Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical My Engine is Cursed.....I need to consult a Wizard.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Falcon H, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Falcon H

Falcon H
    from Waco Texas

I've found something rather strange............I wanted to make sure that I was timing from the compression-TDC, so I cranked the engine until the intake valve (the inside one) on the #1 cylinder just closed and the turned the engine to the top of #1's stroke. I found that the distributor was indeed out 180 degrees, but one other thing I noticed was that both timing marks were pointing straight up. My motor manual lists TDC as the timing marks pointing together.....and that is a TDC, just not the right one. I'm not sure whats going on........am I correct in assuming that Pontiacs time on #1?

Thanks!

2. More importantly, you'll want to make this initial adjustment when the lifters are contacting the base circle of the cam lobe, for example TDC of the compression stroke for a given cylinder. And this is assuming that you've got hydraulic lifters and the rockers are considered to actually be adjustable on this particular engine. On most Pontiacs they weren't.

On your video it sounds like you have little or no compression. Your compression gauge may have been telling you the truth. :eek:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  3. ClayMart I was going to say the same thing almost sounds like he has the spark plugs out when its spinning over.Bruce.

4. I knew I'd heard that "389 Pontiac with no compression" sound before. :p

You gotta at least here it running a bit around the 5:00 minute mark. ;)

5. Mark Roby

Mark Roby

What do you mean by "both timing marks"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Falcon H

Falcon H
    from Waco Texas

It was! I tested it with an air compressor and it's working, so I tested a couple cylinders and they all read 0 PSI (even with oil)! When the compression tester came out covered in gritty metallic filth, I decided that the heads needed to come off, so I could make a plan from there. Here's the engine with the valley pan off: filth2.jpg
    Disgusting:eek:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  7. Falcon H

Falcon H
    from Waco Texas

The marks on the timing gears.
    Thanks! That was a great motivator!:D

8. Mark Roby

Mark Roby

Yes....pretty rough. Let us see some cylinders once the heads are off. Sorry about your luck here but you're going to get this!

9. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pontiac distributor rotation is COUNTERCLOCKWISE not cw like SBC. Double check

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Falcon H

Falcon H
    from Waco Texas

Thank you. I've watched the rotor spin with the cap off, and I know the plug wires were correct. This is exactly the kind of think I would usually mess up though! :D

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  11. Falcon H

Falcon H
    from Waco Texas

The exploratory surgery is done and the results are in! Garbo 6.jpg Trash.jpg Garbo2.jpg Garbo 4.jpg
    Yikes!!!!!:eek:

The pistons are trashed. Most of them are chipped and pitted. There's also a disturbing amount of gap between the bore and the piston, and it seems to vary from cylinder to cylinder. Everything inside is caked in carbon and metal grit. The ring ridge is BAD, even with the carbon scraped off.

On a bright note, I think the bumpstick is okay. Do you guys think the valves could be cleaned and salvaged too? Garbo 1.jpg

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed to be further from the road, but this is probably ultimately a good thing. Even if this engine hadn't had any major problems, at its age it would've probably would've smoked like a train and make 50 hp :D. I have 2 blocks to choose from: the original 316 with stuck pistons and this 287. I'm leaning towards the 316 (more displacement rah-rah), so I'll beat the pistons out and see what I have to work with. I been scheming about sleeving the block and slapping in a crankshaft from a 389 (it should have a 3" main, just like my block). A 365.3 :D. Does this sound like a good plan? I've wanted to do a real rebuild for a while now, so I'm pretty excited!

I'll probably make a new thread for it once it starts coming together.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  12. Falcon H

Falcon H
    from Waco Texas

oops....www.crankshaftcoalition.com said that 316s had 3" mains, but I just measured mine and they're wrong. So much for that idea.

13. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Time for a 455 Pontiac engine. Maybe cheaper too?

14. joee

joee

not to insult you at all but I think ur above your knowledge base. it would be worth it to find a good mechanic to help you.

seadog likes this.
  15. Mark Roby

Mark Roby

We all started somewhere. Buy a chiltons manual. Go carefully and methodically. Keep your parts in order and learn. Have some fun. You may have to go back and it will cost you a few bucks but education always does. That block will likely need boring which ain't cheap. Pistons ain't cheap. If it's about money, rebuilding may not be the ticket. If it's about increasing your knowledge and life experience, go for it

hans mercman and seadog like this.
  16. Sorry your motor went south on you.Bruce.

17. southcross2631

southcross2631

Go to Egge and look at their rebuild kits for old cars. Rebuild it yourself and you will know exactly what you have.

18. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

This is where you find out how much it costs to rebuild a Pontiac. Get the block and crankshaft you plan to use cleaned and checked to make sure they are salvageable and to decide what pistons you will need.

19. Step one: Find a 58 370 or a 59 389. Paint it 56 green. Don't waste your money on a 316.
    Step two: When it's all done, put an HEI in it.