Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My "accidental family car" Project '56 buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nailhead dodge roadster, Nov 20, 2010.

1. So I just got word that I am going to be a father in a few short months, so with this in mind I am scrapping my '69 barracuda drag race project to make room for a car I bought back in '99 as a future "oops, I've family now car" in case I got surprise phone call from of the girls I knew at the time (I wasn't very "safe" back then if you know what I mean).

Well this wasn't an oops moment, but I am glad I kept the car in storage all this time. It is a 1956 Buick century 4-door hard top (no post). At the time it was rust free, missing the front wind shield, bumper and interior, and had a locked up 322 nailhead. I haven't seen the car in about 5 years, as it is in North Idaho and I am now down in the pheonix az area. I am planning a road trip in the spring to go get it and bring it back home so I can get to work on it. Nothing to crazy planned, I am picking up a running '62 wildcat with a 401 nailhead/400 trans combo for a couple few hundred dollars which should have enough parts to help get rid of the torque tube and original rear end in the '56. I need to find a grill, and most of the interior pieces and parts. Start with a basic and SAFE "under construction" cruser with room for the kiddo and kiddo supplies.

I am very open for suggestions and direction...or just an inspiring picture or two.

Again, its been 5 years since I've been to the car, so pictures will be posted as soon as I can get someone over to take a few for me.

2. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

401 swap is a great idea....those old GM 4dr hdtps are neat-looking and the extra power will get you down the road in fine fettle. Any parts you need can probably be found by perusing the appropriate (Buick) pages in Hemmings Motor News. Just take it a bit closer to the ground all around, play around with wheel ideas, keeping in mind that whitewall tires are 'de rigeur' for your new boat. I always like deepdish chrome reverse wheels on them old Bufords.

good luck - nice project

dj

3. missysdad1

missysdad1

Not a '56, nor a 4-door nor a hardtop, but hopefully my '55 will give you some ideas and some encouragement.

Good luck!

[​IMG]

4. jonly

jonly

congrats on the incoming baby! that's a whole new project in and of itself.

you'll have to describe the different way you approach a rebuild with a newborn passenger to consider.

we're pretty paranoid in my house. the kids don't travel in anything but the 2007 buick due to airblags, ABS, traction control, etc.

5. outcast13

outcast13

Both my 55 and my 58 more doors I have. The 55 still has real good power for only the 322 in it. Good luck with yours

Attached Files:

6. robertsregal

robertsregal

Congratulations and welcome to the H.A.M.B. lots of great info here, try the web site jaxed mash you can look for parts and or cars nation wide. The people I've dealt with have been a ok. And yes LOVE those old Buicks!!!!

7. Looking back through past posts, throwing in updates where I can. Unfortunetly we lost the baby shortly after the original post here in Nov '10. Things happen for a reason blah blah and all of that. Which led me to get out of the garage for a while and focus on family, my current carrer move (military decided it was time to change jobs on me) and a big move back up to Washington state.

So, all that aside, this current project is back out behind the cabin in idaho, awaiting its turn again down the road....possibly get a winter start if we get into a house in WA.
    Not much to update here, so i'll end it with that.
    Eli

8. BadMotorFinger

BadMotorFinger

Sorry to hear about your loss man.
    These things do happen, been there.

I'm shure that the family car will get finished someday and that Buick will be one hell of a ride for you, your wife and baby.

Good luck man!

9. Squablow has excellent tech posts on converting a moredoor to a fancy 2 door... http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=608094

However the GM's 4 door hardtops have a different roof than the 2 door hardtops and 4 door hardtops are way cool especially for a family.