Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My first build. 1929/31 model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tobbe J, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Tobbe J

Tobbe J

Hi all!

I've been lurking around here for a while and I think it's time for a build thread. Basically I need help since this is my first hot rod build ever. I'm used to fix BMW's all day long so this proved to be a challenge for me :)

I've been thinking about building a hot rod for many years, and finally I found a complete chassis with a Danish title for sale. I live in Sweden, but it's fairly easy to register a car with danish papers here, and I don't have to come back for annual inspections due to the age of the car. A new build would make me come back every year, and I'd have to follow the laws and regulations for newer cars.

I got the frame sand blasted to see just how bad it was. It was pretty bad, like it's been buried with all the other stuff for at least ten years.. Everything is pitted from rust and I was thinking of buying a new frame instead. Finally I decided to stick with the stuff Henry built and started welding.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
    stillrunners likes this.
  2. Looks. ..... Well. It looks invisible.

3. A title goes a long way.

If finding old iron is a problem you will always be able to find a Brookville body!

Posted using the Full Box of Crayons on the Kitchen Walls App!

4. Tobbe J

Tobbe J

Sorry, trying to figure out how the picture manager works :D

Yes, Brookville is an option, but will be quite costly in the end. Everything needs to be shipped across the Atlantic, and then we have the Swedish customs and the sales tax on everything including the customs and shipping costs. Oh yes, I forgot to mention that the sales tax is 25% in Sweden :rolleyes:

Well, I fabricated boxing plates and started to weld. Quite fun since I'm mostly working with ECU's, sensors and stuff all day long.

Attached Files:

5. Tobbe J

Tobbe J

Since I'm used to McPhearson I had to do a mock up just to see how it was supposed to look. It took me a while to find the pedal box, or maybe shaft is a more proper name... Had to buy a manual to figure out that the pedals are fitted to the shaft on the gearbox. At the same time I got the answer to why there was a shaft fitted to the gearbox housing.. By now I guess you understand that I've never been working with a Model A, or anything older then a 1950 Packard?

I've been jumping around on different stuff on this build, mostly because the frame went to the blaster. The carb has been rebuilt, the wishbone has been split (found a nice "how to" on youtube) and I found a set of 16" wire wheels on ebay that now are poweder coated black with new caps.

I've found out that the head is cracked, the distributor is beyond repair and right now I'm trying to figure out what engine to use. I want to stick to the early post war era so that rules out pretty much everything except four banger or flathead V8. That gives me a bit of headache with the brakes and pedals, should I go for a juice set up or stick to the mechanical system?

Attached Files:

6. Tobbe J

Tobbe J

More posts, I just had a cup of coffee :)

The wheels are done, but I'm using 6.00-16 tyres just to see how it looks. The plan is to buy a set of 5.00 and 7.50-16 black wall tyres when I fly to Cali in January. I just need to find a way to ship the stuff to Sweden that won't ruin me. The plan is to order just about everything I need and try to find some space in a container.

Finally I made up my mind and bought a fibre glass body. I know, it's not the real deal but everything is beyond rusty over here so this was the easy way to get something done. Of course I had to do a mock up :)

The front axle is dropped about 3" and the lower spring got the eyes reversed. Now I need to blast and paint the other leaves and figure out which and how many to take away to get the front end lower. I've read that two leaves in the front and four at the back should be fine, but if someone has a different opinion I'd be happy to listen to your input!

The rear of the frame has been z-ed. I read the "How to build a traditional Ford hot rod" by Bishop & Tardel and found it quite helpful. After thurough measurements I cut and welded the frame and managed to keep it straight afterwards.

This pretty much sums up what has happened during my first year as a hot rodder. Small steps taken, and many more to come.

Attached Files:

48fordnut and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. Starting to look like a Hot Rod. Need to start my 31 Roadster build thread soon as I have a lot of parts collected. Told myself I would not start until my 53 F100 was painted and back together but the painter is taking longer than expected.

Good work, I will be following your build!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. Tobbe J

Tobbe J

Thanks! One idea I had with this thread was to get some inspiration and motivation, it's always nice with some feedback from people with the same interests.

I'll try to get some work done during the x-mas :)

48fordnut likes this.
  9. ydopen

ydopen

I started on my first scratch built hot rod about a year ago. I have learned a lot and enjoy building it. The HAMB is a great help.

You have a good start. Good luck.
    John

Attached Files:

mike bowling and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. Tobbe J

Tobbe J

Nice looking ride, do you have a build thread?

True, you learn a lot from the hamb, I'm really happy I found this place. :)

A while ago I found these
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1387154274.910528.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1387154293.727394.jpg
    And this
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1387154366.360305.jpg

Parts hunting is pretty fun, only problem is that I have no patience :)

11. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

You're doing just fine for a first time build. I know well the lack of patience but sometimes it's a real character builder and allows you to savor every little step in the process. We are spoiled here in the States with the ready availability of all the building blocks for a hot rod. Our problem (at least mine) is finding the money as fast as we can find the parts. Keep us up to date on your progress and let us know when you need help. The HAMB is the best place in the world to get help building a traditional hot rod.

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. manyolcars

manyolcars

You welded solid the hole in the rear crossmember that locates the rear spring. Now what are you going to do?

You asked about brakes. The mechanical brakes can be made to lock up the wheels but it takes a mountain of work to keep them that good. Its much more reasonable to use hydraulic brakes. Back when they couldnt do an better, they used 1939-48 Ford brakes but you can do much better than that with Bendix brakes that are self adjusting..

