Register now to get rid of these ads!

My friends dont like hot rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GovernorKC, Jul 11, 2012.

1. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I have three sets of friends, Hamb friends, street rod friends and work friends. However, I must admit, I find Harleys annoying. I raced a Suzuki 1100E a couple of decades ago.

2. sololobo

sololobo

Not unusual, does it really matter if your so-called friends don't like the motor sports. Do what you do and don't sweat the small stuff. F'men if they can't take a joke. ~sololobo~

3. Just like if they don't get yer avatar,don't bother explainin... I mean,who don't like Captain James T. Kirk of the Starship Enterprise

4. Like I always say: Some people just do not get it.

...but I would sure hope your friends would. Even if they aren't into cars I would think your friends would know you well enough to at least understand why you are.

5. snelson57

snelson57

I am 38 and have 3 daughters 6 and under. I am with the guy who said most of the people that you hang out with are people that your wife met at preschool...

All of my car friends here in town are 20 yrs+ older than me...and they sure have some nice shit. None of my friends my age are into it...my wife could not care less about the cars, but nor does she care if I spend money on them or how many I have.

Ill have a beer and do some bench racing with you sometime...I spend alot of time in Milwaukee and am close to having a hamb friendly car that is highway worthy.

Scott

6. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

what friends? the only people that understand me are here. with this many posts i would say you have alot of friends.

7. VonKool13

VonKool13

I only have a select few people I call friends and they are all hotrodders. The rest of the people I know are just aquaintances, that I don't go anywhere with. I don't go to their kids birthdays, or to the bars, I usually shoot the shit with them for about 10 mins when I have to and try to turn the conversation into traditional hot rodding....they usually stop talking. Win Win.

8. ToddJ

ToddJ
    from Marion, IA

I'd rather spend my weekends hangin' with car guys. I don't get into sitting around listening to a bunch of dudes talk sports statistics, politics or brag about their jobs. I hear that shit all day at work. I'm pretty thankful for the car buddies I have.

9. chubbie

chubbie

:eek::eek::eek::eek:????

10. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Where's McCarthy when you need him.

11. No they arn't. You need a friend with a trailer, one with a hoist, one with a plasma cutter, etc.:D

My friends are about 50-50 some get it other don't.

12. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

my friends dont "like"them per say, but since one has a 59 elky with a big block in his backyard, the other is always coming over to see if he can give us a hand on our 60 f100 or hell we sometimes just sit in them, drink soda and talk about how awesome it will be when it gets on the road, and another has a full on vintage shop that his grandpa owns in his back yard (model a's, t bird, mustangs and a model t)that is so beautiful it makes my pants fit funny, think they are hot rodders by force. the one who is always over tinkering with our trucks just got a hot rod of his own O/T but its a worked over small block powered 72 chevy wagon. . .its pretty awesome! so just give them time and a wrench and it might catch on

13. corpsewheelie

corpsewheelie

most my close friends are into hot rods and american motorcycles, however im the only one actually building a hot rod, 2 of my buds are building motorcycles though. We are all into working on cars but some friends are into imports, euros, trucks but what keeps us all friends is our love for cars, scotch and beer.

14. matysik

matysik

I'll be at symco myself and also am from Milwaukee, WI. Have a few friends that are into my kind of stuff, but none that actually own or have plans to own them in the future. Where in Milwaukee are you?

15. I don't have any friends except you guys.

16. Get new friends!

17. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

Most of my friends are not really into working on cars. The only person in my family who was a hardcore gear head was my uncle who passed away a while ago. That being said, I've been able to get one of my oldest friends interested in cars by helping him fix and maintain his old Toyota camry. It's certainly not a car afficianado's car, but the fact that he is getting a sense of satisfaction from the repair and maintenance has certainly helped him take a few steps toward the light.

18. bridger

bridger

Your a bloody poet . Can you put that on a sticker ? so I can stick it on my rod

19. 62rebel

62rebel

friends are: people who share common interests with you or that you find yourself in constant contact with for no other reason than that you enjoy being around them. over the years, i've found that i don't spend time with a whole lot of people. i spend all day at work, and luckily enjoy being around those guys and our customers for the most part. i don't actually consider them friends just yet, just coworkers i get along with well. i couldn't care a whit for golf/bowling/fishing and /or drinking and partying, so i don't have a bunch of drunken assholes bitching about being hungover around me when i'm working on my car.

i had friends in school. schools out.

20. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

The more people I meet these days the better I like my dog.

21. GovernorKC

GovernorKC

I live on the south side in Bayview

22. Friends are folks usually based on a common interest - acquaintances are usually nice people you like, sometimes having to do with work or kids, but you really do not share a common bond. It may be your spouse has really, really good friends and you have to "tag along" to make it a foursome. I do that to make my wife happy because she does that for me as well. You may have dinner together, maybe even a attend some kind of event together. You just enjoy their company regardless of their interest and/or you "enjoy" them for the sake of your wife.Life has to have a bit of give and take and it will certainly make you appreciate the really good friends you have!

What I am in to is what I am in to and people have to accept me for that fact or move on. That has changed over the years too, depending on my time, kids, and $$ situation. Being older now with a few more dollars and time, it's a little bit easier to do the things I like: golf, woodworking, home improvements, movies. But I'm passionate about my family, hotrods, and my really good friends (and not all are in to hot rods but understand and respect my passion as I understand and respect theirs) because of my passion(s). My son wants nothing to do with hot rods - it kills me that he's that way but I love and respect him for it regardless because he does not put me down for it.

REAL friends do not berate you because of your passion(s) - they'll tease you about it, shake their head sometimes at the depth of your passion for a hobby, but that's all it should be. Anything more than that is because they want something from you, period - your time, your money, your soul - take your pick, that's what they want.

Life is very short - it is said that by the time you "retire", if you have a handfull (5) of really, really close friends you are a very, very lucky and fortunate person.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  23. snelson57

snelson57

I have rentals in Bay View....great area.

24. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

That is very true. All my wifes friends husbands (golfers) all ask about my progress on the hot rod when they see me. When my wife "entertains" the guys all want to go out and look at the Nash.

25. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I was raised with two sisters. My true friends (long term 30+ years) are like adopted brothers, they're all different and I love 'em and hate 'em at different times (sometimes at the same time). None are into cars and mechanical stuff like I am, but they at least try to learn and respect and appreciate what I'm into.

I have a bunch of acquaintences (semi-friends) that are deep into cars. We hang out, but it's not like we have dinner at each other's houses.

My brothers-in-law (on both sides) are all sports-heads. We're clueless about each others' interests. They watch the games while I wrench in the garage. Peaceful coexistence.

26. tucknroll

tucknroll
    from iowa

i would surely find a few friends with old cars. someone with interest the same as yours. you dont have to ditch your old friends but i would bet with your new friends your old ones will fade away some .

27. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> I have to sets of friends. 1<sup>st</sup> are the car people 2<sup>nd</sup> are the others. The only time we ever get together with both at the same time is when we have a party.
    Then I set up the garage with table and chairs for the car people, they stay out there most of the time. The others stay in the house or patio or around the pool; some of them will peek in the garage to see what is going on, but never stay very long.
    The no car group thinks I am crazy for working on cars, they don&#8217;t get it.
    I tell them it is an art as much as painting and drawing or being an artist.
    Cars are my art of self expression.

28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I have lots of car projects, and there are car people around here. (been here 23 years, but there are only a few guys that can understand what all I do...

I have perhaps 3 addresses that I might drive to when I get something new running, but my one friend is my young wife. She is still passionate about our hot rods, and I never go to any car function without her...the only complaint she ever makes is when we go to the drags and "have to take the support vehicle"...
    It's an inside joke, because I've had the '55 F100 since '72, and it's gone from "nice truck" to shop truck, tool-and-engine carrier to Drag race events, then back to primer,
    but is always welcomed at runs we attend. (veteran)

Those events bring new acquaintances, but they're usually wanna-bes that talk up this big history, then show us some dirty oldie with fresh WWWs, and a lot of cheap repop parts.
    My wife is always nice, but I'm becoming less tolerant.

Where I came from, there were many more builders. (and way more posers) Just gets worse as time goes on.

29. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

I am up here in Manitowoc and there is not much of a car scene either.

30. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Do a shout out on here with people from Wisconsin in your area too come by and help you work on your cars I'm sure you'll find similar interested people up there .