Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My fleetline no turning back...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by malibustevens, Jan 31, 2012.

1. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Well I have the engine and three speed ready to come out, disconnected the propeller shaft, what a weird setup this tube rearend is with the u joints inclosed.

Anyways just need to pick up the engine hoist from my buddy and yank this stuff.

Anyone want a 216 and a 3 speed????

2. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Wow..that was some extensive welding work and not for the faint of heart. great job man!

3. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Well thanks Hot rod.......it was intimidating but I want to drive it, so I just went for it, im sure many others could do a much better job, but hey at least I can say I did it myself.

Cant wait to get the v8 in!

4. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Motor and trans pulled.....pics to come soon

5. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

I lied... still no pictures, but i have been busting my ass trying to get the car on the road for the iron invasion on Oct. 6th.

This is an update..... 53 frontend installed and rebuilt ( mostly) 10 bolt rear end with 355 posi, dearched rear leafs (thanks greaser) new brakes, lines, master, new fuel tank and lines, welded in waltons v8 mounts, fabbed up my own trans crossmember, installed a 283 with th350 all that's left to get it on the road is finish up the shift link, put u joints in driveshaft install throttle pedal and cable, a few wires and tighten bolts.

I will have pics......but all my free time is with my family or wrenching.

6. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Well a lot has happened since i last posted pics, 53 front end, cleaned up engine compartment and frame, new rear end, 283 installed, trans, New breaks/ lines wiring, well the car drives now......... so is time for pics.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Well it's a good thing i don't work on computers, pics did not seem to work, i wish i could find an early way to get them from my phone to this thread..... I'll try when i get home.

8. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

9. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My girl....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  10. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know i know i need to get rid of the ladder bars, that's all i had for the bottom plates!

11. Awesome work so far, man!

Congratulations!!! :D

12. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Thanks, it was only about a year ago i pulled it out from someone's back yard, goal is the show iron invasion.......in about a week from now.

13. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Drove it for the first time to the gas station, open headers are fun.... for a little while. I took the car in for dual exhaust and i am very happy. Went with thrush glass packs and pipes out the back. Quiet at idle and nice deep rap when on it. This car drives much better than i thought it would, very smooth. Now i can start to get the body banged into shape, but if i want i can hop in and go for a drive, that's what other all about.

[​IMG]

14. jetslide

jetslide
    from norway

bought my panels fron chevy`s of the 40`s, and i have the same problem, doesnt fit at all, the quarterpanel doesnt match the doorgap, and i have to cut it in the bottom, same as you, the inner rockerpanel doesnt fit the outer rocker, to short,in hight, and so on. the previous owner have cut the car in half, so my doors doest fit the opening and much more, i hoped with new parts with a perfect stamp as the add sayd. i was hoping to figure out the alligment better,but no way, have to guess and make the parts myself and cross my fingers and hope i`m right

15. I really like the way your car turned out; always liked these 49-54 Chevs, specially the Fleetlines. Have fun.

16. Great job! Can you come over and put all the same panels in mine? ;)

17. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Superb looking ride you've got. I'm subscribed!

18. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Well the car made it to it's first event, the iron invasion, with no problems, what a great show, if you can make it next year you should go, over 600 cars, not so bad for the first one. Wish i had heat.....

19. Cruiser

Cruiser

Looking good having fun in a fleetline, it's on the the road and that's cool. :D

CRUISER :cool:

20. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

1377276834571.jpg 1377276868310.jpg 1377276918893.jpg

Some pictures for anyone who might care.....been banging the roof out... still needs more, far better lines than the oak tree left in it! And one just for fun!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

1379166315329.jpg

Lowered the car another 3 in the back.... so with the dearched springs, it's a total of something like 5 and a half from stock.

1379166315329.jpg

Attached Files:

22. 5559

from tn

looks like good work

23. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Man you're doing a great job! I know that felt awesome driving her around and knowing that you did all of this yourself! Have a blast!~

24. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Thanks guys! Is been hard to find time lately, but your right it feels good driving knowing i brought this car back to life ( even of its not pretty yet) and will continue on rather than being sacrificed to the scrap gods.
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Me and my girl are planning on making the haul to vintage torque fest in may....so want to do a few things to make it a bit more presentable and safer.

Ordered blinker switch and tail light lenses. Figured out the vacuum wipers n got the motor/switch working and am waiting on the bushings. Sanded painted and repaired the heater to be installed. Hopefully will have time to finish the roof and hood and get some primer on them.

Will start posting progress pictures again, for now here are some pictures of the slow process of welding the hood seam.

Attached Files:

26. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Rebuilt heater...

Attached Files:

27. randy

randy

I dig it. Subscribed.

28. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Well nothing picture worthy yet. Spent last night cleaning up the insulation off the roof of the interior, soon to be installing sound deadening to most of the insides.
    Removed radio (not working) started mocking up mp3 and speaker, amp, should be slick and hidden mostly.

Found out my tail pipes are getting smashed by the rear end since lowering, will need to remove and install dumps for now.
    Will begin work on dropping the front while i wait for parts and get my hands on a welder again.

Thanks for reading, its this site and your comments that keep me motivated! Promise to have a more interesting to look at post soon!

29. malibustevens

malibustevens
    from Illinois

Problems with my lower control arms, and the rest of it being in worse then i thought condition are forcing me to get another front end...luckily a fellow hamber is pulling his for a m2 bag setup and willing to sell it to me.

So me and my daughter sealed the floors, instead of 3m seam sealer i am using duct sealant. Its very inexpensive, its used to seal exterior/interior commercial ductwork, its waterproof, low voc, dries fast and hard. This stuff is so easy to apply and i only used about a quarter of the $12 tub.

Here are some pics...

Attached Files:

30. johnwd98

johnwd98
    from Minnesota

I've been following your build. I am working a 50 Fleetline too. It's close to the same build as yours and, I do have build thread on here too. Did you get the duct sealant from someplace like Home Depot? I'm not welding my hood seam but, I need the molding that's on the top of the hood. Would you bee interested in selling and shipping yours?