Register now to get rid of these ads!

My find of a lifetime...rust free '32 5 window!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thequietwon, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Awesome score! If it was up to me I'd give the car a hot rod stance & rubber rake, drop a 265 or 283 in it an drive the f-ing crap out of it.

2. Wow great find. I passed a guy outside Halifax hauling a 5 window that had 62 Quebec plates about a month ago that looked like a barn find. I guess they are still out there.
    5 windows rule!

3. modelkitbasher

modelkitbasher

13 K was a steal for sure man I'am not a ford man but I spot a buy from miles away.run the car with fenders on It,sbc all the way any day over a fast wrapping parts eating ford.I got a friend who has a rare engine that would drop right down In the beast and would make the old ford wanna talk to ya.numbers matching 350 LT1 1971 Z 28 camaro engine hypo was factory behind a stick car.2 -4 tunnel rammed I'd say It's pushing 550 horses at least.

4. bobbooth

bobbooth
    from limeyland

Hey I saw that advert for the car go on Graig's list, and sent the link to a couple of my buddy's who also couldn't believe it and believe me if i hadn't just bought something just as good i would have jumped on that,I can't believe that people wanted it delivered!!! at that price and condition I would just have sent the money and had it picked up, and I live in the UK Congrats on getting it and do as the previous owner said in the advert "take good care of it " Good for you

5. so it really was Bud Cranes car! ... Dunkerton Iowa seems right

6. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Ok, that was right under my nose!!! Gee, I gotta start looking at Craigslist in Idaho to find cars in Iowa? WTF???!!!!

7. skwurl

skwurl

Why does the name Bud Crane sound familiar to me?

8. Abomb

Abomb

Henry Gregor Felsen books, Hotrod, Crash Club Etc......

9. Please keep the fenders! and 265 or flathead, either way you cant go wrong.

10. Aaron Kahan

Aaron Kahan

Sam,
    What a great story and amazing price. If it were mine I would leave it as found, for the time being, with the exception of the following:

-Lower it and add new wheels, tires and caps (15's with full caps)
    -Lower the headlight bar
    -take off the split windshield bar and vent wings
    -Put a Chev back in if it is set up for it
    -Get it running and drive it.

This would be an inexpensive approach and a no brainer for me. See the attached photoshop example I did of your car.

-Aaron

Attached Files:

11. thequietwon

thequietwon

Aaron...
    I really appreciate the photoshop...that's real similar to what I have in mind.

I am doing to put it back together the way that it is...she's only a survivor once. I am keeping the fenders & lowering the car. I am going to reinstall a small block & keep the rest of the drivetrain as is. I have already removed the vent windows & bumpers. I am going to have the front axle dropped & just reverse & de-arch the springs. The car will have either a 265 or 283. I really want the car to have a mid to late 50's feel...but as a sleeper style hotrod. Eventually, I will disassemble & redo the car, but for now I want to enjoy it.
    Now, a question for all you older guys. What kind of engine mounts would have been used for this in, say '57? My 3w used the original '32 V8 mounts on the front of the block in the factory crossmember holes, but it has a butchered K-member & open drive Lasalle tranny. I have been told that these mounts work perfectly with an early tranny & K-member, but I want to make sure. If anyone knows or has other suggestions, I would appreciate it.
    By the way, I am still looking for a sbc to early ford adaptor. Again, I really appreciate the comments & suggestions...keep them coming!!
    Sam

I really appreciate all the comments & suggestions for the car...
    Sam

12. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

You should be able to sell an original set of DeSoto bumbers like those for good money. That would be a great way to lower the cost of the parts needed to get it on the street.

13. coop31

coop31

Way to go Sam, you are my hero. This deal couldn't have happened to a better guy. The best thing of all is that it will be build correct and enjoyed like it should be and never sold for profit. Sam is like me and will pass it on to his kids to enjoy in the future. As you know if you need anything let me know. Now get on it so we can roll on some road trips.

14. cederholm

cederholm

Wow!!! Great score - congratz!

15. dawford

dawford

Great find.

If it were mine the first thing I would do is buy a set of 32 reproduction headlights for it.

I am always amazed that so many 32's have other headlights installed.

1932 was the only year for the 10" headlights and I think they make the car stand out from all of the early Fords.

It's kind of like taking the fins off of 50's Cadillacs to take them off a 32.

Dick :) :) :)

16. Nice!
    I can't believe all those other idiots that wanted it delivered! Lord....

17. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Such a great thread.

You're doing a great job with this car. Keep it up!

18. Awesome story and glad to hear you're keeping the fenders!! I love lowered, full fendered hot rods!!

19. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

Congrats, I know the feeling. Just picked up my 325w last weekend, it had been sitting in a garage for last 20+ years waiting to be done. Owner passed away and his wife (family friend) called and asked if I still wanted it!!! I didn't get a complete car like you, but I paid alot less too. I got the body (unchopped) chromed windshield frame, all the garnish moldings ( excellent cond) butterfly hood, dash, grill & insert, body was in pretty good shape except floor had been cut out and original firewall had been replaced with flat metal. Going to start a build thread once I figure out how to post pics ( I'm new here)

20. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

glad to hear your keeping the fenders,just don't see enough full fendered 32's anymore.they look awesome lowered full fendered w/the right wheels.hellofa score,keep us posted......:)

21. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Again, what a score... Good for you Sam!

22. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

That is an awesome find.. Congratulations-- It sounds like it's in the right hands.. For my '41, i plan on doing something very similar.. Small block (Or, as someone else said earlier, just a Chevy V8 under 300c.i.) :)
    Cool car...

23. What a find and I love the fact that you are going to lower it, stick a SBC back in it and drive it the way it is/was. Hey, and I say that and I'm a flathead guy but the sbc is what it had - it's gotta be that way. Best of luck on your "new" car - what a story!

24. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Are you nuts, a 265 WAS the 1st sbc!

25. 32phil

32phil
    from New York

One thing we all should remember, or at least understand ....way back when, a 265 Chevy was THE motor of choice when replacing a flathead. I put one in my 39 Fordor in 1963. Bought a complete 56 210 2door just for the motor. Jumped up a bunch of HP just by going to the stock SB over the Flathead. Basically a bolt in with the Hurst kit available then.

26. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

So you are fine with the oil bath on the 265, or would you rather have an oil filter with a 283?

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Only in '55 did they have an externally mounted oil filter. In '56 the 265 had a canister type oil filter mounted to the block.

28. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

Well I guess you got a 50/50 chance then since 283 came out in 57.

29. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Glad I ended up on the right side of chance!!! I built this '56 265 with '57 heads and punched it out .125" to a final displacement of 283". I love me some early Chevy V8's and might even ditch the 331 hemi that I have for one in my '32 eventually.

[​IMG]

30. Nice score! I have a set on NOS Lyons full wheel covers that thing needs! Great ol car!!!