Register now to get rid of these ads!

My friends think I am nuts for buying this

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Edsel58a, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

Found this on CL...... Got most of it, 2 trucks and the trailer to get it home!!! Missing was interior, bumpers and grill.
    It is going to be a donor for my Victoria. My frame is very bad and I have been searching a long time for one. The frame on this car is perfect. The body is only sitting there, frame was sandblasted and primered 25 years ago. Even the vin stamping on the frame is clearly legible.
    I also wanted a glasstop, soooo.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. seanrace

seanrace

you're not nuts . .as long as you didn't play through the nose for it and you got the parts you need.

3. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

The glass top alone is worth some big bucks, depends on what you paid but I think you done good.

4. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Don't be discouraged. It looks like it'll buff out nicely....

5. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

Crazy like a Fox! You have to give us more of the story on how a ride like that got well...like that? ;)

6. nutajunka

nutajunka

I think you did good as long as you don't get careless with the roof.

7. GREASEMONKEY72

GREASEMONKEY72

that roof is pretty cool

8. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

You got two major parts that you wanted plus a few bucks for the scrap you aren't going to use. I would look at this way, "I need a frame to get my car back on the road" What's that worth? "I got a major upgrade with the glass top" If I had a glass top model to begin with and it needed to be replaced how much would that cost?

I think you did pretty good even if you did pay too much, I don't know. You wanted what you got and that's all that really matters.

9. millersgarage

millersgarage

a little por-15, and some patch panels, and you're good to go......

it is always a good score, if it has parts you can use.

10. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

I like finding parts cars like that. You get all those little goodies you dont think about until you need an extra one in a car like that.
    Keep everything you can!

11. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

Well, I paid enough for it..... but have all parts needed for my Ford now (had missing damaged trim, side window frames on my car are dented to hell, ect ect) Plus spare pieces can be sold to make-up some cost. Need anything? LOL!

Yes, very careful with roof.

the car was taken apart 25 years ago, stripped and primed...... the end til I got it.

best part is, the Boss at home said "If you don't buy it, I never want to hear you bellyaching about a frame again"

[​IMG]

12. Mr.Dean

Mr.Dean

trust your friends your nuts!!!!!!!!!

13. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

ohhh...... here is the recipiant of said parts. Bought this in Hollywood Florida from a gentleman named Stacy.... if anyone knows him, I lost his number and would like to be in contact with him again.

[​IMG]

14. James427

James427
    BANNED

I just think you need new friends!

15. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

"My friends think I am nuts for buying this "

If they're just now figuring that out they haven't been paying much attention:rolleyes:

16. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

good buy them glasstops are not that common. Heres a pic of my 54 merc glasstop that im in the middle of redoing

[​IMG]

17. recks

recks
    from oceanside

I say you did well! I am excicted to see the progress!!

18. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I don't think your crazy at all. [​IMG]

19. I once had a 55 Glasstop.Beautiful car but it was like riding in a greenhouse.You need to add air conditioning.I have a bald head and it was not pleasant.
    Your friends obviously have no eye for hidden beauty.

20. floydjer

floydjer
    BANNED

Graft that roof onto a`57 Ranchero.........SWEET

21. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

The only "Friend" you need to be concerned with is "The boss at home"And if she said "Do it" then your all set!

22. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Glasstops are cool looking, but I had to get rid of mine back in the eighties, It always felt like I was riding around in a Nyquil bottle! I kid you not, it made me sea sick to drive it! Cool car though.

23. ABONES

ABONES

Thats a good start, no rust to deal with.

24. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

I saw a mustang that looked like that go for over 20 grand on ebay...
    because it had a good title and tags and was a boss 429 car
    you got some choice pickins there.
    I gave up on convertibles when I went bald :)

I knew this guy.. he cut the top out of an eldorado and used shower door track to hold in a sheet of plexiglass... (do I need to say fail? no it's obvious) anyway, your doing it right mate!!! doing it right.
    even if you just use the frame and sell the top your doing it right.

25. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

you did good , saved some viable parts and got cool stuff for your project , my friends call me a junk pirate all the time , they arent into mechanical stuff

26. Rad, nothing wrong with a glass top, and if you were closer, I'd be interested in your victoria top (can't have too many).

However, I did see that car had a dash in it, did it also have a radio? (not to get too off topic) If so, how good does the radio look?

Also, stoked about you build man, take loads of pics and share them with everyone. I'll be following this one for sure!

27. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

looks like someting id bring home! your friends just dont want to help i think

28. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

Well, there were tons of little odds and ends that I needed. Being apart and eveything labeled in boxes and bags was a plus. After hacking up the body with a sawzall, we just lifted the floorpan off, so it saved a ton of work also.
    Plans are to redo the suspension, paint the frame, run brakelines and even install the engine and trans. A friend has a lift with side-swing arms and thinks we can place them below the rockers and lift the body off my car complete (less front clip) roll out the old and roll under the new. Sounds too good to be true.
    [​IMG]

29. Fenders

Fenders

You don't pay too much, you just buy too early......
    Good score!
    And the Boss is wise, keep her !

30. brad chevy

brad chevy

GOOD DEAL,From the sound of things ,you"re probably going to get more help from the boss then your friends.you owe her dude!