Register now to get rid of these ads!

My friends dont like hot rods

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GovernorKC, Jul 11, 2012.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I dont watch much TV...:D

2. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

Fuck 'em!
    with that attitude it's no wonder I don't have any friends
    I figured I would point that out before someone else did :D

3. my freinds like cars but nothing like i do.

4. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

What he said

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

some people you just cant reach

6. brandyspaw

brandyspaw

Most of my friends are either dead or at least a thousand miles away since I've moved. So I have sorta been looking for like minded individuals. However, trying to find and meet new people who are into cars has been rather challenging.

An interesting trend I've found is that there are fewer and fewer people I meet these days who are into old cars, hot rods, etc. This seems to occur regardless of the age as it isn't just younger people.

I'm sure some of it is the poor economy and changing trends but, compared to just 10 years ago, there seem to be fewer people into any type of car culture. And the amount of traditional enthusiats is even slimmer than the "mainstream" type of gearheads.

I guess its good I've always been a lone wolf type of individual.

7. cakes

cakes

Pretty much all of my friends are either into cars or guns, mostly both. I don't think any of them would ever own an old car though, they either don't care or don't know.

8. Tommy R

Tommy R

I've got a couple different "circles" of friends. I either met them in college, racing cars, offroading, football, work friends, or from some other hobbies I have/had. Some work on their own cars. Some are gearheads of one form or another.

But I'll say this... Every single friend of mine (from all walks of life) seems to think it's cool as shit that I'm building a hot rod in my garage. Even my non-gearhead friends frequently ask about the progress on the coupe. It's actually a damn good feeling to have non-car folks ask so many questions. Honestly, I think most people don't even realize we all do this kind of thing.

That all being said, I wouldn't want just friends who only share one interest with me. Each friend of mine has introduced me to something. Without such diverse interests and experiences, the world would get damn boring.

9. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

Yeah, the guys I work with all think I'm weird. I drive 60+ year old cars, and 6 moths out of the year I go to something car related nearly every weekend, and on ocassion I take off a day or two to go to an event, they think that missing work for a car show is stupid. But if I ook off for a Cardinals game, or to go hunt something then it would be justified. Most of my friends are car guys and many on here, but like most they have their families I have mine, and we all live at least 20 miles apart. so the local cruises are about the only times I see them. Non car guys will really never get it.

10. Be like me and dont have any friends lol!

11. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And some of us over react to something not directed at us, sorry for the rant, no offense meant Jack.

Doc.

12. My closest friends are car people. The ones I like the most and trust completely I have been friends with for over 40 years. I do have friends that are not into cars, but we have other connections.
    I do not understand people that have no desire to build or create things. Just to sit around and drink and watch sports is really hollow. When I leave this planet there will be lots of reminders of my having been here. My friends get it and do the same to varying degrees.
    If you want to hang with car guys then go to car functions find guys that live near you, help someone with a project. Maybe you can make friends with like tastes and values.

Good Luck
    Alden

13. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Most of my friends are old mechanics, I've worked with and who share my love and passion for cars. People my own age, is not my cup of tea, they only want Prius and cars like that. I hate new cars!!! Is a Prius actualy a car, or an insult to real cars?

And if i think long and hard about it, i have 2 friends who ain't like cars, but still like driving.
    And that might be all the thinking i need to do for the rest of the day ;-)

14. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Most of my friends have a 32 Ford. :D

15. Zerk

Zerk

There are a lot of solid answers in this thread, but I don't understand the "get new friends" contingent.
    How long did it take to find people whose company you enjoy? It was a process that parallelled your school, work and social life, and probably went on for years.
    If you figure it's easy to start over, you're fooling yourself. Keep those old friends while you make new car friends.

16. thechopperguy

thechopperguy

Your friend Jim is a good friend of mine too!

17. My friends all get it, my colleagues , some not so much...

18. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

HERE HERE. Friends are hotrodders the rest of the people that I know are just acquaintances.

19. Tommy R

Tommy R

This. ^^ Just 'cause some of my friends aren't into cars (or more specifically...old cars), doesn't mean they're not good friends who are great to hang with.

20. " Tie them to the car and drag them "

Attached Files:

21. Sweepspear

Sweepspear

Sounds like your the odd man out in the group. Belong to any car clubs?

Do people still golf? It seems so early 90's to me. lol.
    I never understood it either. Whatever floats yer boat as they say.

22. pumpman

pumpman

Guess I'm very lucky, most of the people I consider friends are into Hot Rods and bikes. But I will say the other people I have to deal with because they're my wife's friends are very nice and always want to see what I am working on and the progress. As for my clients I don't let them know shit about who I really am. They mostly are golfers and bullshiter's and always trying to top the next guy. Go figure.

23. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

24. Lazlobassett

Lazlobassett

Only friend I have who doesn't like old cars n bikes is my girlfiend...and I like it that way.

25. msalamanca

msalamanca

Most of the people I used to hang with listened to rockabilly, psychobilly, punk etc. I was in bands and played or toured alot. So all my friends liked old cars etc. kinda goes hand in hand with the music and scene.

I stopped playing music for a couple years, changed almost all my friends and craziness. I have a few friends that like old cars, but would never own one.

Its cool to have friends into the same thing, help, encouragement, or even compete as to who will get it running faster. But then again, I enjoy being alone, in my own thoughts, listening to music, hanging with my dogs.

26. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

I'm 23, I have the group of people that get it, and the ones who don't.
    The ones that do, are my club members, they get it.
    The ones that don't I hang around with and just expect them not to get anything about it. They just respect that I love it.

27. TERPU

TERPU

Dear Abby-

Not to get Sappy but my best friend also sleeps with me. 23 years now She's tolerated myself. After that a couple of good guys who I can trust and like stuff I like. I take the word friend on a whole different level than most though. It's a serious commitment being my friend and it's not for the faint of heart. I'll help anybody but to call yourself my friend means I'll help you for life no matter what the circumstance. Buddies, well hell we've all got a ton of those. Don't sweat it you'll find your bunch sooner or later but it doesn't mean you gotta kick the current ones to the curb. I avail myself to all walks of society and always have. If everybody I knew liked the same goofy stuff I do I'd get bored pretty quick.

Tim

28. This might be alittle different for me has i am part of the younger crowd on here (22). But this kind of came to my attention two weeks ago when i was over at my buddys house having some beers. A bunch of us were hanging out in the shop and a buddy of mine asked if you could have any five cars what would they be. I was the only one that talked about anything pre 70's. When the first one I talked about was a 31 A with a flatty or poncho 389 they looked at me like i had three heads. "Why would you want that?" "That's an old fart car!". All my freinds are into cars and work on cars. But for the most part if it doesn't have fuel injectors they aren't really that into it. I like late model stuff too ( early 90's 5.0 mustang was on my list too) but "old fart cars" are my main interest.

29. Truckedup

Truckedup

A friend will help you move.A good friend will help you move a body.That's all I need to know and if they like old junk that's ok too.

30. Well put! Ditto I say,Ditto!