Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Barn Find Buick 49 2dr Super Sedanette . Worth the wait.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mac_55, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Mac_55

Mac_55

Was going through the trunk and looked at Aparrently the Original Bumper Jack and Foot . I thought this lable on it was pretty neat , the camera didnt take a very good photo but the far right frame of the lable shows the rear of the car and the license plate reads 1949.[​IMG]

2. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

wow that sure is a beautiful buick , very nice car

3. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

Very nice score! That's going to be one fun cruiser.
    If you decide to "upgrade" the power later, think 425 nailhead! That thing would flat out fly.

4. Malarkey_BS 13

Malarkey_BS 13
    from Chicago

WOW! REALLY REALLY GOOD SCORE MAN!! I've always loved the sendanettes, great lines on these and a pretty smile to go along with it! I can say i am pretty jealous of you, im hoping my next ride to be a buick, and if i could find one the way you did i would maybe consider stop buying projects... probably not... but its nice to think about!

I just got my 59 Lincoln convertible from a barn type find http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=792887
    Good luck to ya! And Congrats!

5. Clevername

Clevername

Wow! What great condition -especially for an Illinois car.

6. camcb

camcb

SWEET! I love the lines of your new found prize. More pics please.

7. stevethepreacher

stevethepreacher

I wept tears looking at the posted pics of this beautiful Buick. What a find! I can't wait until you wash and buff it. More pics please!

8. Awesome score on the Buford!!.....it's like a time capsule resurected to live again!
    Ya just can't beet the G.M. sedanette/fleetline body style's....one of the best ever to come out of the Motor City back in the day.

9. Mac_55

Mac_55

Gave it a little bit of a scrub down today to lose some of the dust and dirt . Dropped a new battery in to see what electrical was working and what wasnt . I didnt try cranking it over . Since it has sat so long , i removed all the spark plugs and put some marvel in the cylinders and have been spinning it by hand a little here and there . Am going to attempt fire up tomorow .

She is still Wet in most of these pictures " wish it would stay that way " ha ha . Boone " my oldest son" in the camo shirt is the one who gets full credit for finding this car . I just provided the money :) , Anyways , here it is after knocking the dust down a bit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Mac_55

Mac_55

11. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Once ya go BLACK, you know the rest of the saying.

12. Bert.

Bert.

13. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

14. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Can we see under the hood? Purty Please?:D

15. its_a_nick

its_a_nick
    from Sweden

Nice find. Love those buicks. Got mine last year and been doing a bit of work to it. ImageUploadedByTJJ1366496322.835685.jpg
    Still alot of work to be done but its getting there.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

16. guitard

guitard

That's finer 'n a frog hair split three ways. GREAT car! The kid's a winner too. Lifetime subscriptions to four or five car mags should pacify him 'til he drives it to prom.

17. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mac, man! you are killing me with these latest pictures! I can't wait to see what it looks like when it is buffed out.

Enjoy the car man.

Thor

18. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Your car shined up nicely. I get good support from Bob's Automobilia in California if you need parts. http://bobsautomobilia.com/

19. 4444Design

4444Design

20. ausbuick

ausbuick

It scrubbed up nice buddy.
    Have you found any rust?
    Cheers Darren

21. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Wow!!! Get your buddy to do some spot repairs and rub it out by hand (It's not my car It's not my car It's not my car) That thing is gorgeous and you are one lucky dude! That shining jewel must have never seen a Midwest winter. I'm from Ohio, and was a bodyman there for 20 years. You hit a homerun here for sure! If you ever need a parking space for it, you just PM me. They should have a drool icon on here for finds like this 'un. If your son is 12, you have 4 years to make it prom worthy for him :)

22. Mac_55

Mac_55

Ill get a pic thisafternoon . She is dirty and greasy .

As for the rust question , The nose of the car stuck was uncovered and you can see the small amount of surface rust just beside the passenger side headlight . nothing through , just light surface. The worst are ont he car is on top of the cowl on the pass side just under the hood , by the trim tag . Its not through but it held water there and is rusty there , besides that , there is no body rust , bottoms of the doors look like new , inner and outer rockers look amazing with the floor pans as well. what sucks is the original rubber floor mat is like potatoe chips , if a knat lands on it , it cracks.

I fired the Engine last night . Soaked it in Marvel , dropped the starter and cleaned all the mouse nests out , poured a little fuel down its throat and it fired up . Just ran on the fuel in that i fed it but you could hardly hear it running , it was pretty neat.

The paint is poor , the pictures i showed were Wet , the old laquer is cracked in a few areas and im not sure how well it will accept a buffer . never tried to buff cracked paint.

23. Fantastic. Cleaning out the fuel lines or replacing? How are the brakes.? Switching to dual MC's?
    I'm thinkin' 2" lower. Love the car and you are one lucky SOB. Play the lottery! :)

24. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

You lucky dog you!!! Don't sweat the paint man. It's a true ser-viv-er!! Show it off and let folks know it. You've got to be happy with the chrome. What a find!!!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  25. Mac_55

Mac_55

Here is the underhood shot . Need to find an original air cleaner . You can see the rust on the cowl i talked about . That is the worst rust on the car right there .
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

26. realdeal32

realdeal32

Kudos to ya'! What a great find. Love dem Buicks!!

27. Man.........nice car. I saw several of those big old long & round, air
    cleaners at a swap meet near Tulsa, OK Saturday. One or two may have
    been like this one.....

Is one on ebay now, $150 or best offer.....seller in N Y. Find a Buick
    forum and check their "for sale" section.

[​IMG]

28. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Hey Mac,
    Any new updates on this car? How is it running?
    Hit it with the buffer and see what ya get. Very cool car!
    NRM

29. nice score!! thats badass sled! it'll be fun for the road trips. doesn't look like it needs much of anything cosmetically. its so rare to find something this nice in a barn, usually the insides are chewed up and full of rat shit. nice to find one like this, just means they're out there and there waitin for us!!!