Register now to get rid of these ads!

My EZ-UP Paint booth.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SMOKINFLATHEAD, Sep 17, 2009.

1. holyroller

holyroller
    from KTOL

What a great idea! I'm like a lot of guys on the hamb, I want to paint my own ride but don't want overspray all over my crap in the garage. This would work great!!!

2. aldixie

aldixie

I did something si,ilar with my car port and used box fans with the ac filters, works well and no overspray anywhere. Friend did the same the last couple of weekend to paint his truck.

3. Saw a guy use corrigated 3" drain pipe that was perforated, hooked to a squirrel cage type exhaust fan, under the car while painting in a portable car port. Redneck dowdraft paintbooth. I hope that makes sense.

4. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

A few years ago, I was getting a pickup ready to sell and it needed the hood painted. No big deal I thought, nothing I can't handle at home.

I worked outside and had the hood ready for paint. Spraying some primer didn't raise enough fog to bother anyone. Then one morning it was dead calm outside, and I decided that I better get out and shoot the thing.

I was using a BC/CC system. I have shot BC/CC before, and I knew it's pungent stuff, but I had never shot it out of a paint booth. So.....I lay down some base coat, and while waiting for it to flash I realize that I had raised a hell of a fog that was just floating in the calm air. It was bad, real bad. I'm talking birds falling from the trees bad (Ok, I'm exaggerating now, but you could probably easily smell it two blocks away) The magnitude of how badly this stuff reeked was way beyond anything I had imagined.

At this point, I had no choice but to continue. I got the clear on it a fast as I could and quickly gathered all the evidence and ran inside to hide. Luckily, at the time I was spraying the clear, a lady down the street came out and started doing a Krylon job on some old lawn chairs. By the time anyone started to stir around to see what was up, she got all the dirty looks. Nobody realized how nasty that Krylon stuff is.

5. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

6. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

What kind of paint product will you be spraying in your EZ-UP?

What kind of respirator, and what type of filters does it have, how old is that respirator and those filters?

If you're thinking you'll be O.K. with a hardware store respirator and filters,
    and box fans for positive displacement of air within this thing I'd like to encourage you to rethink this! The isocyanate acid in most hardeners used in acrylic and urethane paints today, can really fuck you up! The levels at which these acids, to say nothing of the other solvents contained in paints, will be present at fatal, or near fatal concentrations! Unless you have a fresh-air respirator i.e. one that gets its oxygen from outside of the mask itself, and a complete suit that will seal off the pores of your skin from the fumes, I'd say your idea is nothing short of insane! Every pore of your skin on your body is an open window it your bloodstream, and thus your liver, kidneys brain,etc.

I won't begin to invision what would happen with a "booth" filled with fumes, filters filled with overspray, and a short or interruption of power to one of the non-explosion proof fixtures in your setup.

I was once told by an old painter " if you are lucky enough to have survived a spray booth fire, you'll have wished you hadn't"!

Good luck!

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Nemo me imdune lacessit"

7. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

The filters are brand spanking new. I wear a full face 3m respirator in which I have been "fit tested", and I cover my body completely.:) That being said, I'm shooting Northstar epoxy sealer primer. I understand your concern, and have taken into account all situations of lower explosive levels. Thank you. Most people don't have the understanding about the skin being the largest organ in your body and that it absorbs cemicals, The lungs are the fastest absorbing organ and will aid in killing you with cemicals the quickest. I hope that your questions and comments have helped those reading this thread.

8. 55CadillacTed

55CadillacTed

i plan to set up a 10x20 carport in my driveway.
    Use the TP HVLP turbine gun.

I was thinking of using the same setup as above (box fan pushing fresh air in, through a simple furnace filter.). And of course a new respirator & full body suit.

PimpinPaint - you're saying this definitely won't provide sufficient fresh air?
    Can you recommend a filter that would work?

Thanks

9. indyjps

indyjps

Ive considered taking a box fan apart and mouting the motor remotely, just the blade and the fan in the box, the motor driven off a belt outside the area that air is drawn thru? dont know if its worth the trouble, got a few beat up box fans though

10. REBEL43

REBEL43
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from TENNESSEE

Like indyjps idea, had a big homemade shop fan, plywood box with motor on top. also like the idea with perforated tubing to get down draft.

11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I found a pop up shade frame last year, cheap Garage sale.
    I will be doing some parts in it this spring

12. I made a smaller version out of a box and fan. I great idea.