Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My Apache...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shane Spencer, Sep 15, 2012.

1. dubie

dubie

I just finished building a house and believe me, it takes A LOT out of you physically, financially and mentally. But it's all worth it in the end.

2. 1959apache

1959apache

you should consider building the shop first and make a small living area out of the office with a shower, enough room for a bed, tv, and computer while you build your house. A buddy of mine did that while he redid an old stagecoach stop in the middle of Nevada and converted it into a pretty nice home.

3. n847

n847

^^^^^^^^^When my wife gets sick of me and kicks me to the curb this is how I'm gonna live...except for the house building part!

4. Buzznut

Buzznut

I've often thought about doing this myself...building an upstairs unit that can always double as "the couch" later in life when your wife kicks you out of the bedroom.

5. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Yeah, in a way im kinda glad im takin a break from it. I just went balls out every day after work for almost a year. Plus my shop is 25 minutes away right now. It just got tiring. Traffic is crazy as hell down and back. I just need a breather. and the living space in the shop is a great idea... i can dig it

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

6. Buzznut

Buzznut

You were making some awesome progress. As long as you come back to it, no harm, no foul. Enjoy the break...Mine will be on the road shortly and I know I'm looking forward to having some spare time again here soon. Maybe I will have the time to find myself a woman...

7. 1959apache

1959apache

By woman do you mean another project car?

They seem to sneak into your garage when you are not looking..

:D:D:D

let's be honest. It really wouldn't be punishment for us if we had to sleep out in the garage. That sounds like a great idea... my wife has been hounding me to put a sink and stuff in the garage anyway.. might as well get carried away

8. sqrlnts

sqrlnts

Good luck on your house Green!

9. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Lol finding a woman isnt hard. Its finding a good one to keep !

10. 1959apache

1959apache

Listen to you Mr FancyPants

11. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Shit man, i havent found one to hang on to yet!

12. Buzznut

Buzznut

AGREED! The problem with me is having this ideal woman in mind and knowing she doesn't exist. You know, a combination of the best parts of Kate Beckinsale, June Cleaver, Shania Twain and Gabriela Sabatini with a sprinkling of Jennifer Love Hewitt, a dash of Ashley Force and an extra helping of Joan Severence.

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  13. RamJet1

RamJet1

We built the 30 x 50 shop before the house, but didn't have to live in it. I could have, but not the wife. We used it as storage to stop the raping we were getting.
    Congrats on the progress at such a young age, well done!

Looking forward to your build when you return to it.

14. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Well the hardware store that i rent my shop from caught fire today. Its a nice community hardware store. Everyone was ok from what we know. Whole store is ruined. The yard behind the store was unharmed along with the sand, hay, rock, and other various products they sell. The 25 x 20 shops where my truck and other peoples projects are were unharmed. Today sucked big time. But again, everyone was ok, and thats all that matters

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. shadams

shadams

Shit man that sucks. Glad everyone and your truck are ok though....coulda been worse.

16. 1959apache

1959apache

Glad everything is okay, that is what insurance is for. I am really glad your pickup wasn't destroyed, especially with all of that work you have done to it.

17. dubie

dubie

The important thing is, everyone is ok. Everything can be replaced, except the human life.

18. mt94ss

mt94ss

Wow. Brings some perspective. Still, glad that the truck and other's cars are OK.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. Buzznut

Buzznut

Close call there...glad it all turned out. I was hoping to see an update... Keep us posted.

20. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Yeah everyones ok which is awesome because the fire was pretty gnarly when it started. Hopefully we can start helping with the cleanup this weekend

21. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Wow Shane, that sucks.. glad everyone is ok!

22. awsome pictures!

23. 1959apache

1959apache

Lol. This guy ^^

24. Buzznut

Buzznut

lol x 2

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  25. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Siiiick man, I love it!!

26. Brog

Brog

Damn man fire, some crazy shit.

27. Buzznut

Buzznut

Anything new with the pickup?

28. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

not a whole lot. its sittin in the back of the shop right now. I may pull the motor and go through it soon. I need to get the double hump heads and the 3x2 setup properly. its all sittin at the shop, I just need to get an intake manifold and get after it. also I may go through the Muncie with a full rebuild kit just for peace of mind. been busy as hell with two jobs though. ive been workin on my daily driver a little too so that's takin up most of the time. ill get back at it soon tho

29. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

So im having thoughts about a winter project........ this will be as much about the fabrication challenge as it will be making progress on the truck. I may fab an entirely new frame. My buddy can get great deals on steel, and I only have about 90 bucks into the step notch on my current frame so its not like im losing much of anything. The issues I have with the current frame are this, its got some decent pits in it and is pretty thin in spots, truck wont be a drag vehicle or anything but i am worried about flex a lot with a hot small block and a muncie. It flexes quite a bit right now and will need to be boxed most likely. The camaro clip that was put on was done solid, but its not as nicely finished as id like and it will need a total rebuild. My buddy convinced me to do the step notch bridge in pipe, and I really regret doing it. I will do tubing on the new one. I didnt really research it before using the pipe. Dumb as hell on my part. Also I posted earlier in the build about the frame being 1/4 inch lower on one side in the rear. Not really worried about that too much but its obviously flexed some already. And I really would rather have the rack and pinion front end. The con of doing a new frame is the cost, but factoring in the rebuild on the camaro clip, setting up a mustang ii on a new frame seems like a decent option. The pros of having a new frame would be the improved strength, rack and pinion steering, and I can improve on my rear design some. Plus ill have a brand new, bitchin clean frame and no need to sandblast which also saves some coin. I really wanna put my time into a nice fabrication project this winter . Thoughts boys !?!?!?!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. Buzznut

Buzznut

If you can afford the steel and have the time, I say go for it. All the pros make sense...all the cons do too, but the old frame with a so so clip job is always going to bug you. I know you have the welding skills and the welding rig. Make sure you include a provision for a front sway bar set-up. Cool thing will be having a clean frame that you could even powder coat if you wanted to.