Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects my first project thread, 52 Desoto

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BRAINS!, Jun 2, 2013.

1. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

Got the old rear end and the gas tank out today, the gas in the tank had basically turned back to crude oil and it has some rust holes on the top corner so Ill be needing a new one of those, I was surprised how small the gas tank is. I am also wondering this, When I put the new rear end in I want to put it under the leaf springs instead of on top so it sits higher in the rear, that shouldnt be a problem should it?

15995039674_a07db15935_k.jpg 16409940827_29cff7abc3_k.jpg

2. Moto Moto

Moto Moto
    from Krum, TX

You have to swap the spring perches around.

Nice Desoto sir.

3. O.Hove

O.Hove
    Member Emeritus
    from S.D.

Got it on the road yet.?
    Love them Desoto's and hemi's

4. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

Thank you, Im gonna put a jeep rear end in it so the perches should already be on the correct side I think

5. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

It will be soon, I love them too

6. 73RR

73RR

It will sit a lot higher...like 5-6 inches:eek: Are you sure that is what you want?

7. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

it sits pretty low in the back, will it really raise 5-6 inches? i was thinking like 4, I guess Ill have to try it and see how it looks

8. porky55

porky55

A better way to achieve your goal, is maybe adjustable shackles.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

Ahhh I hadnt thought of that and that may be the answer

10. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

I am looking at a jeep rear end that is 44 inches from perch to perch center and the old one is 42 1/2, am I going to be able to make that work or no?

11. 73RR

73RR

No, you will need to relocate them. You might get by with a ½ difference but not 1½".
    Additionally, the Jeep perch is most likely too wide. Trailer supply houses have perches for the narrower
    1¾" wide spring although you might have to 'adjust' the perch for the axle tube diameter.
    Also take a look at the front mount on the spring; you may be better off making height adjustments there rather than the shackle.
    How do the measurements compare for the wheel mounting surface?

12. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

i think there is a 1/2 difference, is there anything that is a bolt in swap? like maybe the 8.8 exploder, I dont have fab abilities or a welder at my house

13. jimcolwell

jimcolwell
    from Amarillo

The perches are no big deal. I ran my a year before I welded them. Just don't shower down on the car. A muffler shop will weld them free of charge, probably. You could grind the old perches off and get new ones at a trailer parts supply.

14. I just found and read this whole thread.
    Nice work, keen to follow along and see you go for that first drive.

Didn't someone in the first 3 or 4 pages suggest a guy who knows an exact fitting diff?

15. farmer12

farmer12

Like Jeff, I also just found this thread. Great work so far!

16. 73RR

73RR

Measure your axle and compare to this http://www.qualityengineeredcomponents.com/?page_id=1023
    You might get by with skinny springs on a fat perch but you will need to mock it up and see how the u-bolts and plates fit.
    Also keep in mind that if/when you replace the perches you must re-set the pinion angle.

17. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1425051448.925590.jpg

Got my package from 73rr yesterday as well as my hei dizzy and plug wires. I was able to cut the boots off and put my original porcelain boots on. Should hopefully be firing it next week. Just waiting on oil and a fuel pump to show up. It's looking awesome!!

kidcampbell71 and kiwijeff like this.
  18. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

I found a rear end out of a 94 Cherokee. I'll just have to cut the control arm mounts off and get perches welded on when the guy comes to do my cross member

19. George

George

Been a lot of problems with OEM F/Ps the last few years, I used a HH adaptor & an LA F/P. What oil pump you using?

20. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

I got the HH adapter and 318 pump from them. It's gonna be here today! I picked up a battery and battery cables this am. It's all coming together!

21. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

Well I hooked up the battery this am and tapped they key and she has life! Didn't do much more since I spaced on the oil pump primer shaft so trying to get that overnighted so I can try and fire it on Sunday! My alternator that I scored here in the classifieds will be here today!

22. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

So I am wondering something. The ignition is connected to a metal like conduit that goes through the firewall and one wire sticks out the end of it. Where does that wire go? Neutral safety switch? I'm guessing no though since the motor turned over when I hit the key

23. George

George

Other than what you have to, like priming the oil system thoroughly, don't be spinning the engine. You need to keep as much cam lube on the lobes as possible until you're ready to start.

24. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

TOMORROW is the day!!!! I got the oiling system primed, just need to pick up a new temp gauge in the am since the stock wont reach to the water pump housing since the 55 intake has an electronic temp gauge the stock 52 manual gauge wont fit in the 55 spot, also got get a tach and an alternator belt and some oil since somehow the oil filter loosened and I pumped a few quarts out while I was priming ugh, super stoked!!!

25. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

Well I tried to fire it yesterday with no luck. I'm pretty sure the timing is still off Hopefully I can find someone to give me a hand this weekend bc it's awful hard for me to turn the key and mess with the motor at the same time

26. 73RR

73RR

What did it do or, not do?
    Wheeze?
    Cough?
    Backfire? (with or w/o actual fire)

How long did you try?

27. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

It seemed like it tried to hit once. I didn't have a whole of time to try it and I didn't want to spin the engine excessively. I got the oiling system all primed up and dumped 2 capfuls of gas down the carb. I'll have to mess with it some more this weekend. Recheck the timing It also didn't seem like the fuel pump was pumping but like I said I wasn't turning over the engine excessively

28. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

Tried to fire it again today. Not getting any spark. Need to figure that out and she should fire!

29. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

Well I'm not sure what's up but I found out why I am not getting any spark. It keeps blowing the fuse every time I turn the key on so something isn't right. Thinking i may need a new ignition switch. Here are some pics of my wiring. Anyone I the southern NH area that knows about wiring I am offering beer and some cash for assistance
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427844906.261662.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427844929.389806.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1427844947.361179.jpg

30. BRAINS!

BRAINS!

Anyone? I called customer service and this was how the guy told me to wire the switch. The wire at the bottom of the ignition terminal pictured is the red one and that black conduit that is coming out of the ignition goes through the firewall and there is a wire coming out the end of it, is there a wire that needs to go there? I was told that these aftermarket harnesses were idiot proof, clearly I must be an idiot bc I really have no clue, I hate wiring