Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Flathead has Balls

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by prpmmp, Mar 24, 2013.

1. prpmmp

prpmmp

Not Good!! Paint Balls!! Long story short,bought a flathead(8BA) a month ago or so,All assembled except manifold(a rebuild but do not know how long ago)I,m third owner and its never run. Took off heads and pan to inspect inside. Left side water jackets have about 16(that I can see) orange paint balls,got 4 out but the rest are trapped. The ones I got out are soaking in water and one in simple green hoping they break down so I can flush out. Any ideas?? Pete

2. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

smash them up and flush them out?

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

What the crap is a paint ball??

4. prpmmp

prpmmp

Hey!! tried to(very hard,maybe old,water softens them)plus they move around and there is very little room. I did not put water in the block yet. Pete

5. prpmmp

prpmmp

Hey!! Them friggin paint ball guns.I don't have one!! Pete

6. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Seriously , what rock do you live under.. I'm 65 & know what a paintball is!!! Time to get out in the sun..broaden your horizons..

dave

7. mcnally351

mcnally351
    from boston

Add a little heat, then flush it out.

8. I was thinking about heat as well. If you can get the outer shell to melt then you can just flush it.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

Might also try vinegar. Maybe try and float them out with water, or shoot air in low with the water to help float them out.

10. prpmmp

prpmmp

Yeah I'll try hot water,they have to break down to fit between the cylinder walls. I was thinking to put the head on and flush thru the head outlet and hoping they go out the water pump opening. Pete

11. chaddilac

chaddilac

Cause this is a automotive site and I was thinking spray paint balls! that's why, seems you're the paintball expert, you're on the wrong site!

Put a fish hook on a wire and get em out, they're soft so it shouldn't be a problem.

12. prpmmp

prpmmp

Vinegar might work!! The balls don't float!! dense little suckers!! Pete

13. prpmmp

prpmmp

Tried tig wire,they fall off(it's tight down there!!) and they only fit thru the bigger holes at the back. Pete

14. seatex

seatex

WTF? So........paint balls, water jackets......how exactly does that matchup? Please enlighten me...........:confused:

15. seatex

seatex

WTF? So........paint balls, water jackets......how exactly does that matchup? Please enlighten me...........:confused:

16. prpmmp

prpmmp

Not a clue!! sabotage on the first owner? (balls had to be put in before the head was installed, disgruntle employee?? where the motor was rebuilt) or maybe small children playing around?? just don't know!! Pete

17. Drivinford

Drivinford

try heating up a long nail sticking them with it. I think they might hang on to the nail and come out. Idk its the best i could think of

18. Okatoma cruiser

Okatoma cruiser
    from Ms

^^^^^ what he said sounds good

19. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

Flip the engine upsidedown and shake it! Gravity?

20. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

just put some water on them and they will break down. they are not "paint" but really colored soap. shouldnt hurt anything to just rinse them out

21. Nailhead Jeff

Nailhead Jeff
    from fresno

Are you 100% sure that there paint palls? Silver seal used to sell a block sealer in little balls that looked just like paint balls. One machine shop I worked in used to drop them down into the water jackets of all the blocks we repaired before the heads went on.

22. piker

piker
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

23. prpmmp

prpmmp

Hey Jeff!! No not really sure if they are paint balls(son thought they were)but they are only on one side,I have some soaking in water to see if they break down(I hope so) Pete

24. prpmmp

prpmmp

Hey!! I have it on a engine stand and been spining it,got one out that way,they are about 3/4 in round and get jammed very easy.Pete

25. prpmmp

prpmmp

Hey!! I'm hoping you are right!! Pete

26. buelligan

buelligan

Can you get the nozzel of a can of carb cleaner into close proximity of the paint balls? Most of the paint ball I have had are water based paint and the shell will not stand up to carb cleaner.

27. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

I am pretty sure That the pinball capsule is made out of gelatin ore a vegetable based variant just like the pill capsules are. Paintballs are meant to be biodegradable. I'm thinking some hot water poured I've rhyme to dissolve them followed by a good rinse should do the trick. Good luck

28. prpmmp

prpmmp

Hey!! put them in thinner didn't do anything. I'll try carb cleaner. Thanks Pete

29. prpmmp

prpmmp

Hey! yeah read on the net it may take 3 days to dissolve,I,m going to make a plate to cover up the front where the waterpump goes and fill with water and hope they dissolve enough to flush out!! Thanks Pete

30. Once you get them out, we gotta figure out why they were in there.