Register now to get rid of these ads!

My first chop. 38 pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Delmo, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Delmo

Delmo
    from Burbank

I want to thank everyone on this board for posting such great material to learn from. I'm a newbie here and just thought I would share with you all what I did tonight after reading a gazzillion posts about chopping. Thanks again.

Attached Files:

2. JaBoney

JaBoney

Looks good so far. Keep us posted on your progress.
    What kind of drive train ya got in mind?

3. Delmo

Delmo
    from Burbank

Well it's for a buddy of mine and he wants to run a small block chevy with 3 deuces. As far as chassis I was thinking of using the stock frame and channeling the cab about 6 inches and maybe throwin a drop axle in it. Any ideas?

O ya, just got the doors half done.

Attached Files:

4. skyrodder

skyrodder

Damn that Looks Great Bro! keep up the good work and keep us posted...........

5. catman

catman
    from El Reno

now that's my kind of chop, how you take out ? GREAT work man, keep pictures coming:cool:

6. rustrodder

rustrodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The chop looks great. I channelled my cab 8 inches-probably 2 inches too much! Also running a drilled '40 ford axle with a suicide mount-thinking about replacing it with a 4" dropped Magnum axle to get a little lower. I moved the front axle about 12 inches forward-right under the radiator. My truck was a 3/4 ton, so it has a simple ladder frame-not the curved frame like the 1/2 ton and cars have. Running Ford Explorer leaf springs and brackets on the rear. Also shortened the frame-12" in front of the rear axle and 12" behind it-so I could shortened the bed down to 6'. By the way-I'm not running any fenders.

7. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Man, That chop is lookin' good. Keep the updates coming !

41 Dave

8. rustrodder

rustrodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

a couple of pics-(maybe if i can get them to load).

9. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Delmo, how many inches did you take out? How many hours has it taken? Thanks

10. Delmo

Delmo
    from Burbank

Thanks for the words guys. I took 6.5 inches out of the rear and 7 inches out of the front posts. That left a gap in the doors and rook approx 2 3/8 inches. I whacked the roof and doors off an old 38 2 ton for filler pieces. As of this mornin I have about 8 hours in it. I still need to tig everything but I figure it will be around 15 hours total. That should be worth about 2 40 oz bottles of something strong.

Attached Files:

11. brewsir

brewsir

Man that looks great!
    As for the 6 in. channel I would think about stepping the frame right at the firewall or a little behind it and right behind the cab so it looks like a big channel but leaves you some room in the cab...every inch counts!

12. Durod

Durod
    from DFW, Tx

that's a wicked f'in chop, brutha..

13. Dirk35

Dirk35

What Brewsir said....... "leaves you some room inside the cab.......Every inch counts".

You had better toss a seat in there and hop in before you think too much more of channeling that thing......Well, unless your 4 foot tall or less that is.

14. Delmo

Delmo
    from Burbank

Good idea, I'll do that today. A friend of mine made me these seats, I was gunna use them on my car but maybe I should use them here.

15. Delmo

Delmo
    from Burbank

Forgot the pic

Attached Files:

16. Brooding Swede

Brooding Swede

Nice chop. As for the seats I hope you a pad to sit on that metal? Nice work and post.

17. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

18. SHRUM

SHRUM

You got that right on. Looks damn good. Make sure to give us the final shot of it.

19. a nice double dop on the frame will go a long way to making it a lot more comfortable, but as some one alse mentioned...unless you are sub 5'

20. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

21. Delmo

Delmo
    from Burbank

Thanks again guys. I will definatley keep ya posted on the progress. Hey Joeycarpunk, I love the car in yur sig pic. Is that yours and do you have any more pics of it? Looks killer, although there is so many cool rides on this board.

22. ........from the looks of this bad ass ride your building brother, you count your beast in on that group for sure!! :) Keep up the great work and look forward to future pic's of the build process.

23. michael037

michael037
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like some really neat metalwork there. Good detail shots for those thing of a similar project. The stepped frame seems to make a lot of sense to keep a little extra room inside too.
    Michael

24. 48 Poncho

48 Poncho
    from Tennessee

Love this truck Man!!!:D

48 Poncho

25. Lil John

Lil John

That SOB is going to have some attatude...Looks great

26. JasonK

JasonK

Keep up the good work!

27. tred

tred

hey delmo, i'll be chopping a '35 here before too long. the top half of the '35 is very similar to yours, so my question is this:
    did you run into any odd situations that you didn't expect? anything i should be aware of or look out for?

GREAT lookin' chop, bro! keep the pictures comin'.

tred.

28. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Looks great. A buddy of mine is doing a 37 and he has dropped the floor pan down into the frame for more leg room.

29. Delmo

Delmo
    from Burbank

Finished this a long time ago but here is the fianl outcome.

Attached Files:

30. Looks good, but I'd never get my long-legged carcass in it. I'm 6' 5" and 260 pounds, so my '38 will stay stock height. If I were a better body man, I'd be stretching my cab for more leg room.