Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My chopped n channeled '48 F-1 custom pickup build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fleet-master, Apr 21, 2013.

1. HILLBILLY'ED

HILLBILLY'ED

Here is a 52 F3 I built. Chopped 6".windshield raised 2 1/4", rear window left stock by raising it 2" and lowering it 4".

Attached Files:

2. Looks really good so far. You got some skills dude.....Kenneth.

3. jfrolka

jfrolka

I like the sounds of the this thread being renamed to be .... My chopped n channeled n sectioned '48 F-1 custom pickup build thread

4. I like this. Every man needs a truck. Had always thought Holden ute and tonner chassis would work great for this type of build. Chassis under my Hudson is off a #¥"§#! I think i need to get you up my way to get my speedster body happning.

5. fleet-master

fleet-master

hey there Jeff, how are you getting on with it?

6. fleet-master

fleet-master

Hillbillyed...that is RADICAL I like it!!

7. fleet-master

fleet-master

shot of the gusset structure which supports the fuel tank.It had seen better days..
    [​IMG]

I formed a new piece for across the back edge of it. It needed curved so I crimped it in my high-tech crimping machine and VOILA!!..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

brEad likes this.
  8. I havnt done anything for a week. Guy who died on Grey bar was a close friend. Only took him for a ride in Hudson two weeks ago. Used it for funeral on Saturday. He was a V8 BMW guy. Looked at 28 today, but will get back on it tomorrow.

9. fleet-master

fleet-master

I decideded to drop the whole caboodle on its wheels n get an idea of the all important 'stance'. The wheels i'm planning on running (so long as the front calipers don't foul) are the orig rims from my '57 Chev...bias plies n all!!Hopefully I'll pick up - ha ha excuse the pun! - some flapper type white walls for a bit o' bling

[​IMG]

left rear cab corner...zat low enough boss??

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
    chop job likes this.
  10. fleet-master

fleet-master

Sorry to hear that Jeff. You have my condolences . Thats a notorious bar to cross.I guess it can't be fixed or it woulda been done long ago.

11. fleet-master

fleet-master

I thought about sectioning the old boy (doesn't seem right to call a hard workin truck -the old girl:D) but when I sat in it and dropped the factory sun visor down I thought it was tight enough in there. I plan on using this thing a LOT when its done so may as well be comfortable...besides I already have a bad back! :p

12. Thanks. They stopped dredging it some years back, and its not as deep as it should be. Looks like your not mucking around with this build. At this rate, your,ll be done before October.

13. fleet-master

fleet-master

Well maybe they'll start dredging again one would hope ,eh Jeff.

Well heres another couple pics... R/H floorpan, surface rust only ..NOT!!

[​IMG]

I made up a new one..
    [​IMG]

and in she goes..
    [​IMG]

Floorpan in...dash out...!!
    [​IMG]

14. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I normally don't go for the chopped lowered stuff but I dig this. I admire your craftsmanship sir.

15. fleet-master

fleet-master

Thank you F-ONE . I'm real pleased how it's coming along!

16. fleet-master

fleet-master

Hey Jeff , the Holden ute and the Bonus 1/2 ton pickups have the same 114" wheelbase ...so that helps.

17. fleet-master

fleet-master

couple more pics. First the stucture under the fuel tank repaired and re-fitted..

[​IMG]

and with a couple coats zinc primer..
    [​IMG]

and a shot of the shifter. This piece was donated to the project by Hamber 5Wcoupe and after altering the mounting brackets to suit my application it's worked out pretty well. So a BIG thank you 5Wcoupe !! :):):)
    [​IMG]

As I mentioned ,the cab is pretty low...low enough to need a driveshaft tunnel fitted along with a new g/box cover. Yikes ..another job on the list!!

18. fleet-master

fleet-master

I'm looking for a pair of steel rear fenders for my ol' lorry too. If anybody has some -don't mind ones needing repairs) please PM me.

(I have 2 shippers here,both based out of SoCal- one with a depot in Sun Valley and the other in Compton)

19. The wheelbase being the same is a bonus. I have two sets of steel rear fenders. One set from mid twenties something, and a set of twenties Hudson that are on a trailer i just brought. Both sets mostly toast, but you could use em for patterns. Im pickin that yourd be after something more 40s ish? Floor looks great.

20. fleet-master

fleet-master

yeah Jeff I'm after some 48-52 fenders or poss some F100 ones although the earlier style guards could be of use on the '28 British Bedford I been workin on. Do you have any pics you could email through?

21. I cant send pics from my phone through email, but i can use my phone cam, and post em here for you. I will bang em through in the morning as it to dark now.

22. Subscribed, Nice fabrication.

23. fleet-master

fleet-master

thanks guys. I just picked up the engine for it this morning.:):)

24. Dont know what sized wheel was originally under this, but it would have been 20 plus. Pic of non Hudson fender.

Attached Files:

25. fleet-master

fleet-master

ok so these trucks are pretty much themain influences on where I'm heading with my truck..

I'm keen on the look of a healthy chop, prob 6in which combined with the channel will make it sit pretty low. I LOVE the Merc grille bars and fender trim on Hamber Chopped51's pickup..I would dearly love to find some for the project.

Attached Files:

26. fleet-master

fleet-master

Not taking anything away from the ones above...my favourite would have to be this 'un. Owned by Nick Cozzitorto ,it was customised by Gene W in the early 50s and reworked again a few years later. The pics are borrowed from the Kustomrama website on which there is plenty of info on not just this custom ,but HEAPS more!!

Attached Files:

27. farmer12

farmer12

Great fabrication, subscribed.

28. fleet-master

fleet-master

ok so with that said...hands up who thinks i can make these 47 Chevy sedan doors fit this 48 Ford cab??:D

[​IMG]

the curve isn't a hundred miles away vertically

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

but they're a tad short .
    [​IMG]

29. From what I´ve seen of your sheetmetall work so far that wouldn´t be any problem for you.Some stretching here and some tweeking there then you´r done. Keep it up.....Kenneth

30. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Lots of repair work. With the work you have done modding the body and doors to work shouldn't be too bad. Plus gives it a different look. Good luck. Be interesting to watch the transformation

Last edited: May 3, 2013