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  13. manyolcars

manyolcars

14. Tobbe J

Tobbe J

@ manyolcars
    No, it's not welded, It's just some black paint. The hole is nice and square.

Thanks for the input on the brakes. I'm just confused about locating the master cylinder somewhere, but found links to two company's providing parts (MT and Clings). I'm thinking about buying their complete kits to get the bits and pieces I need.

15. Tobbe J

Tobbe J

@Fab32

Thanks! Yes, money is always an issue. Seems like you never find the parts when you have the funds, and then the other way around :)

I'm really enjoying myself with this project, I'm going to tidy up my man cave at work to make it a bit easier to access the build on a daily basis. My plan was to put in at least one hour a day, and that will be possible after a couple of hours spent on organizing the place.

Hamb is dangerous though, it's way too easy to spend hours reading various build threads :)

16. Tobbe J

Tobbe J

A while ago I found an ad on the Swedish equivalent to Craig's list. A 21-stud Ford flathead V8 with gearbox. The ad said that it had been found in a car parked in the forrest a long time ago. The engine is probably really stuck it said. I took a chance and bought the engine since it was a fair price.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1387412249.111518.jpg

Of course I took the heads of to investigate the condition, and found this
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1387412352.244800.jpg
    And this
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1387412394.844991.jpg
    Yes, that's a hole thru the cylinder wall into the water jacket. This will now be transformed into a table stand in my customers lounge at work. I just need to figure out how to move it thru the door without the engine crane :). On the bright side of things I got a V8 gearbox that looks okey on the inside, I just hope the shaft and housing is in good shape.

17. olskool34

olskool34

Wow I honestly can't believe you were able to get the heads off!

18. jackalope

jackalope

Looking like a good start! One suggestion, I would weld a reinforcing plate or gusset plate over the area you cut the frame and re-located it ("'Z'd" it). The structural integrity of that old metal was even more compromised once you cut it. Beef it up and tie all the sections together with plate on inner and outter frame rail. Just MY opinion.
    Looking good though!

19. Tobbe J

Tobbe J

Nothing a good pry bar couldn't handle :)

Thanks' for the input! Note taken and I will look into it before I move along.

20. Cool project. HRP

21. Tobbe J

Tobbe J

Thanks! :)

22. Tobbe J

Tobbe J

Input on the motor anyone? Keep the four banger or go for a more extensive modification to fit a V8? I'd like to stick to the post war era so that rules out SBC or other "modern" options.

23. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

I have just finished restoring my 31 pickup. I decided to keep the 4 Banger,and added a high compression head for a few extra HP. The engine choice really depends on what you want to use the roadster for.

Attached Files:

drylakespeedshop and slimcat7m3 like this.
  24. Tobbe J

Tobbe J

Speed is not important at all, I have cars well suited and set up for that kind of activity. This is more about making the car work well at, let's say 50-60 mph. My main reason for wanting a v8 in the roadster is the engine/exhaust sound.

French surplus V8's can be found here in Sweden and I have a gearbox for it.

I feel that I need to update to juice brakes if I take the V8 route, but can stay with the mechanical setup if I stick to the four banger. Not too fond of the sound of them though...

25. Tobbe J

Tobbe J

Well, I'm back home from my five weeks in California and to sum it up I:

Got blisters walking thru the Pomona swap meet. First time ever for me, so I didn't know what to expect. So many nice cars, unfortunately I didn't buy any of them. Lots of parts, but nothing I just had to buy for my build. At this time I hadn't decided if I should by parts for the -31 or buy a car to bring home. Got a nice tan :)

Had a blast at GNRS and Sacramento Autorama. So many nice cars and people! Amazed, as always, by the wide selection of cars and the quality of the builds.

Paid a visit to early Ford store in San Dimas. A gold mine! I think I could've spent hours poking around their warehouse. Same here as with the swap, no decision made about parts or car so I didn't buy anything. San Dimas was a really nice place, had a great breakfast at the local diner and visited the Ace hardware store. Places like that are since long extinct in Sweden. Competition from super stores like Home Depot made them die out a long time ago.

Attended the Dr George show in Palm Springs. Again, nice cars, good food and great people! Rode with my friend in his 32 high boy and was handed the keys for the drive home. A nice 1,5 hour drive back to LA.

Finally made up my mind and bought lots of parts for my build. Can't wait until the stuff arrives in Sweden in early/mid April. Juice brakes, Firestone ply bias tyres, front spring, perches, shock mounts front and rear, tube shocks, 1937 tail lights, tie rod ends, pedal box, hubs and bearings. Just in case I got motor mounts for a flathead V8, I think my decision is made...

The last day before returning back home was spent with good friends. Breakfast at the Queen Mary in Long Beach, safety inspection of their hot rods and then a nice drive along the coast in a -33 roadster. What more could I possibly ask for? Maybe a green card and that my wife could've joined me on this trip.

ibhotrod likes this.
  26. Tobbe J

Tobbe J

The motor bit is figured out, it will be a French flathead V8 from some kind of military truck. The engine is black and according to the seller it's a 110 hp with a deeper oil pan. Don't know if it will fit my build or it will be too low, but then it should be possible to swap the pan and pump for standard parts, right?

Any thoughts about this before I pay the deposit is highly appreciated!

27. Tobbe J

Tobbe J

Finally I got the parts I bought on my last visit to California. Everything was there and no damages except some minor surface rust on the untreated parts. Now I can proceed with my chassis to get it rolling :)
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1398518058.814981.jpg

Tim likes this.
  28. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Off to a good start, subscribed

29. brady1929

brady1929

30. Looks like the start of a great project. Best of luck to you, and enjoy!!!