Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features my first custom...'49 ford tudor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 2345.coupe, Sep 13, 2009.

1. actually I purchased the car from a guy in Minnesota in 4-08...it was delivered in 5-08.......today I hand sanded the 4, '51 wheels to prepare them for the poison (epoxy primer).......came up empty in regards to the longer wheel studs,the only way was to get a different diameter stud and take some material off.....or resize the stud holes, I opted not to do either......about 6 months ago I bought a set of wheels from the Wheel Smith, these wheels would fit the rotors and had the clips for the '49 ford hub cap plus they have the proper back spacing to clear the caliper,so I won't have to use spacers and get longer studs.......the only problem was the '49 caps don't fit the '51 wheels.......I want all the wheels to have the same caps........solution: after doing some measuring of the Wheel Smith wheels , I took the clips off and slammed a '51 dog dish cap in the center...fits like a glove, add little welding, grinding and poison.....nice.....prime and color tomorow.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. primed and painted the wheels complements of the "rattle can".........I'm partial to ivory.......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. draginsteel

draginsteel

Nice work! All the modifications will pay off in ride quality.

I just finished my 49 (as finished as they ever get - still a lot to do)

and put the build pictures on the HAMB, got a lot of good comments.

Makes all the hard work and frustrations a little more worth while.

Keep up the good work.

4. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

nice. those ivory wheels are gonna look classy.

5. Ghost28

Ghost28

Did you ever notice that after you get a car, or even think about buying one. I don't care how old, or how rare, you just seem to see them everywhere???

Attached Files:

6. Wow, What a great looking shoebox you picked up!!!!! Did the motor sell? For how much? My dad cut my teeth on a stock red 49'
    Thank you, thank you, thank you, for all of the suspension and brake pictures!!!!!!
    Did I mention how grateful I am of the great photos that you've posted? It's really great to see all of those details...
    P.s. the hood is from a 50, but I'm sure you knew that. Those 49 t-signals are so much better looking than a 50!!! Congrats again, keep those photos coming!!!

7. got a pm from J C Genty..Jamco Suspensions ( Alliance Vendor)..quote " 2345.coupe -the kit looks good. We have a new design for the upper a- arm mounts that is much nicer. Send me your name and I will send a set out to you"...........Brown Santa brought it today.......thanks man.......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. freebird101

freebird101

9. sweet! Thanks for the details on the brakes!

10. wirth

wirth
    from Texas

Great thread! Great Build!

11. got the '71 maverick 8'' rear mocked in....just had to cut the spring pads off and move 1/2'' over toward the backing plates...got a set of stock spring pad shock mounts coming plus some custom made 9" U bolts from Jamco.........I used some Roloc dics to shine her up and some Eastwood Fast Etch,to prevent further rust. This removes rust, preps metal and leaves a zinc phosphate coating on the metal which prevents rust........also got the brakes assembled and e-brake hooked up.......''Pinion Angle"...I've searched and read so much that, one minute I think it should be up,no it should be down, no it should be zero.......I put mine at 3 degrees up....I can always shim it down ,or up ,or zero .........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. nice build ! I too have the jamco set up under my 49 Coupe ! The disc brakes saved that car from a T-bone in Tacoma when a girl pulled out from a side alley on to 6th ave . It was the first time meeting my girlfriend's father, and was taking for a ride ! Going to be killer man !

13. Great work! Looking good fast!

14. por-15 the maverick drums....had 4 white walls from another sold project mounted on rims ....getting ready to see her stance.......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. southpark

southpark
    BANNED

16. Kustomline54

Kustomline54

Great to see how this project is coming along. Nice job all around! Cant wait to see it when everythings put together:cool:

17. here whats she looks like on the ground....... I'd like her to be a little lower,........ well first things first, that's to get her running...............
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Great find I just picked up myself a 50 Merc today.

19. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Nice job bringing the old man back to life.

20. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Moving along so far so good.

21. here's the complementary Jamco newly designed upper a arm mounts installed.....thanks again JC.......
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Do they make these for the 49-51 Mercs?

23. that link doesn't work...just google it..........also Jamco is a alliance Vender

24. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

really nice install.well done.

25. man i really like the paint on your car as it is!,are going to put new paint on it?

26. if I had to I could duplicate the color....my plans are to strip all the paint to see what's underneath, then "fast Etch" the car, that leaves a zinc phosphate coating which prevents rust and top it off with epoxy primer. The epoxy will give it a good seal to protect it against the elements..........

27. hottweelz

hottweelz
    from So. Cal

lockwoodkustoms , we do make a kit for the 49-51 & 52-53 Mercs as well. You can find them on our website at www.jamcosuspension.com. Here is a pic of the 49-51 kit.
    [​IMG]

28. BuickBorracho

BuickBorracho

Great start! Looking forward to more progress pics.

29. hottweelz did jamco mention why they changed the upper control arm mounting bracket? just curious.