Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '63 Galaxie update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dorksrock, Feb 26, 2013.

1. dorksrock

dorksrock

Some of you folks might remember about two years ago I picked up a 1963 Galaxie 500 that was in the family and sat in the barn for 30-some-odd years. But never included any updates! So I may as well fill you guys in... Also the original can be found here: Http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=590572

When I picked it up...
    [​IMG]

I had gotten the original engine running again with a little help, had to clean out the gas tank, replace the fuel pump, and some carb tuning and timing to get her to play nice again. I cruised quite a bit during the summer of 2011 with the original engine in her. But it burned a lotta oil, and you could tell she was tired. I also found a set of Cragar SS wheels at a swap meet for $50 that I blasted and painted and put rubber on. Flipped the rear shackles for a little more raise in the rear, and took off the exhaust and ran a set of cheap cherry bombs and turndowns right before the rear axle. When I got it it also had a smashed driver rear door. I found another in a salvage yard, cleaned it up, swapped glass and door panels and painted as close as I could to match. Didnt come out too bad!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plus she was a greasy pig... So I Figured it was time to repower. I bought another 352FE engine that I was planning on rebuilding for $150... Started tearing it apart and it was super clean! turns out it was rebuilt with 0.060 over pistons and plastigauged the bearings and everything was right on spec. So I dropped a Lunati cam into her, a new oil pump and drive, and a few other goodies, cleaned it up, and put new gaskets on. Broke the cam in and she runs really nice with plenty of snoot with about 10.1 compression, an autolite 4100, a factory cast intake, 68 390 heads, and about 13* of inital advanced timing and 2* advanced cam...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Was super happy with the results and she ran like a dream! started cruising last spring with the car, but still wanted a bit more get out of the hole power so I found a 9" center section with some 3.70 gears and swapped them out. Thats how the car sits for now...

[​IMG]
    (cruising with my friend and his OT 92 383 powered Camaro)

[​IMG]

Plus you have to love the original interior!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Im trying to focus on my other project now though...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lukey

lukey

That's cool, my first ride when I was 16 was a 63 galaxie 500. Had a 390/c6...loved that ride.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. kingdesgn

kingdesgn

Nice car! Enjoy!