Good luck with the car!

8. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Shit it might, if Im helpin...

9. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Thanks, but Ive already got it in my head. But Im not tellin yet.

10. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Yea, so on second thought.............Ill call ya when its done!!!

12. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  13. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Progress report boys and girls!! we got the rear brake hose on today, flushed the main rear line. I think there's still some gunk in the block and axle lines. We're gonna flush those tommorrow and bleed out the brakes. The starter I had went in with no real trouble, one connector broke off the wire so I just stripped the wire and rapped it around the pole for now. Got the fuel pump on and my trusty 1 gallon gas can, then robbed my lincoln for its battery and hit the key. It didnt spin over twice before the motor came to life!! It is such a sweet sound, the sound of a days work paying off!!! Still, more parts to rob off my uni project. The water pump is shot, but luckily I just bought one for the uni. The carb is in dire need of a rebuild, my parts guy is looking for a kit for me. The ignition system has seen beter days, so I might have to use the mallory I got for the uni, not sure yet. But it runs and sounds sweet for a car that has been sitting for 20 something years!! I'll have more to report tommorrow, until then............

14. 4950ford

4950ford
    from cushing,ok

thats awesome dude, keep plugging away.

15. grapp

grapp

Love it, my second car was a 63 impala convert, it was rotted up past the molding....I cut gastanks up and laid them out as floors and trunks and welded them in, and like a year later they started making the floor pans...that sucked...

16. davidh73750

davidh73750

Hey this is david with red bel air from lonestar. I've had my ol gal since 03. Has dealer installed air, little different than your unit. Mine is 283 2bbl, 3 speed too. My buddy who's car salesman is always trying to sell it for a large sum and I won't do it. That 63 has made 3 lonestar trips, hamb drags, kkoa and others. I've only added HEI to mine. Mine has about 105K. bought it at a garage sale for $400 Yours like mine likely has 3.55 gears (mine even has the factory posi limited slip). It will get 17mpg all day.

I had a 283 with 80's HO 305 heads(Slightly bigger valve and higher compression), 266 crane cam. used 600 cfm carb in a 68biscayne and I would suggest it that combo to you. Your motor is low mileage . I got over 21mpg with that combo going down to lonestar.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
  18. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

That's an amazing score. You really couldn't ask for a better starting point. Definitely interested in seeing updates. :)
    Then what tag did they put on a 12V 6cyl? :confused: I thought the tag color indicated voltage only.

19. You know, Yogi used to say that he cudn't hit and think at the same time. Well, I can't think and type at the same time!!! :eek: I believe what I was trying to say is that before 1955, a 6v system was used and the generator had a black tag. The V8 appeared in 1955 as well as the 12v system, which had the red tag. Bottom line is black tag denotes 6v. Red tag denotes 12v. Thanks for pointing out the need to make that read correctly.

20. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

hey david! Its funny, the first thing my brother said was "now we wont have to have david haul all our stuff around!" hahaha!! I have some double humps I am planing to use on the uni, but you never know, they might end up on the bel. Its kinda funny how quick I pushed that project to the back burner to get this one on the road, but there is still a lot of work to do on the truck and not much on the bel. It doesnt have the posi:( but Im not that concerned. this is just gonna be a cruiser so Im not gonna beef it up too much.
    Unfortunatly a little too much party last night and I stayed in bed all day. It was nice not to be in the heat for a change though!! Im gonna be back on it tommorow after work and hopefully get it stoppin!

21. davidh73750

davidh73750

that bel air will be a lot of fun. Mine has been and has had many shoe changes. She's been a very faithful gal. Using a little oil could use a valve job but its more reliable than a lot of my friends late models.

Attached Files:

22. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Got the grill in that babyearl donated for the cuase, and this thing is perfect compared to the one on the car. Thanks again earl! cant thank you enough!![​IMG]

23. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

We've been busy this morning, got the old a/c unit out and got the new water pump on. Finally got the brakes worked out. It took a couple of cans of brake kleen to get all the lines cleared out of old crappy fluid, but got em all cleaned out and fresh fluid to all 4 wheels. Now the feel like they might stop this beast! I got one of my spare alternators from the shop to switch it over to internal regulator, but the bracket I have isnt the right one. I'm gonna have to wait till monday to fab one up cause of a photo shoot going on at the shop. After lunch we're gonna put it back on the ground and see if we cant move it around the yard into some shade to start messin with the steering column.

24. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

we took our first ride!!! It was only around the yard, but its a start!!

25. davidh73750

davidh73750

Man you guys are determined working out there in this dang heat. Be careful and drink plenty of water. Are you getting it ready for KKOA or what? I went to a friends shop, he has a old church room divider in it, like a room curtain. He's got the ac going in the part he works in 2bays, 85F much better than 105F. I'm thinking of doing something similar. this summer has just been much hotter than most.
    I really like seeing old cars rescued and back on the road. Next wk I'm rescuing a 58 yeoman wagon.

26. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

good find on the yeoman, those are hard to find!! And I'm in the heat every day, I work on classics for a living so the heat is nothing new to me. It just seams hotter this year, I dont know if its because it is or Im just getting old. It sucked not having the two big fans on me that I have at work though!! Prolly not gonna make it for kkoa, but definately gonna make the local shows coming up......Invasion, Pistons and Paint are the goals. Hoping to have the pans done, agas tank in, and a solid coat of epoxy primer over the whole thing. Definately getting the wheels blasted and some decent caps and paint on em, Im not into the red the po did!

27. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Anyone know of a good source for parts for the bel-impala. I just got done taking the crusty old weatherstriping off of the doors. I'm thinking it wont do much good to replace the floor pans if its just going to leak. I've found a few places, but they all seem pretty pricy!

28. davidh73750

davidh73750

anything petroleum based has skyrocketed in price in the past few year, rubber products, tires etc. I have a new trunk seal I need to put on mine. I ordered some new springs from ECKLERS friday. Let you know how that goes

29. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Got the alternator mount done today. Just a quicky to get it on the road, still not low enough for me but it serves its purpose. Still have to get a belt and paint the damn thing, but its gonna work! [​IMG]

The 1 1/4 is how much I had to bend the adjuster bracket to make it line up.

[​IMG]

I didnt take a pic before I put it in, so this is what my camera got up against the wheel well.

[​IMG]

You can see its still pretty high, but at least it's not blocking the view of the motor. I like to see the motor more than anything! Eventually it'll be mounted as low as I can get it, but for now I just want to drive this thing!!!

30. madscience

madscience
    from Caro, MI

Congratulations to your girl! that car is gorgeous, especially for a grand!
    good luck with the build!