Register now to get rid of these ads!

My fortune

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by hotrod36, Jul 21, 2008.

1. hotrod36

hotrod36

I've been a Hammer for quite some time but have never posted anything before. I thought I would give everyone a little info on myself. I was brain washed as a small child and therefore been into Hot Rods since birth. I should have listen to my father from the start but we never do. I was told to never become a mechanic because he is and he says the trade sucks. Well I became one out of High school and never really enjoyed the job, it took the passion out of Hot Rods, I guess from turning wrenches all day. After seven years in the trade I decided to take an other route and become an Auto shop teacher. It has been the greatest job I could of ask for. Since I have the summer off, I've started an antique and collector car appraisal company for the summer months. Although I'm a traditional hot rod guy and always have been, my first car wasn't but but comes with a great story. It started out as a sixteenth birthday present and was to be a fifties mild Kustom. It was suppose to have a y block , tri power, three in the tree, fender skirts, purple paint with cream scallops, cream tuck and roll, spot lights, a 42 Ford grill with the centre removed, and Sombrero caps. At the time my father had installed a 302 in his 1948 Canadian Monarch and thought for reliability and convenience and small block Ford would be a better choice. He even decided that a C4 automatic in my 47 would be a good idea. Which I’ll let everyone know it went in the garbage. I needed the third pedal... I know at the time he was being a father and hoping to keep his sixteen year old safe. For some reason I never believed my 47 Kustom would look right with a modern engine under the hood so I changed my style to a Custom. Over the next seven years my father and I would work countlessly in the garage on my 47. I know for sure there was at least a argument or 2 in his 16x20 garage. From one engine swap, I had made my mine up. It was going to have billet wheels and air ride. At the age of 22, I finally had the 47 road worthy and it’s first ride was to Kalamazoo MI. Without any problems, except for burning 12 quarts of oil on the trip. The engine had a scored piston wall and a bad valve seal. I'm guessing from the engine sitting for the seven yeas during the building process. From the time I got the 302 running, when my parents would go out, I would take it for a blast up the street. One time meeting my father in the driveway, he was standing with a rubber hammer in his hand, ready to unleash his anger. He still never took the keys out of the ignition though. Till this day my father and I are countlessly in our garages working on new projects. It’s funny though, his 1947 Ford convertible we are currently building has a y block in it with tri power and it’s going to be a full Kustom. All the best...

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  2. Welcome to the H.A.M.B

3. Welcome from Connecticut

4. big bad john

big bad john

......Jamie....nice intro.....enjoy the ride on the H.A.M.B.....Big Bad John