Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Edsel turns out to be very Rare... Here is the story.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TULSA, Dec 29, 2012.

1. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

I bought this 1958 Edsel Pacer 2dr Hardtop a few months back off of Craigslist. I always enjoyed the look of Edsels, and after I sold my Poncho, I wanted a decent late 50s early 60s cruiser.
    We went to pick it up about 3 hours away. Looked good so we hauled it home. In that past few months I have had the tank cleaned out, I ran new fuel line, new brake lines, rebuilt the carb and had the seats redone. Now it just needs a few minor details addressed.

I decided to go ahead and post it up for sale here. The next day I get an email from an Edsel enthusiast asking me to see a picture of the data tag. Also saying, if its original color its a very rare combo. Well the combo on the data tag is QER. I previously read that this color combo was discontinued before the end of 1957. Edsels started production on July 15,1957. This car was built July 17, 1957. After talking to an Edsel Historian and Registry, it is currently the only documented car with this rare tri color scheme. Before this one he had only seen documentation of one other that was scrapped 30 years ago.

While yes its just the paint colors, whats the big deal, it seems in the small world of already seldom seen Edsels, this is a big deal. Unfortunately Edsels have never had a strong value, even though they only made 6100 Pacers in 1958.

I have revised my for sale add, but I am uncertain what I plan to do. I would love to keep this car knowing its history and rarity, but anyone that knows me, knows I do not keep cars for long once I get them fixed up and going. I just love to sell and trade. But I figured I would post this story up, I always enjoy reading about interesting buys, and would love to hear what any other Edsel owners have to say about this car.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

I myself would have taken that as a sighn to KEEP the car! That is really cool! I love edsels and I think that car will go up in value, I know if I had the car I would be valuing the car very high! That is a beautiful car and those are really nice driving cars! You are going to miss that car when its gone. Jim

3. gatz

gatz

jeeze, where do you guys FIND these cars ?!?!?!

(on edit...)

I see that you found it on Craigs....but I mean really !

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. Model T1

Model T1

That is a great looking car, rare or not. I can't see buying a car because you like it then selling right when it's finished. That means you can buy cars you don't like if you don't plan on keeping them. :confused:
    I've always liked the Edsels too.

5. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

Drive the price as high as you can!

Just kidding. They are nice driving and rare but the market is weird on Edsels. People want all the goofy options and odd combos. Yours may sell well. Good luck either way. If you keep it lower that front end.

6. lawman

lawman

That is a neat story and a neat car !!!!!!

7. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

Yeah I do not understand it either, I think I enjoy fixing them up and selling and repeating more than keeping one car. However I am on the fence with the sale of this one after finding all this out. I do have a Model A I am building, the plan was to sell it when done...

8. slammed

slammed

Is it me, or does this car scream 'Nads, take me home!'

9. HELLVIS

HELLVIS

10. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

Thats a good point. I kind of have a feeling this car could be worth a good amount in years to come, but it makes my head hurt thinking of keeping a car that long.

If I keep it, yes the front will be lowered... which will drive the purists crazy! They already cant stand the wheels and blocks in the rear. I have been called a clueless fool on a Edsel Restoration Facebook page.:D

11. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

I can see the reason that color combo is rare. That considered,it doesnt increase the value.

12. Model T1

Model T1

Tulsa glad you took this the way I intended it. Almost deleted because it sounded sort of smart assed. Who knows what lurks in the minds of car guys!
    Double your asking price and drive it awhile.

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It's funny how sometimes ugly can be cool. I'd like one just because nobody liked them when they came out. In fact, I've only seen one and that was at a Ford only show. I've never seen one on the streets of Houston or anywhere else. But, if flipping is your bag, good luck.

14. O.Hove

O.Hove
    Member Emeritus
    from S.D.

Love the 58 Edsels.
    I see it has options ,like pass.side mirrior,backup lights and bumper over riders with rubber insert.Does it have a compass?
    I would love to buy your's,but I have 3 ,58's now. One is a pacer 2-door h.t. one is a 2-door sedan all one color (sammon ) like your insert. Do you have the wheel covers?
    They were colored to the car.
    If you keep it,i invite you to join the Edsel H.A.M.B. club.
    O.Hove

15. 60 Belair

60 Belair

Very cool car, ITS a keeper!

16. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

FB is retarded. I get compliments on mine all the time lowered. Multi trophy winner. Use Aerostars springs.....$50 and an hour or two of work.

17. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

I do not have the wheel covers, but I do have original wheels.

I am always interested in the differences of taste in style. Some love em, some dont. Not many cars can say that.

18. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

That car is so cool. Just lower it a little and drive it.......Nice score on this one. You got to love CL.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  19. A set of Aerostar springs would drop it about 2" in front. If you want you could ship it to Canada, I'll look after it for you.:).

20. manyolcars

manyolcars

I'd like to find a 59 front clip for my car

21. belair

belair

I like the color combo. It is very tasteful. I have a friend who owns a factory gray 57 T-bird. Supposed to be one of 5 known. Hope the rare combo gets you a better price.

22. edweird

edweird

its ugly. but its pretty too!

23. edsel.fi

edsel.fi

Abosolutely gorgous is your Edsel ! keep it !!! Awesome color combo, just put aerostar springs to front or remove blocks from behind , hah hah.

But why seats are all white ??? should be coral & white ![​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  24. macktruk

macktruk

Hi,
    Five years ago I have a 58 Pacer with these same colors, except, the roof was painted the same color as the spear. I loved that car and had to sell it because I was moving from Sacramento, Ca to Pittsburgh, Pa and no garage to put it in. I bought it from the original owner from Sacramento. He was on a trip thru Texas and the Teletouch buttons quit working and he sat for three days in the middle of Texas until someone found a mechanic that built him a mechanical floor shifter and it worked perfect for him and all the time I owned it. The Teletouch is the most unreliable part of the 58's.
    I love your car and would buy it if I had the full $8500.
    Thanks for listening,
    Ralph

25. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I went to school with a guy who had an Edsel that was totally that Salmon/ Coral color. No one wanted to ride in it with him because we all called it Pink. :D He tried trading it in and the dealer told him he would give him the trade in value, but to just keep the car, he said he would never be able to sell it and didn't want it on his lot.

Funny how time changes things, now that color would be cool.

Don

26. The lowering, etc can all be undone....very easily. So the restorers need to take a chill pill.

I'd document it's rarity to whatever extent you can and then get the maximum dollar out of a restorer.

I'm in marketing....it's all about marketing your stuff to the right person. In this case, the hard core Edsel restorer guys are where you're gonna make your money.

27. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

Nice looking car. Gotta love those 50's paint schemes. They really stand out coming down the road compared to today's colors , they kinda look like Easter eggs .
    Seems like things were more colorful years ago especially cars.

28. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Cool find.. Nice car.. But hey, if you can make some jack to buy something better, then move it on down the rod...

29. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I agree with Rusty Fords - don't do anything that can't be undone. Somewhere out there is an Edsel fanatic that wants to be the owner of a "one-only" 58 early production Edsel. Were I you, I would concentrate on marketing it through Edsel Owners' clubs. It's a beautiful car, and deserves to be in the hands of an Edsel lover.

dj

30. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Never been a real Edsel fan, mostly due to the ugly rear ends...(JMHO)....but that one really is a sweet looking car...and in the last few years I even have considered buying a one !
    Very nice.
    Good luck selling itl
    Cheers,