Register now to get rid of these ads!

My brother brought home an Edsel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nowaxn5, Apr 30, 2009.

1. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

And his wife is pissed! Any Edsel lovers out there know of a good source for parts? The car is complete, but has some pitting and dinged up trim. His plans will piss off the restorer club as he's going chrome reverse on wide whites, bellflowers, slammed and unsure on paint as of now. The car is a nine passenger, 60 villager. 1 of 58 produced and supposedly only 1 of ten left.

Let the hate'n begin...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Good source for parts....HAHAHA You are kidding yourself. I had a '59 Villager and it took me 5 years to round up enough good parts. The '60 will be a real challenge to find anything for. Best bet would be to VERY carefully take all the pitted chrome parts off and have them replated. The wagon is basically a Ford under the sheetmetal, so thats a plus.

VERY cool find and will make a conversation piece anywhere you take it. Keep us posted on the progress.

Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

3. belair

belair

Whoa-that rear end stopped me cold!. But really a neat car. There was another 60 on here earleir in the week, not a SW. Only hate he's gonna get is at home. That's a cool find.

4. Neat!!! Now, the trick would be to get this and that '60 Edsel two-door that's on here, together! It's the same color, IIRC!

The '60 Edsel has the ugliest ass-end of nearly any car, though! It looks like they took four trailer lights and just stuck them on the back of the car. The stylists must've put together the '60 and said "Where the fu*k are the taillights? Quick, grab some!" - and there we are!

Cool ride, despite the ugly taillights!

5. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Looks to be all thar. All the Edsel parts most of the other stuff would be ford. Swap meets are full of good stuff.

6. vertible59

vertible59

Ever seen a '61 Plymouth from behind? Unfortunately I have...ugly sombitch blew my doors off!:D

7. greaser57

greaser57
    from minnesota

Leave it stock........Rich

8. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

I gotta agree, the tail lights look like an afterthought, Yuck. His plans are to get it done in time for the Detroit Autorama but as right now, I think his other half has a different idea!
    He wants to lose the lower side trim. What do you guys think?

9. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

Man, I dig it!

10. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Hey those taillights looked OK horizontal on the 47 studebaker.

[​IMG]

11. Squablow

Squablow

The swoopy lower side trim is clean and nice looking, I don't think you'll gain anything by shaving it off. I would keep the body and trim stock, repaint the car in a nice color, then do your lowering, wheels, and exhaust.

The 9 passenger '60 Edsel wagon is the rarest of all Edsels, it is the model of which the least were made. I don't have a problem seeing the car get a color change, a lowering, different wheels, ect. But if you're going to change all the trim around and customize it, you may as well start with a '60 Ford wagon, they're much more common.

12. Cool find! with the "gangs all here back seat"

13. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

Eastwood sells a nice trim hammer I use it as a dolly to take dents out of the trim.

14. S.F.

S.F.

That thing is bad ass, Ive never seen one , your luckey you still got all the trim on the tailgate .

15. SWEET!!!! I don't think I have ever seen one. I freaking love it, taillights and all. I would keep the lower trim, hell all the trim. That would make one really nice mild custom. Please, keep us posted, I would love to see it finished. The only Hate you get from me is because it isn't mine!!!!

16. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Taillights are similar as the car version. Hell, probably the same, and I think they look cool!

Never seen a '60 Edsel before, now I've seen 2 this week!

17. chop&drop

chop&drop

Neat find! The best thing about it is that it doesn't look like an Edsel.

18. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Funny you should mention trim repair. I'm getting ready to try my hand at some of my own stuff!

19. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

I had a 59 Ranger. I love Edsels and yours is one of the rare birds. If you shave it or customize it, you'll decrease the value radically. I'd venture to say that you'll lose about 80% of the restored value of that car. Might as well throw a winning lottery ticket in the toilet. Nothing wrong with lowering it and maybe some cool tires and wheels, but anything beyond that would be a travesty. Your car, do what you want, but I'd hate to see that think molested just for the sake of being unconventional or to piss off the purists. Hell, fix it up and sell it to a purist and use the proceeds to build something else. Just my .02

20. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

Cool for sure-i agree with Kreaturs I'd just lower it with some supremes and pinner whites

21. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

Find something else to screw up.

22. rixrex

rixrex

Wowee..where did you guys find that..nothing wrong with draggin home an Edsel, especially the rarest of the rare..I like that "you might as well throw away a winning lotto ticket" Yeah, try not to screw it up..achieve the look with wheels,tires,cut coils, but try not to mess with the rest of the car..you'll be able to send your kid to college on that car alone....

23. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I've only seen one other '60 Edsel besides this one and last week's sedan - also saw it on the Hamb - and it was a 2dr HT. Very cool cars! I can't see the pictures due to the filter at work but it sounds awesome. :D

24. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

In all honesty, that's about all the cutomizing that will be done. Nothing crazy, just some mild improvements. The stance in the front of this thing is horrible.
    He wants to two-tone it, white with a silver top, but I'm pushing for something a little less conservative. Anybody got any thoughts on color? (remember the mild custom idea!)

25. JOEHOODS

JOEHOODS

I AM THE ONE WITH THE 60 EDSEL .... {AND I THOUGHT MINE WAS A GOOD FIND!}:eek:

GOOD LUCK FINDING PARTS..

THERES A FELLA OUT HERE WHO IS A HARDCORE EDSEL MAN... HE WILL FIND YA WHAT YA NEED... BUT AT A PRICE... $$

KEEP ME POSTED ON THE PROGRESS

26. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

I think the car spent it's time in New York. He's only the second owner.

27. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

long rooofs rule....do what you want...screw everybody....don't be like the rest of the black shirt mafia.....BsM......

28. Django

Django
    from Chicago

OMG, a '60 Edsel wagon? Your brother is my new freakin' HERO!

I agree with not shaving any trim. Maybe do the roof in flakes and candies to really make it "custom" but not really doing anything that can't be undone should someone start throwing money at him to buy it. Supremes will be cool.

what parts does he need?

How's the interior.

Damn, that is awesome.

29. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Thats a dandy. And rare to boot. WOW! piss em off and do every thing to the utmost.

30. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Here is one of the factory's two tone deals.
    [​IMG]

Shame they didn't just use the Canadian trim on the rear.

[​IMG]
    Hard top was sweet.
    [​IMG]