Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My first build. 1929/31 model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tobbe J, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Tobbe J

Tobbe J

My pleasure OFT

Skickat från min iPhone med H.A.M.B.

2. Tobbe J

Tobbe J

A couple more pictures. Seems like the iPhone sometimes saves the pictures in the wrong format for the forum. The picture uploads until it reaches 95% and then gives me an error message.[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mad mikey, Stogy, DeLuxe 32 and 5 others like this.
  3. Tobbe J

Tobbe J

The show inspired both me and wifey so she suggested I should work on the build this week after work. I decided to tack weld the roof parts together and try to align it for a chop.

This is today's progress.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. mgermca

mgermca

Go Tobbe Go!

Tobbe J likes this.
  5. Tobbe J

Tobbe J

As usual I got to work on the car for 15 minutes before I got stuck again. Today I set a goal that I would fit the top end of the windshield frame that's been cut by one of the previous owners, but I can't see how it is supposed to fit. The top part is about 20 mm's (4/5") wider than the a-pillars. Now I need the measurements between the pillars at the studs locking the windshield adjusters to determine if my pillars are straight and at the correct position. I would also need the distance across the body where the a-pillars attach to the subframe to make sure I didn't get the subframe too wide. The subframe came as a IKEA kit with ill fitting parts and I'm not sure if I got it right. I tried following measurements found online and copy the old subframe, but who knows?

Now I'm getting tired of this project and have a feeling that it's wearing me down. Same procedure every time I get to work on it, I get some small stuff done and then get stuck because I don't know what to do. I have no friends to ask and 15 minutes on the build makes me go online for hours trying to find the information I need. Tiresome!

On top of everything I found out that the chop is 8" and even though the doors could work, the windshield won't. I can hardly see anything thru it and I'd be surprised if it would pass inspection to make it road legal. Seems like I have to try to unchop the doors a bit anyway. [​IMG]

mad mikey, Stogy, brEad and 2 others like this.
  6. Don't get discouraged. Regarding unchopping, post a request for someone's removed parts from their chop. Save you a lot of fabrication.

slv63, OFT and jackalope like this.
  7. jackalope

jackalope

It's easy to get discouraged especially when you set small goals and then hit a roadblock.
    I would suggest making a written or typed list of things you need, including measurements, missing pieces, etc. Then you can methodically check them off and move to the next. Makes a huge difference. You may need to spend a day just going through a mock repair just to see what you need and are missing.
    What's crazy is once you get over the hump or slump, things can pick up quickly. Keep making those lists though!!!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. Tobbe J

Tobbe J

Thanks for your encouraging posts!

Today I met the guy who sold me the frame, and I'm going to his shop tomorrow to take the measurements I need to get a move on things.

A couple of weeks ago I found a roll of army green canvas for sale on eBay. Picked it up today and it was exactly what I hoped for. Now I'm looking for some kind of material to make seat cushions for my bomber seats.

[​IMG]

mad mikey, slv63, brEad and 1 other person like this.
  9. Tobbe J

Tobbe J

Got the measurements I needed yesterday, and checked them today. They were all correct!

I will spot weld some braces inside the body to make sure it stays where it's supposed to while I'm working with it. Need to figure out if I can bend some square tubing to make the reinforcement running between the a pillars round the back rest.

I also bought a windshield visor which I was missing. Got a brand new repop at a good price

mad mikey, slv63 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. mgermca

mgermca

Right, so now back at it TJ!

11. missysdad1

missysdad1

I agree totally with the list idea. I use lists for everything! Another "trick" to keep my enthusiasm high when the build lags is to have a photo of the "finished" car where I can see it every day. After much searching I found a photo of a car on the internet that has all the key elements of what I want my car to look like when it's finished and use it as my computer screen saver. Seeing my car in its finished form every time I log on and log off keeps me moving even when my enthusiasm - or money - runs low. Good luck with yours!

brEad likes this.
  12. Tobbe J

Tobbe J

Thanks guys, really appreciate your thoughts and input. Nice that I'm not the only one feeling stuck uphill sometimes. Will make a list and I just set my inspiration as a lock screen on the phone. It didn't scale but I'll see it every time I use my phone.
    [​IMG]

Went to the Swedish equivalent to Home Depot and bought some square steel tubing for the bracing and reinforcing of the rear body. They didn't really fit inside my car :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  13. Tobbe J

Tobbe J

Just back from a road trip to the danish west coast and the Rømø motor festival which is 1/8 mile drag races with pre war hot rods on the beach.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. GASSERBOB

GASSERBOB
    from USA

Thanks Tobbe for posting the cool pictures. Your coupe is really looking bad ass. Keep us posted. Bob...................

