Register now to get rid of these ads!

My fiancés new 1936 Buick 3 window coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by LiveActionMotorsports, May 1, 2016.

1. Baldies

Baldies

I was looking at that, wondering what they were from. I knew if I waited long enough I wouldn't have to show my ignorance.
    "MMMM MMMM! Gonna show my ignorance to nooooooobody."

LiveActionMotorsports likes this.
  2. Baldies

Baldies

Exactly. You open the dist. thinking the the points are here and find they are there. So now you think you need to rotate the dist. 180 degrees. But the points are not 180 degrees off. Only in your mind are they off. But you see it with your own eyes so you are sure it is true. The points can not move by themselves. So what is the only variable? Checking the points at TDC exhaust and at TDC compression. I have done it a few times myself.
    As far as your engine running so rough, probably just the timing off. Pretty hard to set the timing by TDC. You should be able to time it real close by ear until you get the use of a timing light.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    hacknwhack likes this.
  3. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

Thinking about that clicking under the valve cover,
    that came and went.

My best guess is ... one more valves are sticking open/ stuck in the guides.
    my 263 did that a few times
    Right after startup especially when Cold
    Gave me a good scare.
    Was hard to start and ran rough, low and uneven compression etc
    Might have been the root of your problem all along.

I would ultimately pull the head then the valves for inspection.
    But i might suggest
    pulling the rocker cover and soak Marvel mystery oil on the valve stems.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G920P using H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. My manual for my 52 is over at my buddies where I've been building my other motor (263) I just ordered one for the 36 it should be here any day so that will help me out with fine tuning this old girl.

Hacknwack I found the noise issue. Somebody put the valve cover on backwards. whoops haha I flipped it back around when i got home today. Didn't have much time to do anything else.

Baldies I'm gonna give her hell tomorrow set her back to tdc and see where it's at again. Then triple check and set the dist back in.

Story that's good stuff! Haha yeah it got me last night thankfully it's still 6v and not 12! Been a while since I've done that!

I also pulled my dist out tonight and confirmed nothing is broken, so I'm now stumped on what caused the timing to jump.

hacknwhack and Stogy like this.
  5. Baldies

Baldies

That dist. is like schrodinger's cat. :)

hacknwhack, Squablow and volvobrynk like this.
  6. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Do you watch big bang theory or are you that smart. Lol

Just to be clear, what do @'Mo mean by " don't miss"?

It's a 1941 Chevy knee action IFS, the only traditional IFS!

I love that car, I would also love to know what happened to it.
    I'm proud to be born in the same country as Ak.

tb33anda3rd and Baldies like this.
  7. Baldies

Baldies

:p

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. At last she's alive!!!! Not sure what the hell is wrong with my other distributor but I kept fighting it, it's coming out of time some how but the shaft has no play pin is in good shape along with the gear. I pulled the dizzy from my 263 dropped her in and she's singin the blues now! Still need to dial on the timing. Also it only like to run with the choke damn near closed. Does anybody have any knowledge on how the vaccum operated chokes work on these or how to adjust them? I took her on a 20 mile trip into town to see my fiancé at the lake and surprise her again that now the cars runnin! I need to Oder tires BAD! Black walls or white walls? Hmmmmm. [​IMG]

tb33anda3rd, Torkwrench, LONG and 6 others like this.
  9. Baldies

Baldies

I'm happy for you. Happy you got the car. Happy you got the car running. Jealous you got the girl though.
    That's a nice car. Big too.

10. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

That's cool. Great shot. Glad to hear you're at least at the first step. No more video selfies. We did notice you went left of center with that 80 yr old steering assembly.

11. wicarnut

wicarnut

KOOL ! Happy wife, Happy life, there's something about them old Buicks, my wife picked out a 51 Roadmaster for her ride.

12. Back roads in the country. We always cut corners haha

Petejoe likes this.
  13. Truly is something about them! Love Buicks! Especially straight 8's!

wicarnut and 'Mo like this.
  14. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

That car really looks nice....and your fiancé definitely adds a real nice and pleasant visual to the car 'presence' overall....the whole concept has a lot of class and will turn heads in 'double-look' at every mile added to the speedometer ...nice job!!!...you are a very lucky man indeed!;)

15. I'm going to get tires soon. I want to eventually lower this ole girl and give it the tail dragger look. What's yours guys thoughts on how low I should go and what's the tallest tire I can run while being lowered? It has 6.50 -16 on it right now and I don't necessarily wanna go to a taller tire since those are already big but I found a local set of 6.70's for cheap I might snag

16. 'Mo

'Mo

I took the liberty of taking a pic over to the Phptoshop thread, where themoose was kind enough drop the headlights and shave the fenders. Maybe they could be made even lower by shortening the mounts and/or bringing them forward a tad. Wha'tya think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  17. Looks good I like it!

