Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features My barn find 57 Fairlane

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junior58, Jun 12, 2013.

1. junior58

junior58

Thought I'd share. This is my recently acquired 57 Fairlane 500 Town Victoria 4 door hardtop, extremely well optioned with 4 barrel 312 including factory dual exhaust, Fordamatic, power steering, power brakes, power windows, power seat, padded dash, centrally mounted boot lid radio antenna, drivers side spotlight/exterior mirror. This car was last tagged in NorCal in 1973, upon which time it was parked until discovered by a good friend of mine who found it in 2008 and shipped it back home to New Zealand. When found it was covered in such a thick layer of dust it was hard to tell what colour it was, but after a good clean up, its original Doeskin Tan and Colonial White were uncovered in remarkably good order but with patina coming out the wazoo. The motor was frozen and the rest of its mechanical condition was unknown, but more importantly it was found to be completely rust free, with all glass and stainless complete (other than drivers door glass cracked). Other than the addition of the smoothies and white walls, and a half coil out of the front springs, and the aforementioned clean up, the photos are as it was found. Upon it's return to NZ, with patience and sweet talking, the motor was freed up, carb kitted, water pump replaced and then fired up. The brakes and suspension have all been gone over and renewed to bring up to NZ roadworthy condition, trans fluid added and has now only just hit the road as a fully legal driver ready to clock up some miles. The motor is smoothing out the more it runs, and the trans has a fairly decent leak from the front that may require its removal for a front seal replacement, but everything else works and she drives like a dream. It's what could be classed as a twenty foot car (looks good from twenty feet away but up close, you can see some blemishes that you would expect of a car its age) but that's exactly how it's going to stay. Maybe at some stage in the future it may get new seat coverings but for now Mexican blankets are the order of the day (who knows, could stay that way too). It is a survivor, has a bit of tinkering still to be done, but I am the happiest man on the planet right now. Hope you guys like it.

Attached Files:

2. slammed

slammed

Nice car, good save on putting it back on the road!

3. teejay99

teejay99

Nice find ...I think the '57 4 door is one of the best looking of the 4 doors of that era and the 312 is a nice bonus .

T

4. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

That body style is awesome looking! Great find!

5. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

What great car! Congratulations on the find.

6. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

7. awesome love it when a 57 ford gets saved

8. thehazguy

thehazguy

9. 3 pedals

3 pedals
    from Ohio

Nice hardtop. I like the rear quarter window treatment/chrome door extensions and sleek roofline. Late 50's Fords are sharp.

10. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Killer car, lovely color

11. Jtg-3

Jtg-3
    from Huron Ohio

That is a sweet Fairlane, I had a 2 dr cheap sedan about 15 years ago , wasn't that nice (back then) You have a Nice find there ,,, Congrats, JT

12. junior58

junior58

Thanks guys, I count myself very lucky. I don't wana take the credit for it tho, it was my good buddy, Tony, who found her a bought her back to NZ. He also did all the work to get it to where it is now, I was just lucky enough to be able to take it off his hands. He ironed out the bugs to get it road legal and driving, all I did was get it registered and sent the plates to him so that he could give it a test drive before sticking it on the truck and sending it up to me. It has now done about 100 miles in 40 years. Coming up to the first weekend that I have owned, local club run on Friday night will be her first public showing.

Attached Files:

13. Learned to drive in a yellow Fairlane 500 like that.

14. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool car! 57 Fords are among the best of all Fords, IMO. And I'm not a Ford guy. :)

15. Helped my dad pic out the same color used one back in 61. Was different trim . Had the 312 4bbl. And when I drove it I hammered it. Great runner.
    Notorious for plugged oil returns . We added outside oilers.
    You may want to join this forum http://www.57fordsforever.com/

16. teejay99

teejay99

Looks like a minimum of rust in the pics ...might just need a real good clean up . I remember a neighbour having that exact car in a 2-door and the same yellow/white combo ...always thought it looked cool .

T

17. junior58

junior58

No rust in this baby, Teejay. Colours are Doeskin Tan/Colonial White.

18. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

'57s are my favorite Fords; my uncle used to drag race a brown and tan four-door hardtop in the '60s. Yours is sweet - and a true "power princess" with all those options. Do you have any history on the car? Couldn't find much online about Leduc Ford in Turlock.

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - nothing like some Doeskin Tan & Colonial White

20. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

The 4 door hardtops have a cool C-pillar...good luck with it ! (My Dad had a Blue & White '57 Fairlane 500 4 door sedan.)

Jonnie www.legends.thewwbc.net

21. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

22. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My first new car-----1957 Ford Fairlane 500 Post hardtop, all black with gold side trim, 312 T bird engine, Fordomatic---Total cost new $2475.00:D:D

Attached Files:

23. Sean

Sean

Nice score. I have a soft spot for those more doors. Here's a shot of mine.
    [​IMG]

24. junior58

junior58

Yeah, I've seen yours on here before Sean, love it.
    I have no history other than when it was last tagged then parked (for reasons unknown) for 35 years. Believed to be one owner car from Northern California, but that's unconfirmed. Has a CHP inspection sticker on the screen from 1972. Unfortunately can't do a title search from here so I guess I'll never really know.

25. teejay99

teejay99

Sorry about fumbling the colour ...looks like yellow at first glance ...my old eyes are deceiving me I guess .....still looks good .;) I got the white right !:p

T

26. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

VERY nice looking survivor!!

27. I can truly relate to your story. I'm a multi 57 owner and went to look at another one back in 2000. About the same story. Last tagged in 1976 and just parked. When I got there it was actually a 59 2d Ht. Aztec Gold and white. Still in the hands of the origonal Owner with Dealer papers to show including window sticker. It had 72K on the odometer and she had all the service records to back that up. I have since done a Bumper to Bumper rebuild without doing anything cosmetic except detail work. It now has 78K on it. When you get to your club run and others say they would like to have one like that, tell them you know where a 59 is that could be bought. These photo's were taken after it's first bath, not yet running. This car still has it's factory spare tire with the assembely line sticker still on it.
    The Wizzard

Attached Files:

28. Kinky6

Kinky6

Yeah, the '57 Ford 4 door hardtop is one of the best 4 door body designs ever, IMNSHO. ;)

I know that 4 doors get bagged on a lot, and many of them really are boring and lumpy looking compared to the 2 door versions, but some of them are just really well designed. Nice Score!

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

29. junior58

junior58

I been driving it a week now and am absolutely loving it. I love going into the garage and breathing in that rich old car smell, way better than new car smell. As expected for a car that hasn't driven in 40 years, there are some issues (all part of the ownership experience). I'm going to drop the trans this weekend and replace the front seal and I also have to check the engine out, not quite running on all 8. Don't think it's a piston problem cos it's not fuming or blowing oil or blue smoke, so may have valve problem so that's next on the hit list after pulling the trans. Lot's of tinkering to do to wake everything up after it's long slumber.

30. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Great car----don't think I ever saw a 4-dr hdtp before. I should mention there is a thread a few back on the list on how to wash it if you need to. Kidding.