Register now to get rid of these ads!

My chevy put the fear in me

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by emlovesmercury49, Aug 11, 2010.

1. emlovesmercury49

emlovesmercury49

I have noticed that whenever I drive my chevy I start to think if my car is safe to be out on the road. My own car has put the fear in me :(. Has anyone ever had this problem? Where can I get her fully inspected to make sure she is safe to drive?

2. TERPU

TERPU

You own it. Learn to work on it, educate yourself buy some tools and ask questions of people who can fix a car and know what to check. Be appreciative of their time and knowledge and you'll be a smarter do it yourself much better person! I own an old Chevy, and have owned lots of old stuff. PM and I'll help you. Much of the fun of owning an old car is being able to fix it yourself, don't cut the joy short by being afraid to try.

Tim

3. gladeparkflyer

gladeparkflyer
    BANNED

brakes work? steering solid? wiring good? fuel leaks?... stop bein paranoid, it's a car! it's not gonna eat you in your sleep! :)

4. Muttley

Muttley

The only thing I worry about is some idiot running into me.

5. alex1954chevy

alex1954chevy

i tore my 54 apart. did and drivetrain swap, c notched the frame and redid my entire suspension, i rewired it too. the first few times i took it out. in the back of my mind i kept wondering if i over looked a nut or bolt or left a wire loose or something but that fear went away after i took it out on a few long trips.

6. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

It can be nerve wracking but that's why one should never mickey mouse around with brakes, suspensions, etc....etc....and always remember those old cars take a lot of maintence. It's not like a new car where you can drive it for miles and miles and not do any maintence. So that's important to remember
    Take care of your car and it will take care of you!

7. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I keep having the same fear about my wifes new Toyota.

8. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Same here!

Look it over completely and get to know it, Read up on and learn everything you can.

9. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Next time you're at an event, find the NSRA safety team, and have 'em give it a once over. Doesn't matter what you think of NSRA, the guys inspecting cars are serious, objective and have YOUR well being in mind.

Brian

10. I was a professional mechanic for 10 years, but never stopped working on my own cars. I have a degree in Automotive Engineering so I've been able to trust my own work all along.

When I first started working in shops, I was more nervous about working on other people's cars. Especially if I knew they had kids to drive around. I was lucky to work in one shop when I was 21 and learned a lot from the old timers.

For anyone else, that warm fuzzy feeling should come in time as you build yourself a reliable ride. If your area has an annual inspection, take advantage of it. Any reputable shop has their inspection license on the line every time they pass a car, so they're generally thorough and will flag anything unsafe, hopefully!

Bob

11. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

If you don't feel that you have the expertise to check out the car's safety yourself, I recommend bringing it to a shop that does have the expertise. For a couple hundred bucks (if that?) it would be money well spent.

12. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

You must have some friends that are into cars.

13. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

I've never met a hot rodder that wouldn't help if asked....
    Ask someone to check things out and explain your situation?

14. This is a have-to-have. We had one newbie we hung out with years ago with an OT Mustang. We helped him with everything from the 351 and 4-speed swap to making sure his front end and brakes were up to par. We rode in the car enough so we had a vested interest.

Bob

15. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

What is your fear exactly?

16. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

I never have really worried if anything I drive is safe. I do all that I can to make sure of that, but I do worry sometimes if it will take me back home. Some of these old parts can break when you are a long way from home. So far I have only had to come home on a wrecker 1 time. I was 50 miles from home in a 51 Chev when I noticed that a rod had come through the side of the oil pan.

17. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Try Groucho, here on the board. He has a shop called Groucho's Performance in Sun Valley, since I noticed you live in the Valley.

18. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Its been on the road for 60 years, what are you scared is gonna happen. Check your Brakes, Fuel lines, tires, suspension components and you should be golden.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

"safety tubes i aint scared , brakes are good tires fair"..(hot rod lincoln)

20. Fenders

Fenders

It's a good thing you "noticed" that.....

21. 53Crestline

53Crestline

Agreed. I f you don't think you have the know-how, people would be more than happy to help you out or certainly take it to a shop and have it checked over for piece of mind. If you're worried while you're driving it, then you're not enjoying it, which is what these 'ol girls were meant to be.

22. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

I can attest to this same fear that you're talking about. I'm almost done with the "get it on the road" phase of my first build. I don't really know anyone in my area that has the type of knowledge required to look it over save a car shop which will charge $90 an hour. I have one neighbor who tinkers with cars, but I believe that I now eclipse him in knowledge on the subject in matters not relating to the engine....and *especially* as it relates to my model of car. Unfortunately, I find myself to be an island in the area I live, in regards to both friends and colleagues :p

Honestly, I'd probably have to recruit ModelACitizen from North North Jersey or Tugmaster from up in CT to come down and give it the once over....I feel bad for asking folks to drive down :p

23. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

Yes it was easy to notice. Something about the noise and the oil all over the road. It did make the ride home a little longer, but the roll back did have A/C.
    Dynaflash

24. LAROKE

LAROKE

If you are afraid of your car, sell it to a hotrodder.

25. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

See if you can find a kind soul who will spend a weekend teaching you about these old beasts. Pull the tires, check the brakes and suspension. Pack the wheel bearings, look at the tire wear. A person who works on cars can often take a car for a short spin and learn a ton about it. Knowledge is the key.

26. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

To make an old car as safe as it can be for today's driving conditions:

Have both right and left outside rearview mirrors, in addition to the inside one,that are large enough to be usable.

Use a dual brake system master cylinder.

Add turn signals if you don't have them. Most drivers out there don't know what hand signals mean anymore, odd since there are so many bicyclists riders out there there should be a greater knowledge of hand signals rather than lesser.

Add seat belts for driver and all possible passengers.

Maintain a following distance that accounts for the much lesser stopping distance of modern cars so don't rearend some dink car and kill everyone aboard both vehicles if you all don't have seat belts.

Add a 3rd brake light, removeable for shows if you're ashamed of thinking of safety first, but use it for trips at least.

27. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Know all about your fears and aprehensions,my trucks been done for 2years and only went to local cruise nites etc. Bit the bullet labor day weekend and went 600+ miles roundtrip to a show in up state NY. Truck handeled like it was on a rail, ran like a swiss watch and got 20 mpg. Pay attention to details at assembly time ,double check everything,use grade 5&8 fasteners only,lock nuts, lock washers,cotterpins. You'll be fine, just get out and use that vehicle for it's intended purpose.

28. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

I think your car is unsafe and you should sell it to me. LOL

In all seriousness, I believe that if something is meant to happen it will. I have lost brakes before, blown shlt up, and all sorts of other "fun" stuff. It sucked and I did what I could to prevent it but it still happens.

Bottom line is, check out what you think you can, learn what you can and implement it. Look for rot or rust with anything that contains fluid.

If it looks shakey, then it probably is. Re do it.

These are old cars, you need extra time to stop them usually, you need to pay attention to what is out in front of you and take it easy.

You will get a feel for what your car is capable of. Take it to an open lot and play with it if you can to see what it can and cant do. Try to lock it up or come close at low speeds to see how good it stops. Learn your car.

(my bottom line is in the middle) WTF?

29. :rolleyes: Not just a hotrodder, a REAL hotrodder. :rolleyes:

As others are suggesting- do what it takes to get to a good comfort level. Call a couple of shops, briefly explain the situation, and ask for a quote for how much time and cost they think is reasonable to do it. Pick one and go with it. It should be worth it if it gets you feeling more comfortable with driving your car, and it should teach you (tell them you want to be involved in the inspection).

Another alternative is if someone or a group of someones here would help you out, maybe in exchange for a little get-together.

30. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put the fear in me...WTF does that mean? You may not know what fear really is when discussing old iron. I restore for a living. I get in some of these heaps for a test run or just to move em around to the yard. Fear? Oh my. Years ago we had a 38 out Chevy street rod in here once. Whoever built this car shoulda been whipped with rusty fender welt. I'm always amazed at the thousands of dollars in add ons all around and under the hood but the things that matter were done by some $20/hr ghetto shop. Then you point it out to em and they seem insulted. Now understand, I don't attack their car. I tell them like the enthusiast I am that they really should look at blah, blah and blah before they end up in trouble or hurt. Now if you're telling us you have a car with $10K in bling and $500 worth of craftsmanship, be scared. If it's just an old car that's been kept up and loved, be scared of all the rest of the people on the road who either hate you or are driving new junk.