'Mo and volvobrynk like this.
  18. Torchie

Torchie

As to tire size. I am running 600-16 on my custom 1941 Ford as it was the stock size. 650-16 were available as an option I believe.
    I am also running a 3-7/8 width white wall which is wider than most use but I feel that it fits my build better.
    If you are looking to keep it pre-war style then the wider white walls are the way to go. Or you could go with black walls as well.
    Here are some pics of mine with the 47 cadillac sombrero 16" wheel covers that I will be using.
    Also a pic of my build.
    I saw that you posted over on the Jesse Lopez coupe build. Jer is running 15" wheels I believe which is what a lot of guys did back in the day. Mercury started to offer them as an option after the war.
    Torchie IMG_2422.jpg Torchie41FordPickUpSideRH12-vi.jpg

Attached Files:

19. Looks killer man love your build! The 6.50 or 6.00 is referring to the height of the tire correct?

20. Torchie

Torchie

6.50 or 6.00 refers to the width of the tire. 6.50's are wider then 6.00.
    If you go to the Coker tire site and look at bias ply tires it will give you the overall height of the tire. The width of the tire as well as what width rim is recommended. As do other tire sites.
    Mine are Lester brand tires from Lucas Tires.
    If you are currently running 6.50 with no issues then that is a good place to start. 6.70 is a very tall tire I believe.
    I know that it is hard to pass up a good deal but it is only a good deal if it is what you need.
    Here is a link to Coker 6.70-16 https://www.cokertire.com/670-16-firestone-blackwall.html
    Hope this helps.
    Torchie

21. FortMoe

FortMoe

I like the lowered headlights!

22. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

So Cool!! Good trade. And you are both lucky

23. Alright I got the timing close now it's running like a top. However once it gets up to operating temp if I shut her down she doesn't want to start acts like the battery is dead. Think my starter is goin bad? Battery weak? Cables improper size or bad? The battery looks to be a year old and the cables look original. Keep in mind I have been crankin and crankin on this thing with a jumper box while I was trying to get her to fire with the distributor issue.

24. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Have your battery checked anyway. Then replace ALL your cables with 00 size wire. Clean all battery and ground connector points at frame engine, starter and solenoid.

25. Thanks for the advance I'll let ya know the results!

26. Well I scored 2 - 6.70/15's today for 360$ I thought well I can the 15's from my 52 and then I can run some hubcaps. Well when I dismounted the tires somehow the tire machine came loose and bent the shit out of the hub of one of the wheels. after getting 1 tire on and the wheel as straight as I could get it (for now) I popped them on and ran through a few of my choices that I currently have. I don't remember the exact years so if you know the years feel free to say! I forgot I had a set of 16" Cadillacs so I just set that one next to the car to see what it looks like.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I think I like the Buick caps from my 52 on it.
    Typically I ran the Olds's cap on my 52 but those also look good I think. What's your guys thoughts?

27. 'Mo

'Mo

ALL great choices! :)

Where to start?
    As a rule, I tend toward the earliest workable solution as a target. It's rare to have a '40's style custom, so the Caddy covers have a lot of merit.

Visually, I really like the Olds covers. These are among my favorites, and would still date the car back to at least 1950.

That said, I would choose the Buicks, primarily because they fit so few wheels. They are the cleanest sombrero type cover of all, but very few people get to use them. You just won't see them on the Chevys and Fords parked next to you! They would still hold the build era to just 1952 (although I'm sure some people will mistake them for Lincoln Premiers.;)). AND they are Buick.:cool:

The ribbed Merc covers also suit the look, and date to '52-'53. The other Merc cover is 1954.

BTW, Hubcaps.com is a good resource for checking vintage wheel covers.
    http://www.hubcaps.org/

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  28. Rikster

Rikster

29. Thanks for the info I'll have to check out that site! It's s Toss for me between the cad and Buicks. I think I'm leaning towards the Buicks tho! I do wish they were a little earlier but 1952 isn't bad! Also they are BUICK!

telekenfun likes this.