15. OFT

OFT

Thanks for sharing photo's from your trip!

16. mgermca

mgermca

Very cool, thanks!!

17. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Thanks for sharing your pictures!

18. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looks like it's going to be pretty cool! I'd been drooling over the photos of your "not so local" show on Instagram. I'm jealous you got to go!

Keep making local hot rod friends and it'll just get easier. More hands, more experience, more people to bitch about hot rods problems to lol

Keep on going man, it's gonna be rad

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. Tobbe J

Tobbe J

Thanks guys! I'd like to post a video of the "77" coupe since it sounded really nasty, but I don't know how to upload videos. As soon as I figure that out I will post a couple of race videos

mad mikey likes this.
  20. jwendin

jwendin
    from Sweden

Nice projekt. Jag har ett liknande bygge men med trimmad 4-banger. Har också haft en Rambler 770

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. jwendin

jwendin
    from Sweden

mad mikey and Tobbe J like this.
  22. Tobbe J

Tobbe J

Tack! Är ditt projekt också baserat på en sportcoupé? Ser ungefär ut som min tycker jag med tanke på a-stolparna och ovandelen bakom dörrarna. Kämpa på, du har ju kommit en bit på vägen!

23. jwendin

jwendin
    from Sweden

Japp det stämmer bra. Har fått tag i rutstolparna nu. Ska använda den främre bara tänkte jag. Ska den som en a-Ford cab den modellen som var 30-31för tror bara det fanns roadster och sportcoupe 28-29

Tobbe J likes this.
  24. Tobbe J

Tobbe J

Som denna alltså? Det verkar stämma bra ihop när rutramarna i dörrarna är bortkapade
    [​IMG]

25. jwendin

jwendin
    from Sweden

Ja precis något i de stuket men busigare.

Jag började också med en plastkaross eller har provat det 2 gånger har haft 10 olika karosser innan jag hittade denna.

Men köpte mig en en plast 29a roadster förra helgen så man har något att busa med[​IMG]

26. Tobbe J

Tobbe J

Smart, något att köra med under tiden du bygger! Jag hade chans att köpa en körklar femfönsters 30’a för en del år sen. Begärt pris 115’ men jag tyckte det var för dyrt... Billigare att bygga själv... Jodåmensåatt

27. jwendin

jwendin
    from Sweden

Ja jag tyckte det var roligt har 2st byggen och nu den nya 29an ska bli kul att äntligen ha något att åka på i sommar.

Haha ja den skulle du ju ha köpt. Hade du haft kvar den i dag hade du till och med förvaltat pengarna under tiden.

Galna priser på allt just nu

Tobbe J likes this.
  28. Tobbe J

Tobbe J

Spent two hours on the build today, or to be more specific, one hour fifty minutes googling and ten minutes wrenching. Started by moving the top of the windshield frame upwards by an inch (just fixed to the pillars with two vice grips) to see if it would be enough to drive. Then I started thinking about driving it as a chopped sport coupe or build it as a coupster... Back to the drawing board! Does anyone know how high the window opening is in an unchopped coupe door?

I also went for the first post on my todo list, which is to start the engine. Man, this positive ground confuses the hell out of me! While thinking about it tonite I figured I need to hook up a solenoid to be able to try to start. I think I have one laying around from my ‘67 f-250 pickup I can use.

mad mikey likes this.
  29. Tobbe J

Tobbe J

Just tried to start to flathead without any luck. It’s like last time we tried, it fires sporadically but won’t run. I have two Speedway 97’s for my dual carb intake but I don’t know if they’ll fit the OE intake. It seems like the carb on the engine is leaking gas all over the place, except down the barrels, nothing comes from the squirters... I did buy the engine without seeing it run in person, but the seller had a video of the engine running on a stand.

30. Tobbe J

Tobbe J

To respond to my own question if the Speedway carb fits OE intake, YES! it certainly does! Did the engine run? Yes, it fired up immediately and stabilized itself nicely on idle. I only ran it for a couple of seconds since I had no cooling system, no oil pressure gauge and no oil in the gearbox. I don’t want to seize anything even though I’m rebuilding the gearbox and have new water pumps ready.

[​IMG]

A huge dose of motivation just entered my shop, I think I’ll focus on the drivetrain for a while and take a break with the bodywork. I love the sound of a flathead on idle