Register now to get rid of these ads!

My father-in-law Larry Petit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni, Nov 22, 2009.

1. that is some neat stuff ..
    Thanks for posting..

Rick

2. erock805

erock805

Killer stuff Whitey! thanks fer postin

3. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

Don't know if these were posted yet, I can't see any pic's. If they are double posted...sorry

Attached Files:

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

One of the coolest finds ever man!!! Geez, I was excited when I found out my father in law replaced his 265 with a 283 in the late 60's. I am not sure what I would do if he was this cool hahaha!!!

This is the baddest picture ever!!! New Wallpaper!!!

[​IMG]

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I see that he ran at Tri-City Dragway here in the Saginaw valley. I was at that track the first day it opened and the last day they ran. In between i'm guessing I only missed a half dozen days they were open. I remember your father-in- law racing there (it hosted just about anyone who was anyone in it's heyday). I'll go through some of my pictures and see if I took any of him and his car. A lot of times I forgot my camera as getting my car there and racing were the primary reason I was breathing in those days.

Frank

6. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

i opened this to show my wife and she knew every name on there. She said it was her dads best friends. Do they still keep in touch? If not I can send you his email and number im sure he would love to reconnect with anyone.

7. Awesome man, thanks for posting!

8. sliderule67

sliderule67
    from Houston

It was the best of times; it was the worst of times

Any car man named Larry Joe that had a flat top haircut in '66 is good people. ...slide

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

9. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Thanks for posting this. It's like "National Treasure" for automobilia.

10. Great post, cool history..........
    thanks

my father-in-law liked fishin'

11. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

been awhile on this thread, sorry so guess btt.

yeah lowkat thats what he likes to do no.....damn how i wish he had some old stuff around....

12. hotrodgary

hotrodgary

Awesome stuff, great history!!!!!!
    I bet I could sit for hours and listen to his stories!

-Gary

13. Bud

Bud
    from Orange, CA

Don't know how I missed this the first time around, but this is one of my favorite posts on the board lately. I bet I saw him run at Irwindale, not that I would remember specifically as I was very young, but my dad and I were there almost every weekend in the late 60's, early 70's.

GREAT STUFF, thanks for posting.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  14. 61TBird

61TBird

Are you going to see him for Christmas so you can get more stories and pics?? Hint,Hint,Hint....:D:D:D

One more thing,you can get around the photobucket "upgrade to pro", by creating different accounts.
    As long as you upload pics to them at least once a month,they stay active.

15. racer756

racer756

Great stories, sounds like he had a great career,except for that reverser deal...

16. lorodz

lorodz

cool story ....

17. How did i miss this thread...WOW

Get someone to sit down with him and a recorder, his racing life and photos could be a book and not lost forever.

18. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

He called me awhile back when I first put this up and said (he is very old schol) whats this I hear Im all over the internet!!!! hahah I told him how its a Hot Rod site where people just talk and bullshit about old cars and customs and there alot of people who love old drag racing history/pjotos. He said ok...but i did tell him to write down some of the history of these cars and some old stories and he said he would. My wife and I bought some scrap books so for his christmas prsent we are putting all fo this into an organized cool scrap book for him. I will be framing some of them though. As I have said he is very very sharp still so he could tell you about every damn one of his cars and the specs and who he raced on what date, how he lost or won, its pretty crazy.

19. Awesome stuff! Thanks.

BTTT - for those that missed it.

20. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Great thread, BTT. Badass!

Attached Files:

21. Cool shit! My father in law has been into gokarts for the last 50 plus years, have heard some cool stories, and seen some nice old pics. I second the motion of getting a tape recorder and taping him and his stories. Or a video camera would be even better! THANKS FOR SHARING!;)

22. AntiBling

AntiBling

Thank you for bumping this thread! Great photos.

So did you sign a pre-nup with your wife before you got married? That you get to keep her father if things go south?

23. Great stuff there, Thanks!

24. Very cool stuff! Sorry I missed it first time around.

25. Bad Night

Bad Night
    from Akron Ohio

This is awesome . I gotta thank you Fallon . Larry is my dad . He was born in Ohio in 1934 . Graduated Mogadore High School in 1954 and was already drag racing and raising hell . I've heard some great stories from him both about racing and all kinds of other wild things they did as kids that would get you put away nowadays . Him and my mom lived in Cali for 18 mos , Feb 4 1964 - July 5 1965 . They came home in Falcon Futura w a uhaul trailer and his dragster chassis on top of all there stuff on the uhaul , He is on the phone telling me this now . They came home cause my Grandma Petit had cancer .

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  26. Bad Night

Bad Night
    from Akron Ohio

I'll try to get more stories from him and post them up .

27. Bad Night

Bad Night
    from Akron Ohio

This car has a Vespa body on it . They got in Kent at a gas station . It was burned up all but the body . They paid $100 bucks for it .

He said it had a 2 speed Lasalle tranny out of a hearse . The motor came out of his 1940 willies when he sold it . It (the red Vespa ) went 10.35 @ 136 mph .

His fastest pass was 6.02 @ 242 mph in the A&S Ripper .

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  28. Bad Night

Bad Night
    from Akron Ohio

Yea , he still remembers this .

29. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

ohhello my sweet Eric. Eric is Larrys son ahhaha...Eric send messages o the guys who knew your dad. sure wish you still had that helmet....man that was sweet.

30. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

Ask him about Billy Smith painting his helmet.