Register now to get rid of these ads!

My flathead broke again - Anyone using a Speedway starter?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Missing Link, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Missing Link

Missing Link

Hey! What a shock! My flathead broke again this week, twice actually. I guess it could have been worse. First it launched an alternator on sunday, which was a simple fix on monday. Then today the gayness over reigned the starter. So I tried everyone locally to get a starter asap since we have plans to attend a show this friday thru sunday. No one around had a starter so I had to go to Speedway for one. Paid throught he nose for overnight delivery, but what the hell you gonna do?
    My question is this; are any of you flathead guys using one of these starters and if you are, did it take any modifications to the replacement starter? Believe it or not this will be my first flathead starter exploit so I ain't be knowin' much 'bout this deal. I won't see the Speedway starter until thursday so if I need to prep anything for installation i can take care of it tomorrow. Is this a direct bolt in or is there some funky shit that I need to do with the bendix or anything else? I have no idea how to even take one of these starters apart and replace brushes correctly, so if you know of anything please respond to me as if I normally use crayons and finger paints and wear a leather helmet (which I normally do)...in other words don't leave out any small details or use big words that I won't understand. Thanks.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Well if your talkin about the speedway gear reduction starter it seems like overkill to me being that a flathead is such a low compression motor. Never used one just my 2c worth

3. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

If it's the one I have, it bolts right in.
    It's more compact. As far as gear reduction goes, it spins the engine better. Especially with high compression.