Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features my first custom...'49 ford tudor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2345.coupe, Sep 13, 2009.

1. desertdroog

desertdroog

I'm not dead set on the 60 hp loss for the C6, but it is a number I have heard/read about. Any FoMoCo guru's can set us straight.

Here is a link talking about C4's vs C6's
    http://www.bostonrpm.com/C4.html

Also doing a search on the internet found different forum's stating this:
    These numbers are from an article in Car Craft Magazine.

Powerglide_____18 hp
    TH-350________36 hp
    TH-400________44 hp
    Ford_C-6______55-60 hp
    Ford_C-4______28 hp
    Ford_FMX______25 hp
    Chrysler_A904__25 hp
    Chrysler_727___45 hp

Whether that is the god's honest truth or not to the exact hp, is anyone's guess without a link to the article or having it in front of me.

2. Nefarious Art

Nefarious Art
    from Auburn, Ca

awesome start- im subscribing!

3. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good luck on your tudor project!!---Here's a pix of my '49 Ford tudor when I was in the USN in 1952, car was only 3 years old then!---Don:D:D

Attached Files:

4. that's a real sweet tudor.......what a nice looking automobile.....

5. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

I'm liking this build, makes me want to go out and get more cut off wheels and sawzall blades to get that damn motor of mine to fit in my 50.. anyone got a really big shoehorn?

6. got my stock ford spring pad shock mounts and 9" U bolts today......the spring pad shock mounts were from a cool guy on shoeboxford... U bolts were from Jamcosuspensions..........thanks, brown santa
    [​IMG]

7. adjusted the rocker for a better fit.....I don't have a shrinker so I cut slits and bend the metal with pliers, then work it with a hammer, weld it up and grind....coated the inner rocker on car and also inner side on new patch panel with cold galvanizing compound...this gives it a zinc rich coating that protects against rust and corrossion...it's great for use on welding joints...the can states "this nearly pure zinc coating gives the same results of hot dip galvanizing."
    tacked rocker in place....fits pretty good, just needs a little more work.........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. PORKCHOP76

PORKCHOP76
    from iowa

man i never get tired of looking at project shoeboxes.

9. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

Throw us California guys a bone; what is all that white shit on the ground in the first couple of pics?

10. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

This project is really looking good. I would love to see how this one comes along. I had a friend that built a shoe box like yours. On his, I think he used 4 inch lowering springs and 4 inch blocks. Came out just right. The next owner pulled all that out and had air ride put in cause, well I dont know, because everyone else is doing it.

11. finished welding in the bottom of the new rocker ....... rocker still needs more work......took advantage of a sunny day to push her out , blow the dust off her and admire her stance.......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. on to the drivers side rocker.......had to repair damage I did with the plasma cutter removing the old rocker........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. TikiBoi13

TikiBoi13
    from San Pedro

NIce work keep it up piece by piece it will come together all good.

14. shoebox1950

shoebox1950
    from California

15. big creep

big creep

wow you move fast! its looking real good!

16. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

lookin good boss!

17. Big Blue Car

Big Blue Car
    from Orlando FL

Looks good, I was working on the same thing this weekend...

18. after hearing your comments about the differences between the c-4 and c-6, I did a little homework and found the c-4 is lighter,quicker,shorter and can be made bullet proof.......plus it won't rob you of 60 hp. right from the get go............so I got one.....'79 LTD c-4...sweet.....
    [​IMG]
    also picked up the '69 ,351w mustang motor.......
    [​IMG]

19. Nice work! Good choice on the engine/trans.

20. got my '49-'51 ford engine conversion kit from jamcosuspensions.com....motor and trans. mounts, bolt in ,........just need to get the correct flex plate so I can marry the engine and trans. to mock them up ..............[​IMG]

21. lorodz

lorodz

great start ...keep it up

22. got the motor mounts bolted on........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

Hey, you need to make sure you get a Windsor flex plate, the Windsor has a 50 ounce imbalance, and the 302 prior to 1984 ish has a 28 ounce imbalance. If you put a early 302 flex plate on a Windsor it will shake your teeth loose. Also, what oil pan do you have on the Windsor? it's not a Mustang pan, did you need to use a 4wd or van pan to clear the crossmember or is it some one off expensive thing for the shoebox? Just curious being currently in the market for a box of my own. You are doing a real nice job btw and the pics are cool, thanks for the updates.

John

24. yea,I think I have a flex plate from a early 351w but I'm not 100% sure so I ordered another for a '69 351w mustang......but I wasn't aware of the weight difference.....I was told if I have the wrong plate it would shake my doors off...........the oil pan is off a early bronco 4X4, rear sump,I got my pan on ebay,$2.10 plus $18.62 for the ride.......I noticed jamcosuspensions offers the pan, rear sump pick up and dip stick for the 351w in a shoebox.........I've checked and measured mine several time and it looks good...........
    [​IMG]

25. rickkane

rickkane

I'm interested in this because I'm building a shoebox with a 302/C-4 combo.I have heard the same numbers on the amount of power a C-4 takes. Approx 25 horsepower. But then I read an article where a 302 was put on an engine dyno, then put in the car with a C-4 and run on a chassis dyno. The drop from the engine dyno to the chassis dyno was 57 horsepower. I dont recall where I read it, but it was recently.

26. got new flex plate today, appears to be the same as the old flex plate I had,....... only better teeth........not going to try to repair it but I'll hold on to it and install the new one......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. build is looking great. smart move replacing the flexplate, they can be a real pain.

28. got the trans. married to the motor and in the shoebox...........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    motor mounts were right on the money.......
    [​IMG]
    the trans. and oil pan cleared the drag link .........the oil pan clears the front cross member
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the shoebox floor has to be raised above the tail end of tranny in order to level out the motor
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    like I said the motor mounts are sweet........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    clears the stock steering box with room the spare
    [​IMG]
    I'm not sure about how many degree's your supposed to tilt back the motor....I'll have to search that.......I'll pull the motor and tranny out so I can work on the the fire wall and front sections of the floor....then prep. and paint them.........

29. manyolcars

manyolcars

Most of my 49/50s look like this too

Attached Files:

30. the intake manifold is up 5 degrees ...I'm going to use this as a reference point....once I cut out the floor over the trans., I can raise the tranny so that the tranny pan is 3 degrees down toward the rear,the rear is 3 degrees up toward the tranny.....I believe that's one the right formula's....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]