Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My AV8 flathead build.. blown...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrodderhaag, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Can you fab a bracket and come off the front blower snout support?

Hard to see in this photo...sorry.

Attached Files:

2. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

It's possible yes . But the. I would have to figure out some type of spindle and bearing plus a pulley hub to bolt fan to.. I also still need to make a tensioner for the blower itself but I have a good design for that I think

3. 59ab

59ab

You are doing great! Makes me want to finsh my AV8.

4. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Well thanks to John ( choptop48) I got a complete f1 column for next to nothing. Ill use it as my donor shaft and column. I wanna stay with the box I already have rebuilt and fit in the frame . So I disassembled the one from John and began fitting the tube and shaft on the other box. Should have it all done tomorrow. And my drop bracket is going to be perfect height and angle. The box and column clear my engine with factory manifolds perfectly.. Next project will be fitting the 40' rear end in and the front brakes on

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Why have I not seen this thread until just now? This is such a killer build!!

6. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

This is exactly what I'm going for

7. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

i decided that im not splicing the shaft. i am going oull the shaft out of the other box and make sure its in good shape and ill jsut transplant it into my good box. i cant seem to find anyone to bore me out a sleeve so the shafts slide into it an are true.. s
    Also i ordered my 2 into 1 adapter for my stromberg 97's .. that will make em nice and high above the cowel. headed tonight to pick up my 46 rear from john.. then hopefully ill make it down south a lil to pick up my front brakes. i would like to be able to get radiator in and move it around soon.. still trying to figure out what to do for pedals......

8. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Picked up a new air compressor today along with this rear end..
    [​IMG]

9. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Picked up my front brakes and pedals from Dave last night .. Hell of a nice guy with an amazing collection of hotrods and parts... He really helped me out. Should get alot done this weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. brian55lvr

brian55lvr
    from ma

11. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Are they merc pedals?
    Ford seems to look different.

12. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Well I had a long afternoon in the garage ... Got the entire steering setup completed . It turned out great and everything works perfect .. I combined the two f1 boxes I had and made a complete one. Finish welded the flanges on it and got it all installed. I removed the entire mechanical brake setup, front hubs and backing plates... Waiting on my adapter kit to come for the 46 front plates and drums.... We pulled the rear end out and got the spring off it.. Time to build a spring spreader cause that was a Hairy situation the way we did it... But it worked ... Tomorrow is another day

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

It is possible . There is no part numbers on them.. I have been researching your suggestion of them being merc. Ill see what I come up with

14. rideordie

rideordie
    from Oregon

WOW really cool build!

15. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I finally got bolts long enough to get my steering column clamp together ... I went to Dave's last night and picked up another rear axle. 3:78 gears and some misc parts ... While I was down there he handed me 2 NOS bolts for the slant windshield cars that have the factory column drop. Thanks Dave . That will get rid if the modern looking Allen heads. . I'm building my spring spreader and hub puller tonight after we get back from all the Easter dinners with the family.... Hope I can get a rear End in. I think I may even move my motor forward a bit so I can put a mechanical fuel pump and stand on it. Ill have the rad clearance so why not..

[​IMG]

16. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

17. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The threaded rod trick, described elsewhere works great and is dirt cheap. My spring spreader was a PITA and completely useless when I went to the reverse eye spring. Its best to use SAE threaded rod from a commercial hardware and some graded nuts. Clamp spring with two C clamps > remove spring bolt > Put threaded rod in spring and run bolts tight > remove C clamps > loosen bolts. Reverse order going back in.

18. I've used big C clamps for ages and always had good success. Use care and sometimes wooden blocks come in handy to save damaging new paint. I've found that the bigger the clamp the better.

19. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I wanna stay away from disassembling my rear spring pack. I found a few good ideas for a spreader on here and ill have one fabbed up in no time . Actually I plan on making two, a good friend is in need of one also

20. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I found my fan solution. This will mount to a bracket off my Intake and run off the 3rd groove on my supercharger ... Perfect.

[​IMG]

21. jtm_elcamino

jtm_elcamino
    from Uvalde Tx

subscribed! Very cool build

22. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Great thread.Love the build.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

23. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Sat down and took some measurements To make my spring spreader and my hub puller ..

[​IMG]

24. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

i got my hub puller fabbed to day. along with 2 spring spreaders. these otta make it a cake walk putting my rear end back under the car

[​IMG]

25. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Four long hours of fighting to get old shackles out... The bore is kinda rough, but I think once I get new sleeves put in them they will be ok... Also the shock link balls are pitted. I may mill them off and drill and tap the faces to accept te thread in style replacement ball.

[​IMG]

26. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

That hub puller will do you a world of difference.. I spent hours getting all of mine off, and then encountered this one that just wouldn't budge. I spent too many hours fighting it before I decided to buy one off eBay and within the five minutes it took me to open the package, stick it on the hub, and twist the bolt some, it popped right off.

I felt stupid for all of those hours fighting the others.

27. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I got the old spring bushings out of the hangers ... That was a pain in the ass. Got em all ground up and on for fit. After chipping away at 70 years of grease, I found the torque tube flange bolts and got it separated .. Waiting on shackles and bushings to put the rear in the car and get the tube and shaft cut to size

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

need some advice.. since my car has a lot of patina, what color should i do my wheels.. black?? red oxide primer? any ideas help

29. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

Nice build. On small stuff, I like Rust-Oleum rattle can rust reformer black.

Jack E/NJ

30. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

any black will do... please no red