The Jalopy Journal
Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the-rodster, Aug 26, 2010.
Coming along nicely Rich...
The passenger side rocker went in a lot easier than the driver's side.
The fit just seemed much better.
Next, I tackled the passenger quarter panel rust.
Hammer, shrink, repeat.....
Hay man nice work. What gauge steel you using for patches??
I bought a 4 X 8 sheet of 18 gauge, I'm using it for everything, floors, patches, etc.
is that a magnet from a hard drive? those things are ridiculously strong. this is awesome stuff and it makes me want to get cracking on mine again! You can see how i get side tracked...
Yep, I figured another computer geek might spot that.
Good progress !
Nice rust repair
Santa brought a new 65 Mustang gas tank, so I spend all day yesterday on the rear....
The rear pan is solid, just a little beat up.
But a lot of rot in the back of the trunk floor.
I figured the best solution was to rip out the rear trunk floor, and it would also give me access to the back side of the tail pan to pound out the dents.
Then I made a filler for what I ripped out.
Thanks for the pics, keep 'em coming, I need the motivation. Your shoebox is looking good, you are way ahead of me.
Then I started working on the trunk floor.
Filled the filler hole.
And what was left of the spare well.
It seemed a little half-assed to just cut a hole without supporting the edges, so I framed the hole with 3/4 inch angle.
You are doing a fantastic job....I am in the same process as we speak.
And the tank...
Fits like a glove.
Diggin' it Rich... I put a 'new' poly replacement tank in mine, the Mustang tank honestly looks like a better deal...
what an idiot.
looks badass great work man.
Dude, you're on the wrong website, try here:
Glad I could help.
Very helpfull ! i've got a rusted to hell fuckin POS myself , and that thread is very inspiring, like's koolkemps ford resurection ! Rust can be fucked , just need lotsa motivation.... and fuckin skills too ! i've got none of them, just a fuckin rusted POS !lol!
Since I finally have all the rust taken care of, I'm gunna focus on the suspension.
I'm using the stock springs, but don't like the idea of running four inches of blocks.
So, I decided to take about three inches of arch out of the stock springs. I whipped up a jig with some scrap steel, and used a bottle to bend the springs. I marked the springs every inch or so, and worked some of the arch out.
After a couple hours of "jackin" the springs looked pretty good. I'm gunna clean them up, treat them to a fresh coat of paint, new bushings, squeakers, and re-install.
I did a ton of research on lowering, steering, brakes, etc, and decided to try an S10 clip. Here's the donor for the front suspension and rear end - 89 S10.
I threw a fresh blade in the sawzall, and laid waste to the S10 frame.
Here's a sneak peak at my choice in tires/caps.....
Separate names with a comma.