Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My 63 impala 409 finally begins its rebirth...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tony, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Tony

Tony

Lewk,
    Thanks! There are a couple threads covering the build of the 62 on here. I wasnt smart enough at the time to just do one. Lol
    Your cars a nice!! The 62 reminds me of one of the 63's i had. 50k original mile, 283 glide, black with red interior and about a new as one could be.
    And your 63 is just like a barn find 63 SS 327 4 speed i had.
    Cool stuff!

Brian, thanks!!
    I was going to ask Bob about a pan at the swap meet in March but i'll call him instead..just have to find his number.
    And now im going to have to find out where to get that calendar!
    I had no clue it was in anything, and dont even know where a pic of it would have been taken...but now i gotta have one. Hahaha

Tony

2. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

3. Tony

Tony

Nice project Joe!!
    New or not, you'll do fine. Just take your time and you'll see it's no major thing.
    Get's a little involved when you have to replace inner rockers etc, but pans and braces are not bad.
    If you have to remove the old floors from the car though, my advice would be to invest in a quality set of spot weld drill's.
    They are priceless when replacing sheet metal panels that were originally spot welded in place.....like floor pans and braces :)

Tony

4. bigpokie

bigpokie

I'm with skidder !! As soon as the garage stop acting like a meat locker !! Can you get a picture of how you finished your inner rocker panels to the bottom of of the cowl by the toe board. I'm hung up there and could use the picture for a reference.

5. Tony

Tony

These are the only pics i took of those area's.
    The pass side inner cowl was perfect, driver side not so much.
    So i rebuilt that side as it was from GM, then the inner's just set in place after and i welded em up.

Tony
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

6. i always enjoy your threads man.as always nice job!

7. BSL409

BSL409

8. Tony

Tony

Glendale, thank you!
    And Brian thank you too! I have to get one of those somehow! It's cool to see it in a calendar. Haha

Tony

9. Tony

Tony

Havent posted anything because i just dont think rust repair is very interesting. Lol
    But it is getting closer.
    The trunk pan is in, just need to get and hang the left lower quarter and the main body is ready for blasting.. Then on to body work.
    It kills me how this car rusted. After getting the trunk floor and drop offs off the car, i took a pic of the inner pass quarter. Its perfect. Even the rear tailpan where the trunk floor attaches is perfect.
    Floors were trashed but aside from the left lower quarter the rest ofthe body is super nice.
    Damp floor storage and mice. :(
    I'll blast the complete body and all the chassis parts/frame at the same time.
    I'll probably put the whole chassis together before i start on the body though. I'll just get the sheet metal in etch primer after i blast it.

Tony

kidcampbell71, blowby and loudbang like this.
  10. pitman

pitman

Ya know, doing the rust work on an A or B Ford, is like a walk-in-the-park compared to this job!
    Appreciate the pictures Tony, so I can see how it should be done. :eek:

11. Tony

Tony

Pitman, i can say first hand i agree! Lol
    The lower 5 inches or so on my 32 was gone, literally..but putting that back together was a lot easier than this just because i really dont want this to look like it was ever touched.
    Still enjoy doing it though for some extremely odd reason. :)
    Dont know if this is how it should be done but im trying. Haha
    Thanks man!

Tony

12. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

Great work! :)

I've always liked the 63's

13. models916

models916

Muncie is correct for mid year change.

14. Tony

Tony

Yep. I had an early 63 T10 car before my 62..

15. Tony

Tony

Been tied up on a sidejob so havent touched this for weeks but was able to get back at it a couple days ago.
    The main body is all back together and ready for blasting.

Probably be blasting it along with the frame and hopefully the other body panels in June so i can get at chassis assemblyand body work.
    Im just happy its no longer a rusty pile of shit.
    I also scored a set of original 14x6 409 steel wheels off here for it. I plan to run the stock poverty caps most of the time but have a couple other sets of wheels to swap out when im bored

Tony

loudbang likes this.
  16. Tony

Tony

Been a while since i've really done much to this thing, but finally was able to get a little more done over the long weekend.
    Rented a blaster and cleaned everything up.
    The car is finally one piece again and is just about ready for etch prime and seam sealing.....

Tony

image.jpg

saltflats and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. Had a 62 Impala, 6/glide and converted it to a 409/409. Ran like a scared rabbit. Sold it for my first 40 coupe. I also have a soft spot for 63s - great work so far ... I'll be watching. Keep up the great work!

18. Wow. Car rules ... but how about that Darth Vader suit ? Never knew you could rent the whole rig, but ..... probably not as lucky here. You do excellent work sir. That Impala is gonna' love you good.

19. slowmotion

slowmotion

As an X-frame fan, I'm all over this. Thanks for documenting and posting how it's done. Very nice work.
    Had a couple of '62s over the years, one was a bubble. Always liked the whole lot of 'em.

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

wow, that's neat Tony. Every time I look at a thread like this, I think "so many great cars, so little time and garage space".:(

21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I like your body dolly roll over stand.
    I made one like that when I did a floor pan job on a Camaro.

22. Tony

Tony

Thanks fellas. Its been a fun project for me even with all the dirty shitty stuff with it having a little deeper meaning than just a car for me.
    Kidcampell, that darth vader helmet saved my ass this weekend!
    The hose on the back of it feeds filtered air into the helmet via the shop air comp.
    it feeds through a filter set up.
    Anyway, its been about 90 degrees and humid all weekend and the goofy thing made it possible. Haha

Normally we'd wear a tyvek suit etc but it was just too damn hot.
    The rental company supplied us with it.

Heres a couple i didnt post before.
    Tony
    image.jpg image.jpg

23. -Brent-

-Brent-

Great car. One of my all time favorites. Looks like a great save. Will this be a keeper?

24. Tony

Tony

Thanks Brent.
    Yes this is a true keeper. My pops ordered a new one, same color combo, non SS just like this but a 327-300 4 speed.
    I heard tons of stories about that car growing up and wanted one just like it.
    Only difference is this is a real 409 car but otherwise about identical.
    It'll technically be my car, but im giving it to him when its done.
    He can enjoy it and hopefully bring back some good memories for him because the last few years have a been a bit rough for him.
    When the day comes he either dont want it or get to an age where he cant enjoy it, i'll take it back and just take him out in it.
    So, it wont be going anywhere.

Tony

glendale, loudbang, bowie and 3 others like this.
  25. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

It looks like it's coming along really well!

26. @Tony just to be sure that we understand each other and that there is no misunderstanding, I fuckin hate you!!!!! :D :D :D

Cool project my friend, if there is something that you cannot find to make it right let me know I'll dig deep and help you get it. I probably don't have it but I'll bet I can find someone who does.

Oh did I mention how jealous I was? ;)

27. Tony

Tony

Benno i feel loved! Hahahaha
    Thanks man, i really appreciate the offer to help if ya can!
    I'm pretty sure i got's everything, buuut, ya never know.
    So thank you!!

Tony

Ps: did you look at the pics of what i started with?? Dont be too jealous ;)

28. I did. My last early '60s X frame was so bad you could see what was on the other side of it. :D The I missus came home from work and walked around it and smiled, then said, "well jack it up and lets take a look," so I did we rolled under it and she said, "well the frame is solid lets throw a motor in it and drive it."

I noticed the front floor board folded up into the back seat and thought well Tony broke it damned shame. :D

29. Tony

Tony

Hahaha i definitely broke it!
    And quite the misses you have, i can tell i like her already!
    "Frame is solid lets throw a motor in it and drive it"
    Man thats perfect!!

30. She's been about that perfect since the day we met. Damn that was about a lifetime ago. ;)