Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Deuce Coupe Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy Tee, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Oz Rat, too bad you're in Victoria.

A. We need more cars like yours up here and
    B. You would have no problems with rego.

2. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

The Registration Boards decision on the Chassis construction has come in.

The Engineer received clearance from the Registarion Board enabling the Chassis build to commence under an Un-restricted Registration status. What this means is that I'll be able to build a Car that can be fully Registered and not bound by Historic or Street Rod Registration restrictions, which for all those that know about this scheme makes everyday driving near impossible.

The car will be deemed a 'Modified Original Vehicle' and will be issued with a Vic Roads (Local Reg Board) Chassis Number, replacing the original Ford Frame number..... which is a pity as a bit of History Dies right there.

So I will have one original 32 Rail and one Repro Rail as part of this Chassis.

The Engineer is required to cut out the section of the corroded Rail containing the Chassis Number and keep it in His file. The remainder of the Rail will then be cut up and destroyed. This is to ensure it can't be re-birthed.

So that is the end of that Saga. Lowsquire is now free to weave his magic on this Chassis construction......... this should be good to watch.

Here is one last view of the Old Rail, as well as the other ones.... the old Left sided Rail will now be destroyed and go to Hot Rodding Heaven.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  3. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

That's a shame really but at least the project is under way now!

All the best and after looking at the Lowsquires rails at Chopped I, and I'm sure you, have faith in him building a ripper chassis.

Bring on 'The Oz Rat' build!

All the best.......

HC

4. great thread Oz rat. wish you lots of luck with the build now that yourve got approval. this is goner be epic!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  5. tinmann

tinmann

I'd still like to hear this engineer's explanation of how using one repop rail and one original is more structurally desirable than using a "matched set" of repops. As I said before, the relative flex (elasticity) of old versus new metal has got to do something to the ride quality of the finished car.

6. Cragar

Cragar

You are a bad influence Rat bastad dispite that it looks like you have the right men on the job to turn out a nice car
    and my choice for colour is red it will make it go faster

7. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

I don't think anyone doubts your thoughts, including the Engineer. But this has to do with what the Registration Board say's, Not the Engineer. the Engineer is my representative to the Reg Board. It is all about getting the car Registered for normal Street use rather than the very Restrictive Club Permit scheme we have in Oz.

But on the issue of Flex, I'd say the Boxing & Bracing that will be done will counteract the difference between the old & the new rails.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010

8. Mate, I wish you'd stop referring to the registration like this.

It is NOT like this in all states of Australia.

ps. good news with your progress to the next stage.

9. Would'nt it be easier to move to Queensland? Warmer too.... :)

10. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Can anyone advise me if what is being discussed here regarding full rego with repro '32 chassis rails (both) is relavent in NSW if using an OEM steel '31 coupe body.

11. 31 Coupe, you need to talk to the NSW TAC guys for real answers, but I can tell you there are cars being built with repro frames and rego'd on normal rego all the time. Fabricated frames (eg T-buckets) different story, that's club only.

There are some shifting sands there with the engineer system for "modified original," so as I say, for NSW don't rely on 'may mate said', talk to the TAC. Manuel Cambourakis is your man.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  12. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

I don't profess to be an expert on Registration laws in Australia so appologise if I've genralised and stated things that don't apply in other states. I only know what I need to do down here in Vic. Sure there are many ways to cheat the system, but I thought... Do it right the first time and enjoy a peacefull existence rather than worrying about tomorrow, as is what is going on in California at the moment.

13. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

If it helps; in South Australia we need either the chassis or body to be original in order to register it as a 1932 ford. Not sure what the NSW rego is like though.

14. Or you could move to Perth and have the warm weather and the added benefit of no Queenslanders. ;)

...and of course, no problems getting full rego on your hot rod. :)

15. I hate Prick Roads.....bureaucracy sucks and I have less patience than I used to.

At least you've got the ball rolling. Well done.

Did I say I hate Dick Roads?

Rat

16. good to see you got it sorted, good on ya for doing it right (or as per regs if that can be called right?). building on a good legal footing will be to your advantage in the long run.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  17. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

I've never been to Perth, but hear it's a Great place...... as for Queensland, I've been all over that State..... great place to visit, but not to live for me. I'll choose to stay down south in the Over taxed & Policed state of Victoria.

18. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

Things are starting to move along now.

Having finally been given the Green light by the Reg Board, Lowsquire has now commenced work.

The New Rail has been adjusted to be in-line with original specs, as the rear curvature was out.

Both Rails have now been Notched in the rear and a Strengthening plate installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Front Axle/Brake assembly is also underway, some adjustment of the Steering Arm is required to clear the Drop Axle and the set-up of the Frame before it can be installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That’s it for now. More to come as things progress.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  19. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Thats it for now ! Great read .... Keep the posts coming...

20. What brakes are you using? Reproduction stubs?
    <o></o>

21. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

The Brakes are 53 Bendix F100, 11 inch with all new inernals (Shoes, Springs & Wheel Cylinders). The Spindles are the Square Back 48 Ford.

The Axle is an A-Model Forged, dropped 3.5 inches.

All original items, sandblasted & covered with Black Primer. No Repro items here.

22. <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CGayle%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:EN-AU;} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:35.4pt; mso-footer-margin:35.4pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Glad you could find the parts, so the backing plates and drums are reused and rest NOS.

:(Finding usable parts to build my 37 axle is proving difficult for me so I would be willing to use repro parts to get it up and going.

23. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

That is certainly one of the hardest parts of any project. Sourcing parts & competing with the big spenders on price to kick this project off has been a one year excercise.

I'm still on the hunt for quite a few items but I have enough to take this project to the interior fit-out stage at the moment. Good luck with your hunt.

24. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

Progress at last!

Really looking forward to this one and make sure you keep us posted.

So you decided for a coupe or roadster?

Whats the go with the Flatty?

HC.

25. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

Great news, this is going to be good!

26. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

Any progress Oz Rat?

HC.

27. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

Things are continuing to move along with the Chassis Build

Lowsquire has now completed the following.

- Filled surplus holes in RH rail and straightened rail
    - Fitted spreader bar plates to New LH rail
    - Fitted 18 body mount pads inside rails
    - Set frame in jig and matched rails in all dimensions
    - Fitted front crossmember
    - Modified rear crossmember centre section to accept 1940 style spring.
    - Boxing Plates Made
    - Rear Crossmember drilled to accomodate Exhaust

I delivered the Motor, Gearbox & Diff to him this week. It will now enable him to set up the Motor/Gearbox in it's position, Fit the Steering Box and set up the Centre Crossmember.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. parisian62

parisian62

Cool. Am enjoying the build Oz Rat. I'm subscribing to the thread.

Stewart

29. Frame's starting to look nice JT.

LS, excellent progress man, looks great !

Rat

30. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Thanks guys.. Have just been issued a surrogate Chassis number..so the car is legally recognised as a 1932 Ford now. good news. setting engine/gearbox in the chassis today!