Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Fiat Topolino is a Flip Top now

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiat gasser, Nov 26, 2009.

1. loudbang

loudbang

NICE Ford Blue power. :)

fiat gasser likes this.
  2. One step closer! You're making some great progress. It gets easier as you see it coming together. You have to have a big smile on your face :)
    Tom

OahuEli, loudbang and fiat gasser like this.
  3. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Alot accomplished today and yes, we were all smiles. Not everything went easy but in the end it worked out. Engine went in pretty smooth. Tranny was another story. The car is so small, there is no extra room to fit things together. Everything only fits one way, no exceptions. Bolting up the converter to the flex plate we noticed that the converter pulled out away from the tranny to much. Not leaving enough of the input shafts in the tranny. Had to make spacers. Installing them was extremely difficult, we had tranny in and out several times., but it work rd out. Also installed driveshaft, tranny cooler, coil, selenoid, starter and headers.thanks to my Dad and son for taking there Saturday to help me with the car.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

OahuEli, mad mikey, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  4. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

[​IMG]stayed up late and messing around with the Fiat. Installed radiator and alternator. Starting to look like something now.

OahuEli, mad mikey, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  5. deuce1932

deuce1932
    from Australia

looking great.. not far to go now..
    That first drive will make it all worth while.:cool:

loudbang likes this.
  6. Wow that's a tight fit. Hope you didn't scratch any of that shiny tubing! Looks great!

loudbang likes this.
  7. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Just curious, why a 5000 rpm stall converter? You're going to drive this on the street, right?

8. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

The converter is a race converter that will work for the street. I don't have a trans brake so I will be foot braking the car off the line. It will allow me to flash the converter at higher rpms. It will also be able to stop and go mostly like normal.

loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  9. WOW! You kicked some but this weekend, looks beyond great.:D:D

loudbang and fiat gasser like this.
  10. loudbang

loudbang

I drove a 4000 stall on the street for years in my cobrajet you never even notice it UNTIL you pull out to pass someone at 40-50 mph and the trans kicks down and the converter flashes at the same time and you are GONE.

fiat gasser likes this.
  11. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]last night accomplished a few small things. Installed the msd box, made hanging brackets for my muffler/side pipes and installed the tach and shift light to the roll cage. Originally had it mounted to the steering column but didn't like the idea of looking down with my eyes off the road to check the tach.

TFoch and loudbang like this.
  12. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

[​IMG]it's been awhile since I saw the body on the Fiat, so here is a little visual therapy to help me through this tough time.

13. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

swade41, loudbang and TFoch like this.
  14. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

[​IMG][​IMG]spent the weekend working on the Fiat. Enclosed area on rear portion of the frame between wheelwells and fuel cell and battery. Had my trans tunnel all built. But when I built it I forgot all about the flex-plate shield. Well you guessed it, when I installed the shield the tranny cover didn't fit. Had to cut it all apart and refab so it would fit. Frustrating to say the least. On a good note, ordered a whole bunch of go fast parts and goodies. Should be here before the end of the week.

loudbang and TFoch like this.
  15. loudbang

loudbang

Good idea one can never have enough go fast goodies.

TFoch likes this.
  16. You're really making some good progress. The warmer weather must be getting you anxious for a drive!

17. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Really anxious to get it running again. Nice thing this time it is Alot of attention to details and very little fabrication. Every nut bolt and washer I am buying new fine thread grade 8. Making sure everything is tight and where it belongs. The wiring will be challenging. I had some of it done when I had it running last year. This time I need to fire out how to wire lights, directional's, horn ect. Still aways to go at least I know it's staying together this time.

loudbang likes this.
  18. I used a Ron Francis Bare Bones kit to wire my 33 Chevy. This was the first car I wired from scratch and I had no issues. Are you using a kit or doing it on your own?

loudbang likes this.
  19. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

I bought a painless kit. All wires labled. It is an eight fuse panel. May have to add in a small external fuse box for additional accessories. Hoping I can make what I have work. The next few weeks will tell for sure.

loudbang likes this.
  20. With everything you've accomplished so far I have faith you'll come through!

loudbang likes this.
  21. Busy man, it's coming together for sure, now about that convertor...lol I have a tight 3800-4000 in my J with a 4.57 gear and it works great on the street, the truck has a loose 4200 with 3.89 gear and I really dislike it, it's just to loose, it takes 3000 rpm to get it rolling, it's about a grand higher engine speed than what the gears call for on flat ground and as soon as you hit a hill it flashes the convertor trying to lock up. I'm going to a 3500 even if it knocks the tires off worse than it does now.

loudbang and fiat gasser like this.
  22. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

I am hoping for the best with the converter. Karl from Competition Transmission in Tonawamda built it for me. Based it off of dyno sheet, 411 gear, tire size ect. When I drove it last year I had a stock converter in it and it. Didn't. like that one at all. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

loudbang likes this.
  23. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] A few new parts today. Mickey Thompson tubes and slicks. The old firestone slicks that I acquired are weather checked more than I am comfortable with, so new M/T's instead. Safety harnesses, a new carburetor, 750 double pumper along with a new BDS air scoop, crankcase evap for valve cover breather to exhaust and a stainless overflow bottle for radiator. It's like Christmas here today.

swade41 and TFoch like this.
  24. loudbang

loudbang

Man I can smell the slick smoke already. The Valley open yet?

TFoch and fiat gasser like this.
  25. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

I think the Valley opened last week. I know they had a swap meet and a test and tune day.

loudbang likes this.
  26. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

[​IMG][​IMG]throttle linkage and gas pedal assembled and functioning. Still need to fine tune it a little.

CGkidd, loudbang, TFoch and 1 other person like this.
  27. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

OahuEli, loudbang and TFoch like this.
  28. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

[​IMG][​IMG]here's the new slicks mounted on a pair of indy slotted rims 15x10 that have finally made their way to the Fiat.

29. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

[​IMG][​IMG]forgot to mention picked up a real nice carb spacer from Big Al's Toy Box and a nice scoop cover. Couple other parts not from Al's, new valve covers with exhaust evap setup to run to exhaust.

30. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Been busy working on the Fiat. About half of the wiring is completed, seats and 5 point harnesses installed. With it being such a small car, every part and piece has a out zero clearance or additional space for anything. Spent over 20 hrs just installing a seats and belts. Much easier to do with body off of the car.[​IMG][​IMG]