Register now to get rid of these ads!

My first 32 Chevy build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carl5Coupe, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Bob
    You are the man.

Thanks, I'm sure they will get used. :cool:

2. rottenrods

rottenrods

I love them Chevy's. This is my new favorite thread. Lots of pics and narration. Keep up the good work

3. Ghost28

Ghost28

I moved up the motor mounts to make some room for the steering box. I hope its not to high. Can it be to high, if so is there a height that I should be looking for?

Engine mounts should be fine. They look to be about where I usually build mine. The only thing might be a larger tunnel will be needed for the trans clearance. It's looking real good keep us posted...John

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

4. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Well I'm getting a bit done this week. I cleaned up the motor and Debby wire wheeled the tranny and the block. I also had to round up all my tools that my teenage son Danny and his buddy's had lost on the tranny they changed out a earlier this year in his 4x4 truck . That took all night. :( The motor will get painted black this weekend and installed until I have the cash to build it. That will help with the frame X bracing I have to do and a few other things. I came home today and had 2 slicks on the front porch that a buddy left for me. I cleaned up the rims and had to install the tires just to see how they look and that gets me a rolling frame. The tires cost me a case of beer. Good deal man. :cool:

I love Phat tires!!! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  5. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

I'm cleaning up the motor tonight and plan on painting it but not sure what color to paint it. The car is most likely going to be satin black so I was wanting some color. Any ideas?

Carl

6. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Carl, I wish I could move at your pace, you're gonna have that car done by Valentine's Day!:) My personal choice, if you are painting the car satin black, would be a deep red, like Buick engine red or deeper. But, you may think that's too common.
    I was in the middle of boxing the frame rails over the rear and... my MIG ran out of wire. Jim

7. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Well its red now, Its not deep enough for my taste so we looked on the internet and found some pretty deep.

http://www.net4sale.com/Shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=130

That will be the next try. But for now at least I have some color. after I put the motor in I will post some pics tomorrow.

8. Carl - Don't know about the windshield rubber, but Steele Rubber Products out of NC has good stuff, www.steelerubber.com. Also, came across another site earlier when I was looking for something, http://31chevrolet.com. The guy's a 'tiquer, but there's loads of info on '31s. He has a large list of suppliers that he recommends, too. Good luck with the build.

9. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Thanks Bowtie
    I went to check out the 31 Chevy site and it not valid.

I used to play in MD back when I was a kid. It was in the Elkton area on the Elk river. I have so many memories of that area since we used to go every weekend. One day I will get back up there and do some crabbing. That is a blast!!

Carl

10. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

The motor is painted for now to see how we like the color. I might do the rims in the same color. I think I should have put a 6" drop front tube on it. It's not as low as I would like but there is still plenty of parts to install. we will see how it looks in the end. Time to install the X bracing, master cylender and some break lines.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Looks good Carl! That's a nice red, looks good with the black. I know what you mean, I'd like to get my front end down a little lower. I have a 5" dropped axle, went with a lower profile tire, and left out a couple leaves on the front springs and it could still stand to be a little lower. How high is the top of your frame at the motor mount? Are you channeling the car?

12. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Chopper
    It's getting there. I didn't measure what the height is yet but I'm still adding weight. Yes, I have decided to channel the body and the way the floor was installed it should not be that much work. I think that will get me closer to the look I want. I have to go to Fla. next week so I have to get my 1973 VW Westy camper ready for the trip. So the channel will have to come after that.

Carl

13. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Here is what I did this weekend, It doesn't look like much but my mom & dad were in town and we did some work on the garage to bring it up to speed, see the wayns coat, base and chair rail? Then I tied in all the outlets. Good stuff that helped get rid of the power cords coming out of the basement. In all It was a very good weekend I had working with my dad. If you look back on the 1st page Oldman2 said it was a 31 and not a 32. WOW that fits well since my dad was born in 1931 and we were Chevy fans. The car was found on my way home from NC while visiting my dad who was born in 1931. It all fits. The car was waiting for me. That how things work they say.

OK
    Now back to work. I did a lot of grinding and welding this weekend and this is what took place with some help from good old dad. We put in the X bracing that I needed to keep things in place when I put the big HP in this beast. The X brace turned out just fin but I need the front of the car to sit lower. About 4" lower. (Any help would be good from all the great the HAMBERs out there.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  14. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

After the X bracing was complete it was time to test fit the body and check out what will work and what needs to be fitted a bit more. I need to put the body on and see how the car will sit so here we go. I even got the guy in the pasture that was picking up the horse manure to help with this one. (His name is Dan the horse $hit man). We fit the body but it still needs some work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Well after a long 3 day weekend it was time to sit back and look at how things are going. The body sits well but I think that the front-end needs to go lower and the body needs to be channeled. That will dress it up well. I think I will change out the front tires and lower the body over the frame and put some 31" tires on the back. That should do it!!! I hope!! :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

See ya later next week or after I get back from Fla. That is if the old VW makes it. :confused:

Carl

16. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Looking good, Carl. You move fast! Have a safe trip.

17. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Man I like that chevy. Looks like you have plenty of help. I am building a 33 chevy and there is not gonna be any wood in this one. Oh by the way you have great wife mine ask me what is that about the same part over and over !!

Attached Files:

18. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Its been a while since my last post but I have still been working on the build. I didnt like the way the body sat on the frame and the floor was to heavy so off with the body. We cut the floor loose and removed the floor. I braced the inside of the body to keep it from spreading and cut it so it fit over the frame. Now it looks much better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I played with a tilt column and I'm not sure if I want to go that way or with a straight Chevy truck column. Any input??

19. oldman2

oldman2

Hey Carl5, on putting the body over the frame, I see you have metal missing below the door and just in front of rear fender area. This should be repaired before placing body on frame for final fit. Look at the same side view at post #79 of nailheads 33 Chevy, your's should have about the same body line. Don't want the back of the car to look like it is drooping over the frame. Just my 2 cents (maybe I'm getting ahead of your work, if so I'm sorry) Tilt column makes it nice to get in and out of car, but it depends on what type of build you are going for, lets us know.

20. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

I couldn't find the post. Can you send it to me? I fitting the metal now to the lower panels, I worked all day Sunday making all the new panels that were rotted out from some sheet metal off a donor VW bug I had out by the barn. I will post some pictures tonight of the panels.

21. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Here are the panels that I made and I will say that they don't look to bad for what I had to shape them with. They all match up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bottom of the doors are next. Then the other rear panel and door the I will start the 1x1 steel tubing to frame up the inside skeleton inside the car.

22. oldman2

oldman2

Your panels look good and this will take care of the problem. The picture I was referring to is on page 4 of this thread, the #79 is at the far right side. The post you made on your panels is post #83. I don't know how to transfer his picture or I would.

23. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

24. oldman2

oldman2

Panels look really good, coming along nice.

25. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

1 piece at a time.

I'm working on the passenger side today.

26. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Todays work. One door post, rear fender well, corner panel and lower door skin. Getter done! :)

[​IMG]

27. jimmitchell70

jimmitchell70
    from CT

28. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Well its time to update. My computer crashed in the garage and that is where I did my posts. So here are a few pictures of what has been going on. I did some more work on the rockers and they turned out pretty good. It's not a show car so why not make them. They turned out pretty dam good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]