Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects my attempt at a '54 Merc

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by grower54, Dec 26, 2016.

1. grower54

grower54

2. You might check out the 52-59 Ford social group,there are a few mercury guys there and the Fords & Merc's have a lot in common HRP

3. Squablow

Squablow

I think Granada spindles are supposed to bolt into the '54 and give disk brakes plus like an inch and a half lowering as well. It requires reaming out a ball joint hole (if I remember correctly) but is supposed to be pretty straightforward. Another cheap junkyard swap if you can find them, just something to think about.

I'd be worried about wheel clearance with the Mustang stuff. Those Mustangs all seem like they have a front-wheel-drive looking wheel offset to them.

4. Grower: Man, it looks like you got yourself a very good car to start with. Love your work and ideas. Can you get new front and rear glass for it? It won't take much body work, your way ahead. Tim

5. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Hi Brian ,
    I will send you a PM.

We found front glass for about 300'00

6. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

Chavezk21 likes this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

cheap & easy is always good - great body style

8. grower54

grower54

Ted, that is perfect!!

CowboyTed likes this.
  9. grower54

grower54

Tim. I do have the side glasses and the rear glass. The thing that is stopping me from doing a chop is the front and rear glass. Cutting the laminated curved front glass seems do-able according
    to many on the HAMB. The rear tempered glass is the big problem. I hate the idea of sinking the glass into the trunk. I thought i read something about somebody making rear laminated glass but its expensive. Im on a tight budget here so buying a rear glass and having it cut down by someone who won't guarantee that it won't break, is a scary thought.
    Sam, $300 for a front glass is a great price! Sucks that by the time i get it up here its about $600 Canadian. Anybody got a source for glass in southern Ontario?

10. grower54

grower54

southcross, what is he asking for that y-block?

11. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Don still has the Y block and auto that we pulled from his Merc if you want to go that way.

12. southcross2631

southcross2631

Growler54. I will call him today and PM you.

13. grower54

grower54

hey '39, stealing your ideas already!! IMG_3259.JPG

Kiwi_Pete and biggeorge like this.
  14. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

EZ to do the 5.0 swap: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/media/albums/289-302-351w-swap-mounts.41498/ HEDMAN 88400 headers will go in no mods too ;)

15. grower54

grower54

thanks Jeff!! the part numbers on the engine mounts were exactly what i needed!
    Big week in the Phoenix area. Some friends of mine are in scottsdale on business (and a little Barrett Jackson) this week. I HATE THEM ALL FOR LEAVING ME HERE!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Torchie

Torchie

Some of the replacement rear glass coming from offshore is now laminated so you an cut it.
    With that style of roof line you could get a 3 inch chop without cutting the rear glass or sinking it. You would cut around the rear window and cat walk and slide the whole thing forward to meet the lowered roof leaving the rear window intact. Or if you wanted you could also lean the rear window somewhat to meet the lowered roof and then form a lexan rear window that fits the newly shaped rear opening.
    Torchie

17. grower54

grower54

yah Torchie, i think I will go with a laminated rear. I like the idea of keeping the glass upright and just sliding it forward but the rear is going to have to be chopped down at least 5 1/2". Besides, I love the look of some lean forward in the rear glass.
    Lexan just seems like a very expensive option.

18. This is cool, good work on saving a 50's auto. And cutting up a Mustang:D:D:p

19. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

grower54...
    The '54 Merc is one of my all-time favorites ! The work you've done on it so far is cool...as will be the entire project when you're finished.

Best of luck from one of your friends "down here" in the Great 48 !
    Jonnie
    www.legends.thewwbc.net

20. grower54

grower54

thanks Jonnie and leadfoot! This is my first fifties car and I'm loving working on it. Lots of small differences from the late 60's cars that I've done. Tons of great info from all you HAMBers!

biggeorge likes this.
  21. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Hey that's great! One of the greatest complements a car guy can get is to have one of his ideas copied. Wish I could take credit for that one but is my Buddy Don's idea.

22. When I was a younger lad my father owned a butternut yellow '54 mercury Montclair. Not a great build but it wasn't the worst thing in the world. Forgive me for getting off topic Brian but one of your Wenatchee friends wouldn't happen to be Marlin Lannoye would it?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Keep up the good work on a forgotten car.

24. mike bowling

mike bowling

That's a real nice start you've got going! ( doesn't look like an "attempt" to me; you're rockin' that bitch!)
    That body looks SOLID for the most part- nice find. Really like the tail light treatment.
    I've had 2 cars with 302's (if you go that way)- good motors.
    Good luck, be safe (?), have fun

25. Nice build. Those mercs have such a nice body style

26. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

If your comment was intended for me,yes Marlin is a good friend. He is a great guy and a deserved Hall of Fame'r here in the Northwest.

Sam Profit

27. Yes indeed Sam it was. I too am good friends with Marlin. I attend the Wings and Wheels show in east Wenatchee each October. You might have seen me or my F-100 there.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. grower54

grower54

so, after a little break because that nasty four letter word, "work" got in the way, I get to play with my toys again!
    With a little digging on the HAMB I found how easy it is to drop the 5.0L into the '54.
    A little bit of grinding.... IMG_3351.JPG

29. grower54

grower54

30. grower54

grower54

slipped right in no problem with the original motor mounts IMG_3363.JPG

biggeorge and 48fordnut like this.