Register now to get rid of these ads!

My first Longroof!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cortney, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Cortney

Cortney

Well the tittle says it all! Its a 64 Chevelle malibu 9 passanger. Although this is not my first Chevelle, this is my first Wagon for sure. I know that its border line OT, BUT, the plan is to go with an early sixties mild custom aproach. Chrome steelies, thin whites white rolls n pleats etc... Right now I have a light green with lots of pear in my brain for the paint. And with the roof white with heavy green flake. I already have a 68 327 that will eventually make its way into the engine bay and lots of plans for that as well! Anyways, lots of work to do! Been looking for some inspiration but all I can find is the muscle car stuff. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

Turn it into a two door wagon!!

3. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

Awesome wagon! Congrats! Its even a 9 pass thats cool.

4. Cortney

Cortney

Thanks! Maybe if my metal working skills were a lot better I would try my luck making it a 2dr! But for now, more door it is!

5. Cortney

Cortney

Mocked up the ride height today.

Attached Files:

6. halfasskustoms

halfasskustoms
    from Durham NC

Thats a kool wagon man.

7. Cortney

Cortney

Thanks!

8. keep it a 4dr! great longroof!

9. This is as close as I can get with some inspiration. 230 six, T-5. cut coils.

Attached Files:

10. Cortney

Cortney

That's beautiful! ^^^^^^^^^ What wheels and tires are you running?

11. Cool wag Cortney. I have a 64 also, got it from the son of the original owner. Was 283 (like yours was) and factory 4 speed. Its 454/4 speed now and the weight dropped it to just about what you came up with in the mock/pic. Cool cars, can't wait to see your come together as a custom.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  12. Cortney

Cortney

Thanks! Deffinitely staying 4dr!

Thanks! I would love to go 4 or 5spd!! Are you still running the stock gear ratio? I'll be going with a mild 305 for now while I build the 327 for it. Got any pics of yours?

13. Yes, it's a 308 rear gear in mine still. depending how it was equipped originally they put the 308s in but if it had air they bumped up to 331 gears (or just about anything if ordered). Works ok with the big block but something like 355 or 373 would be my choice. A bit steeper with a small block- 390 or 411s maybe, but I'm more into acceleration not cruising slow n low.
    Here's a couple pics- the way I got it, the engine bay ready to recieve and the big mill, freshly painted with the T10 hanging off it.
    I pulled the side trim off mine, trimmed the center of the roof rack out and left the outer frame of it (just cause I thought it was fun to see a roof rack equipped wagon grabbing second gear), put some 15x7 steelies with dog dish caps on. Bucket seats out of a 64 SS and now it just been sitting. I started working on an impala for my wife to cruise in and haven't played with the wagon this year much at all.

Attached Files:

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  14. parklane

parklane

Ya, nothing like a longroof. Good start.

15. Cortney

Cortney

Yeah, I'm kinda going for a "slow n low" look minus the "slow" part! I've got my "cruiser" already and is no slouch either! Haha!

16. Cortney

Cortney

So my son and I removed the original rear springs and put in some original, uncut 6cyl 2dr Malibu springs that are much lighter than the wagon/elco coils. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1374796498.789918.jpg
    Also removed the carpet and found these. Just thought it was cool. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1374796565.537723.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. Cortney

Cortney

Filled in the CHEVROLET emblem holes on the hood. Not the greatest job but I gotta learn somehow, right? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376356706.579734.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376356728.411630.jpg

18. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

19. Cortney

Cortney

Thanks!

20. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

cool wagon. i like your plans for it. wont those springs be kinda soft for a wagon? wont be carrying much in the back?

21. Cortney

Cortney

Thanks! Yes, they will be to soft. I plan to get the 3" lowered wagon springs. I just put the other ones in to teach my son how to do it. He's 16.

22. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

Love the plans that you have for the wagon, sits just right. Also like the paint colors that you have in your head, I think that color combo will look GREAT on the wagon. But I would leave it a four door, four door wagons are cool, I have had three of them, all four doors, still got one. Keep us posted with pictures. Ray...

23. sololobo

sololobo

Never met a longroof I didn't like. Nice score on a pretty limited edition ride. Some fun times ahead, enjoy! ~sololobo~

24. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Great project, will be watching! Best to you and yours!

25. Cortney

Cortney

Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement! Definitely staying a 4dr! Had the P/S wizards whip up a rendering of the paint scheme a while back in a different configuration. Not going with the wheel/tire combo pictured though. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376696666.114566.jpg I also scored a 3spd manual Trans set up that I will use instead of the TH350. Gonna be a slow process get'n it all together due to limited (more like lack of) funds. But I will post pic's of the progress!

26. Astros, Bellflowers, and stripes!

27. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

I really like '64 Chevelles. I had a 2 door model in the '70's.
    As well I really like Longroofs! I like your planned color scheme. That's the plan I have for my Acadian Longroof, white roof with a green 'flake paint job.

Good luck with your Chevelle...keep posting pics on it's progress.

28. 41GASSER

41GASSER

Group called wagons of steel that runs the big cars at the Drags here in washington. I have seen a 4500 lbs car pull the nose and do consistant low 10S. just a thought.

Dave

29. Cortney

Cortney

I was thinking along those lines as well!

30. Cortney

Cortney

I saw your Acadian on the Longroof thread! Love that car! Actually saved it to my pictures! Good luck to you as well!