Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs My first irresistible "Field Find"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bchctybob, Dec 26, 2017.

1. 34fordjay

34fordjay
    from Mass USA

Let us know the update.

2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Far from the ugliest trickster ive seen. I actually dig it a lot. Pending room for me to sit in the "cab" id be all about resurrecting that baby

3. I'll go out on a limb here and say that if it is in fact a 50 that it started life as a convertible, the top is 51 Vicky and the Badge on the trim is actually a Hood badge not the standard Vicky one that Ford put there. Way Kool!!
    The Wizzard

4. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Looking at the shape of the door windows, they used the rear quarter windows from the Vicky so parts should be available.
    Following this one.

5. When pulling the Car up on the Trailer stick your head under and see of the Frame has a full X member in it. Only the Vert's had them in 49-51. The firewall will also have some tell tail signs if it was.
    The Wizzard

dwollam, chryslerfan55 and bq874 like this.
  6. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking forward to pics from the load. Looking at it, I'm curious if there isn't maybe more head room than it seems. The shape of the door window maybe creates an optical illusion.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. Fordors

Fordors

As far as the roof line goes if guys can get into those over chopped Bones cars then for sure a guy can get in this, no problem.

8. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

The roofline is what makes this car unique to me....reminds me of an old custom I owned for a couple weeks till I came to the realization that I had neither the pockets or drive to make it what it used to be..

Attached Files:

9. bchctybob

bchctybob

Got a tow truck lined up for this afternoon. I'm making a list of things to remember like who built it and when, names, dates, etc. I'll take more pictures and try to get more of the story from her.
    Ain't it funny, this is the third one of these custom made "pickups" to come out of hiding in the last few years. Of course the other two, the Bailon's Shampoo Truck and Gregg's Capri are real customs whereas this one is more of a shop truck but it's still interesting how popular these once were in NorCal.

10. eberhama

eberhama

When I first saw the pic, I hated it...but each time I look at it, I see more potential. I'm 99% sure that started as a Vicky hardtop. The only thing I don't like is the side window shape. Maybe a little longer roof, little crown out of the front, maybe the side window shape of a '50 dodge coupe?? Also, looks like a late '70's firebird formula, would be good for a quick flip if it was cheap or free, they're hot right now.

chryslerfan55 and bchctybob like this.
  11. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Just as a little inspiration and a "Oh yeah?" to guys who feel the need to post on custom cars threads and say...."thats not an improvement"...or "a face only a mother could love"....or my favorite, "fugly"....the car I just referred to did end up in the right hands....do you think this thing looks better than what it started life as? It was a '54 Olds 2 door hardtop.....I think the "Victchero" will look awesome and unique fixed up. Best part...there won't be another one like it...

Attached Files:

12. bchctybob

bchctybob

That's what I was visualizing too, that nice flow of a curved window down onto the deck. Awesome!
    I understand the "Pockets and Drive" issues, I've got a lot of projects underway right now, I may have to start making some tough choices. At first, I really just wanted to ensure that this one didn't get crushed but if the frame and suspension aren't destroyed by rust, I have enough parts around here to make it a runner again. How does a 401 Buick sound for starters?

13. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Bob...saving it for sure was a no brainer. Hope you fix her up...but if you don't and get it to the right person...youll still have done a good thing...

14. belair

belair

Get Moose to work his photoshop magic on it.

15. Man that thing is super bitchin! Post more pics of the interior!

16. bchctybob

bchctybob

Victchero, I kinda like that. That Olds is beautiful! Very inspirational!

17. I love that thing! Its from an area where no one was afraid to stray from the "safe zone" that makes modern hotrodding so "yawn" today in some aspects

Peanut 1959, brad2v and bchctybob like this.

18. Those Vette lights are so killer!

Peanut 1959 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Your shoebox has an earlier 50s look...maybe finished in the later 50s...if I had to pin it down..maybe finished 57-59 or so....so it escaped some garish elements (which I LOVE) that happened a few years later in the early 60s. Your Victchero has been a custom for a very long time....probably only stock for 6-7 years or so...love it.

dwollam and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Chris....exactly what I believe...

Chris likes this.
  21. bchctybob

bchctybob

Anyone know where the VIN number is on a 1950 Ford. We're heading over to load it up and I want to look at the VIN and do at least a Bill of Sale with the lady.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is an interesting one that is worth bringing back. Looks like some soap and water and elbow grease would go a long way right now.

Runnin shine and bchctybob like this.
  23. fordrodsteven

fordrodsteven

This came up when I googled;
    Locate the dash cowl panel under the hood of the 1950 model Ford car to see the VIN stamped on its face in large digits. The cowl panel looks like an air vent and directs air into the cab.
    Find the VIN for the 1950 Ford Mercury stamped on the top of the frame's right side, located by the front body bracket.

Look at the right frame side rail of the 1950 Ford car, behind the suspension upper arm. There you can find the VIN stamp without the production codes.

Interpret the 10-digit VIN for a 1950 car, "B 0 AT 103456," for example, as "B" in position one for the engine identification of a 239-cubic-inch, 2V, V8; "0" in position two as the year 1950; "AT" in positions three and four as the assembly plant identification code for Atlanta, Georgia. Positions five through 10 of "103456" represent the consecutive unit numbers of the VIN, which Ford Motor Company assigned each car when retailers ordered one. In 1950, each first Ford car at each assembly plant started out with a consecutive unit number of 100001.

24. What makes me think it started life as a Vert is the park light housing is 50 the dash is 50 and the horn ring is 50. Looking close at the windshield A post it never was a Coupe post. The 49-50 and 51 verts used the same rear quarter, door and vent windows. They were all the same and that is a hardtop/vert door only it's a 50 outside handle. Looks like a 51 Vicky roof section with Quarter window installed in the door. I really like it!
    The Wizzard

dwollam, chryslerfan55 and bchctybob like this.
  25. leon bee

leon bee

tag should be right in yer face on the firewall. Unless that's it fastened to the dash. I want that thing!

26. fordrodsteven

fordrodsteven

27. Flatblack 31

Flatblack 31

I agree with Belair!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

pretty kool!

Madillac likes this.
  29. 31Apickup

31Apickup

If her husband or his brother built it, should ask if she has any old photos.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Also ask what the name/City the Body Shop was located.

I love it because it's such a one off.

What's on the plate riveted on the dash?? Build history?

[​IMG]