Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures My Deuce Got Wrecked On the Way Home From Bonneville

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Mike

Mike

On the way home from Speedweek at Bonneville, about 15 miles north of Kingman AZ, my Deuce Tudor was wrecked. I had about 500 miles behind me and another 200 miles to go.

At about 5:30 Thursday evening I was traveling in the right hand lane at 65-68 mph on Hwy 93 (straight, 4 lane divided highway with a dirt median) when a woman in a Honda began to pass me in the left lane. When she got next to me, for some reason she drifted into the dirt median and lost control of her car. She pitched over 90 degrees so that the front of her car was pointed at me, came back on to the roadway, back accross the left lane and hit may car T-Bone fashion. My car spun 180 degrees and came to rest in the median facing the wrong way, against traffic. Her car came to rest in the median a few feet from mine, facing in the direction of traffic.

Somehow I was not hurt at all in the accident (I'm very lucky in that sense). My car was seriously damaged, left front wheel and tire scratched to hell, front axle bent, spindle bent, tie rod bent, fender destroyed, frame bent, cowl dented, driver door caved in, running board damaged and the body is generaly tweaked. After the Highway Patrol had taken their measurements and filled out their report, I had the car towed in to Kingman where I straightened the tie rod as best as I could, adjusted the tow in/tow out so the car was drivable and drove the rest of the way home (to avoid a $1000 tow bill or spending the night in Kingman).

The Honda had a damaged front bumper and was able to be driven away.

At the time of the accident, conditions were clear and sunny, sun at our backs. We were traveling on a smooth, wide, straight section of highway. There were no obstacles (bumps, potholes, coyotes, etc.) The cause of the accident is plain carelesness and stupidity. There are people out there who give no more thought to driving than they do to pushing a shopping cart.
    VERY AGGRIVATING!

Other than this incident, Bonneville was great. Thank god I wasn't hurt and she does have insurance, so the car will be repaired.

Oye Vey!

P.S. I don't know how this thread got labeled as "Motion Pictures"

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  2. OH Man - Glad you are OK. Sorry for your car.

3. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

That totally sucks. I always wondered how much of a dumbass you have to be to wreck just driving straight down the road. But, some people seem to manage somehow. She was probably checking out you and your car and lost it.

4. Adam D.

Adam D.

that sucks man... thoughts are with u. was the chick atleast hot??

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Yikes. Glad to hear no one was hurt. She was probably texting.
    I bet that was scary as hell.

6. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

Real bummer.......glad you're OK. The bent frame is a bit of a problem. Hope you get her running again, soon.

7. Glad your okay.I just got back to Wisconsin last night from Bonneville.We ran into several idiots out there who drove like fools. Usually whipping in and out of traffic while they were on their cellphones.

8. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

sucks but I am glad your OK.

9. MilesM

MilesM

Wow. Glad you are OK. Hope she had insurance.

10. At least your good and the car is always fixable

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DUDE! That SUCKS!!! Sorry to hear that Mike!! That's a real bummer for sure!

Without getting on my box... I would bet there was a cell phone involved; texting or otherwise.

Glad you're okay man! That is AMAZING you drove it home too!! Goes to show what a good build can stand up to as well as old iron, for that matter.

12. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

Sorry to hear about the accident. Your lucky you were'nt hurt or killed. My worst fear driving a hot rod on the road.......IDIOTS
    I've noticed that people tend to pull up along side and then cruise for a few minutes while they look over.....They usually drift in the direction they're looking.
    I was driving my model A back from Bonneville Sunday at about 70mph and had a UPS driver hauling triples pull this shit on me just west of Winnemuca on I-80. Had a fair amount of cross wind to deal with so he was ALL OVER the road with 72 feet of trailers, most of which was in my lane. All the while he's creeping past me he's honking his horn and giving me the thumbs up shit. Scared the crap outa me. I thought sure I was going off the shoulder.

I hope everything works out for ya on the repairs.

Rich

13. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

scary. glad you're ok

14. Mike -- Sorry to read about the shit-
    I drive that strech of road 8 -10 times a year in a rod and every time there is at least 1 IDIOT out there.
    Have never been hit out there but had to get on the binders a few times.
    Glad she's got insurance- Stick it to them for a new chassis.
    If ya need any help P.M. me as I owned a collision shop for over 40 years and maybe I can help ya out with suggestions dealing with the insurance co.
    Don

15. Sorry to hear that.

Sounds like she may have fell asleep at the wheel or was at least distracted. Drowsy or distracted driving does more dammage and kills more people every year than drunk drivers.

I know some guys that can fix that for you..

16. Bull

Bull

Wow . . . thank God you're ok. My Model A and I weren't so lucky a couple months ago. Sorry to hear about your misfortune but glad to hear you're ok.

17. I spent a night in Kingman 30 years ago. I wouldn't wish that on anybody!!!!!
    Did you see the girl in the flatbed Ford? Probably too busy. Hope the insurance comes through for you.

OK, she used to live in Winslow, but the law ran her out of town and now she's hangin' in Kingman

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  18. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

This smacks of another cell phone moron. Ever see the video of car after car sliding on an icey street and crashing into each other? Notice the chick yaking on a cell phone? She never stops talking or drops the phone to drive with both hands. Just yaks and yaks and crashes. Glad you're OK.

19. BIG BUMMER DUDE! lets see the damage somebody may have some parts to get you rolling again.

20. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Bitch! That sucks man. :(

21. Sorry to hear that. Glad you are ok.
    Between Wendover and Salt Lake City I saw signs that said
    "Drowsy Driving Causes Crashes"

22. The cool thing about this is that you are okay, the lady is okay (albeit a shitty driver) and that she has insurance and even cooler is that you were driving it and not hauling it in an enclosed jewelry box... I was driving my 63 Riviera the other day and a guy pulls up next to me as we are driving and is trying to ask me something and was drifting over next to me and I narrowly missed a parked car trying to keep a safe distance from this guy who yells over, " I used to have a cutlass just like that one...

23. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Scary stuff for sure! So glad to hear you are ok and the car can be fixed. I'm glad we had time to chat at Bonneville :D

That's Winslow, AZ-- I stood on the corner and saw her last Thursday. Needless to say Winslow wasn't the tourist metropolis I expected:eek::(

24. str8Pipe65's

str8Pipe65's

ah man sorry to hear about the wreck glad you are alright- update us some pics if you have any so we can really feel your pain!! sorry for your loss!!

25. wvenfield

wvenfield

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. Luckily though she missed me, hit the gaurdrail and flipped. I say luckily only because nobody in her car was seriously injured. Her car was a total though.

She fell asleep. Hit the gravel, overcorrected and shot across the interstate.

Good thing that nobody was seriously hurt here either.

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Glad you are ok, every time I read about something like this STATED VALUE is the first thing that comes to mind. It she was dumb enought to try and kill you she can pay to make your car right.

27. MichaelDorman

MichaelDorman

Sorry to hear that, but glad you are OK!

28. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

That really sucks but I'm glad you're okay.

I'd bet anything it was text/Ipod related. Idiots.

29. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Thank God you're OK

30. That stinks - thankfully you were ok. I allways worry about that, I see women with kids in the car looking at me, the kids take most of the mom's attention and BINGO. My little 2000 lb rod is no match for any new car. Cars can be fixed, hotrodders aren't fixed as easily.