Register now to get rid of these ads!

My first 32 Chevy build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carl5Coupe, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Kenny
    The seats fit good. They will be in soon. I'm waiting to cover them since I have so much to do yet.

Carl

2. Mac30

Mac30
    1. S.F.C.C.

Love this build. You where lucky to find that thing here in ga. I have been crawling in the mountains trying to find me a coupe to build with no luck. Maybe one day I will stumble on one.

Cheers,
    Mac

3. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Two weeks have gone by. I bought another boat so that slowed me down. I finished up with the steering column yesterday and drilled out the pitman arm on the Vega box for the 5/8 bolt to tie the rest of the steering together. All I have left to do tonight is cut and install the double D shaft. WOW!! Now I can steer the car. Cool man. The bracket I made turned out pretty good I think. It’s super tight and holds the column in place. It’s bolted to the fire wall and then I have 3 lag bolts 1-1/2" long going into the wood that will hold the dash in place. Now for the break lines and clutch line. Mount the fuel cell and run the gas line and I might be able to go down the road. Sweet Man

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Looking good dude. Do you have a seat for it yet? I'm kinda courious how the shifter will sit between the seat and your leg. Normal side mount shifters usually end up under your leg. That top loader looks much better position wise.

5. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

It all sits good. I have a set of 65 mustang bucket seats. I dry fit everything before it was welded in.

Carl

6. 55chevr

55chevr

Like the steering column ... what did it come out of?

Joe

7. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Speedway; $99:00 Bucks. Sure looks better then the 73 camaro automatic tilt column I was going to install. It just didn't sit well with me.

Carl

8. Your 31 is coming along nice. Enjoyed looking at the progress. Keep posting pic's

9. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

So last night was a good night, since I hooked up the steering, I was able to get it out of the garage. It was the 1st time in like forever. Still alot to do but at least I can get a feel for what its looking like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  10. sololobo

sololobo

The coupe is looking real fine bro. Hope it see's the road this summer. ~sololobo~

11. hell yah....now just look at your avitar and the pic you just posted......you fixed her and made her badass

12. crazypainter

crazypainter

lookin great man... almost exactly like mine.. haha....

13. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

I agree
    Time heals all wounds, no matter how bad it is it can be fixed or changed. All it takes lots of imagination, some advice from friends and fellow readers, endless amounts of time and the old mighty fist full of hundred dollar bills.

Thanks guys for all the support. Its time to get back to having some fun grinding cutting and welding.

Like Tudor says, (Bitchin Man)

Carl :cool:

14. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

major improvement!!! your making good progress

15. Ghost28

Ghost28

You say you now can get a feel for what it looks like. That's got to feel good.
    Nice job

16. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Looking great! I wish I could move at your pace!

17. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

I'm working on the car all this weekend, its jacked up and ready for break lines and finish up framing the floor. Some more welding and checking off some odds and ends. I hope to be doing the test drive by Sunday night.

Carl

18. Car is coming along, looking GREAT!!! Do you have any pictures of your rear shock setup? Steve

19. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

his car is bad ass!!!

20. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

No rear shock set up yet. It's not to far out, maybe in the next week or so.

21. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

I have the front lines tied in now to drill the frame and hide the line going to the back.

[​IMG]

22. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Man, is any thing easy?
    I spent way to much time on the brake lines. I guess I should have done some reading first. The double flare tool is what I was missing. My wife helped out and found that steel lines need to be double flared. Well after doing everything 2-3 times, I finely got all the lines installed and no leaks. It was like a sprinkler system when we first filled the system. I still have to install clamps to hold the lines in place, paint the frame and do some welding but at least some of the plumbing is done. I plan on painting the brake lines when I paint the frame.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My buddy Brad come over and helped out all day, Thanks bud, sorry I filled your coke bottle with old brake fluid. It didn't taste to bad did it? ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  23. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Ok
    Its been a wile, I re did all the break lines and hooked up the gas pedal and carb. This past Friday I finished the framing of most of the floor and installed the 65 mustang seats. This weekend I hope to finish the gas line and install the battery. Im still looking for a gas tank that I can hide in the trunk area so im going to put in what I have. The car should be rolling in and out of the drive way this weekend. Im so close. :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope to do a test run, work out some bugs and tie some stuff togeather. after that I will disasemble and do some prep work for more welding and painting.

24. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Man, you are MOVING! I wish I could get half as much done. I just had my front axle and springs out for the fourth time just trying to get it to sit right. Brake lines seem so far in my future. Great job!

25. oldman2

oldman2

coming along real good....Jim

26. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Thanks guys,
    I tied in the fuel system this week, installed the ignition switch and cranked it up last night. It ran great and it shifted great. Its still on jack stands so it didn't go anywhere. Tonight I'm going to seal the rear since it leaked, change the rear gear lube and check the rear and tranny degrees then weld up the rear.

It will roll Saturday under its own power. :) Then its time to do the little stuff and move on to a more finish stage like floor pans and get the old paint off and put it in primer.

Carl

27. Alright keep after it. Ill are I will see ya this weekend

28. Keep

Keep

Isn't the residual pressure valve supposed to go after the proportioning valve? I know the one I used made sure to point that out in the instructions.

Great build BTW.

29. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

I will look but if I have to do the lines again I will just get better at it each time. :mad: