Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My first project taking up the garage 52 ford mainline

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by cdoh, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Model T1

Model T1

Brake fluid on a hot exhaust and plug wires is not a good thing! Oh the memories!----------- Actually I don't laugh. I think of how the car could have burned. Still I remember instead of going to the lake to camp we spent the nite with two kids in a 54 Ford along a busy highway at a small filling station. Next day I must have called a friend who lived near to take me back to town to buy more new plug wires. Those suckers on the left bank completely burned.
    I'm guessing I overfilled the stock master and fluid burped out the little breather in the top plug.
    Why do I remmber these things and forget what I ate for breakfast? o_O
    Also these new builds help us old farts remember the past so keep building.
    I removed all of my headlite eyebrows too. Maybe it was eyeball surgery but I wasn't seeing that well with them. Could be the new haligon headlites?

2. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

nice, very well thought out build

cdoh likes this.
  3. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

used Suburban Drive Line to have a new drive shaft made. and it fit perfect. so last night was the first time it rolled out of the garage. and it all actually worked. all my fabrication and problem solving with much help from you guys on The Hamb have built a moving machine that im very proud of. i wish i could post a video.

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  4. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

ok so i new that all my glory was too good to be true. the motor will idle without issue. but when i give it any kind of revs the motor breaks up real bad. i put a timing light on this thing and i cant get a constant spark. when i pull the trigger on the timing light the flashing skips around.

5. Timbofor

Timbofor

Worn out distributor, or the points spring is weak making it bounce around. Or bad distributor cap. Could even be the plug wires arcing to one another.

6. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

Cap and rotor and new. Wires and plugs are new. So maybe the points like you said. It's like that for all cylinders

7. ArcLighter

ArcLighter

GB52Ford-sepia.jpg Your '52 brings back memories of one that I had in '59. I'll try to load an old picture; see the '57 Buick side chrome strip, and the '57 Buick grill.

flamingokid, voodookustoms and cdoh like this.
  8. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

That's really cool. And that trim fits the car better than I would have ever thought. Mean looking ride you had.

9. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

My dad has a 58 Buick. Maybe. I can convince him to let me steal the trim. Haha

10. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

Turns out the points where DEAD!!!! And the distributed was off a tooth. Now the flatly turns like a champ and I'm one step closer to showing off my work at the downers car show

deto likes this.
  11. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

Arc,
    I notice we may have twins, except for the CK on the rear.:cool:

I see the chrome headlight bezels on your '52, I'm thinking they may have been a dealer add-on.
    Did you get them aftermarket?
    They've been on "Bertha" since we got her in '76, I've not seen any other's, a bit of a mystery how they got there.:confused:
    [​IMG]

Bob

12. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1435232966.434659.jpg
    Put 2 water temps and an oil pressure in last night. I've got about 25 pounds of oil pressure on a hot motor and the water it doesn't seem to get above 150 degrees. I feel like that's a little low.

13. jkluge

jkluge

What gauges are those?

14. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

They are called Equus gauges from Oreillys. I didnt have the money for good ones and I'm really excited to drive this thing. haha. Keep in mind they are cheap. its like 30 bucks a gauge.

15. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

It doesn't matter how much they cost, it's how well they work that matters.

16. ArcLighter

ArcLighter

Bob,
    The chrome headlight rims were on my '52 when I bought it in '58; the car was originally from Cleveland, TN.....I lost track of it in '62.....nearly 400k when I sold it! (5 engines!)

17. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

Arc.

5 engines!!!!!!!!!! That is what I call loyalty!!!!!!!!!!

18. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

had the car on the road with other cars for the first time last night. 5th gear is a dream! took it over to a resto shop to hang with an old hot rodder and show him the car. ended up getting a set for 60 lincoln tail light lenses he lad laying around. he told me he wasnt gonna sell them but they looked too good on the car. check out. they fit really nice. now i have to figure out how to mount them in a not hacked up way

Attached Files:

MyCrustyVW likes this.
  19. Those look cool! Are you planning on frenching them?

20. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Sweet, nice score! Gotta love getting it out and cruising it.

cdoh likes this.
  21. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

ya know. I wasnt planning on it but after seen what you and some other guys have done. Im really considering it.

22. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

if anyone knows any tricks on molding the lincoln tail lights to the ford ones let me know. i wanny try and stay away from just though bolting it if i can

23. I would do it just like I did mine. You'll have to cut the inside of the bezel to get the light to fit from inside the trunk, and weld the bezel to the fender. Easier said than done, but with your ingenuity I'm sure you could make it work.

24. Slopok

Slopok

There's no way that gauge can be right, a Flathead will never be at 150 degrees on an 85 degree day. If you can do that then you'd better sell other people your secret and become a wealthy man. The hotter a Flathead gets the less oil pressure you will have. Did you clean out the oil pump screen when you had the motor out?

25. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

I thought that 150 was cool. After driving it. It got to about 180-190 and the oil pressure went to about 25 and yes. I did clean the screen

26. Slopok

Slopok

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.
    By the way there's a nice show tomorrow in Yorkville, Gears & Ears, you may want to check it out.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  27. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

Sorry I worded that a little weird. When the oil is cold it's about 50 psi. And when the oil gets hot under normal driving its down to 25 psi. So I think my oil pressure is good. And the water temp has been sitting about 170 to 180. So I should be good there too.

And yes. I just heard about that show today actually I'm seeking if my buddy wants to cruise out there with me thanks

28. Slopok

Slopok

That is normal, what weight oil are you using? If you run Valvoline VR-1 20/50 you can increase your oil pressure to about 50 psi when hot. Are you running 160 thermostats and without a hood?

29. cdoh

cdoh
    from chicago

I'm using no straight 40 weight oil. And no thermostats. And sadly I won't be at the show today

30. Slopok

Slopok

It will run cooler with 160 thermostats. I am unable to go as well.