Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 62 Comet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fordguy321, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

Heres my 62 mercury comet fordor. figured id share what i got goin on at the moment. bought it back in may and finally started working on it last week, so ive been goin through it for a week and a half now. the motor was knockin, replaced with a 66 200ci. gone through front to rear. started driving it last saturday. been drivin to work seeing was goona break doen on me. so far tailshaft housing leaking. repaired it, then last night flooded out, adjusted float. its got the 3spd. probably gonna update driveline sometime. but for now its a cruiser. wanted to drive it to Hootenany this weekend, still dterming that decision. let me know what you think! hate it or like it?:)

Attached Files:

2. H3O

H3O

cut a 1-1 1/4 coils on each side and three inch blocks and it'll look even better. did that with my falcon, still not low enough for me tho. flake the roof, too. nice ride man.

3. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

i like it. i had one. baby blue, 2 spd auto, 4 door, 144 i6, radio delete. good little car. i'd like another. or, a wagon. mmm, comet wagon...

4. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

Great cruiser. Suggestions? Dark color, lowered, wide whites, skirts, dual rear fender mount antennas, optional flaked roof/pinstriping. Very cool.

-KK

5. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

yeh lowering it a bit is on the bottom of the to do list. i was just gonna do 2 inch blocks and cut a coil. but for now im just gettin this thing road worthy. right now the driveshaft is rubbin against the parking brake cable. the trans mount is sagging thats what im huntin for now. oh and i ordered a aluminum radiator on evilbay. from there lack of communication im not confident ill have it before the trip!

6. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I notice your profile says Az. Phoenix, maybe? Did I see you last night heading down Third street south of Thomas about say 8:15 or so?

7. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

I grew up in one of those. Dad bought it new in 1962, drove it until it dropped and got towed to the junk yard around 1975. A one owner.

8. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

LOL, no. at 815 i was replacing starter and cables. then about 11 last night i was broke down in hooters parking lot! LMAO

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Might be wrong on time, yesterday was super busy so it was kinda' a blur. You weren't at the downtown Hooters last night? I saw a real nice '62 or '63 Comet coming home from Mcdonalds downtown last night. thought it might be yours.

10. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

we have a 62 S22 Comet at the shop thats for sell....runs and drives, needs some love. 144 and 3 on the tree. But I'm not posting an add here , just sharing the S22 .

11. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

NICE! us comet drivers must get hungry at the same time then! LOL. nope that one went to downtown and i went to the one in peoria. i havent seen anybody else drivin one around here. saw one identical to mine at Ink-n-Iron. keep an eye out you might spot me sometime! :D

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Cool man- Just thought it was a little coincidental that I saw an older car I'd never seen before, and then your post. I'm downtown, and putting together a '62 Ranchero for my girlfriend, and have had a '62 Futura for ever. If ya need any thing you can't find let me know - I might have it.

13. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

Sweet thanks man!

14. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

I took the thing out for a drive last night, after installing a new water pump. it kinda looked wet. so i just replaced it. once i got it apart and could look straight in there i saw that the t stat bolt was dripping. then put about 160 miles on it last night, thing runs about 3/4 on temp guage.driving on street stays 1/2, ive already flushed the motor out. pulled freeze plugs and all. neew pump and t stat. only thing left is the rad. which doesnt look healthy on the inside. but im still waitng for the new one i ordered last week. so not gonna worry bout it till then. although i dont no if i should attempt roadtrip with it runnnin that high. id be sweatin it the whole way! or is it normal for these to run 3/4 on guage at hwy speed?

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Dude - it was a hundred and five out last night... Three quarters on the guage is not too unusual for these cars.

16. H3O

H3O

just get a 3 core from vatozone. it's about $150 and will fit.

sounds like you might have an air bubble at the thermostat. had that with the falcon and runs cool now. just take off the cap when it's cool and wait for the thermostat to open and get rid of the air if you have any. still needs to be lowered!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

yeh that had crossed my mind when i drove by a sign that read 100F. i was kinda thinkin it was normal. im not concerned about it

18. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

true! i was thinking that maybe had a air pocket stuck in there, since i had just put the pump on. but my experience with those is the engine just boils over till you get all air out. maybe ill try and burp it again. just to see........ and yeh lowering it soon. not in a rush though its nice cruisin over speed bumps and running off curbs! LOL since both my other vehicles are lowered and scrapin and boucin all over the place!

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

If you decide to go the new radiator route, we have a place in town where you can get a good quality three row even a bit cheaper. Hawk radiator up on Cave Creek road stocks them.

20. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

the guy i bought the engine from gave me the brand new radiator outa the mustang. its to thick and hits my fan. but the one i ordered off e bay taking week and a half an they finally responed back and say they have to get it from manufacture still! WTF why did it say available on page if you dont have it! well whatever that doesnt matter now cuz the accel pump leaks! dang it!!. its got a new diaphram. put another one inn there.still leaked. checked with a straight edge the acc cover is warped. maybe theres somethin i dont know. usually ne diaphrams fixed that prob for me. noticed it dripping when i was replacing exhaust manifold last night. nice and quiet now!:) too bad it leaks:mad: LOL

Attached Files:

21. bigflatblack

bigflatblack

my comet!! Yours is looking good!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

bigflat- what did you do to get it so low?

23. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

SWEET!!! BIGFLATBAK! yeh i ordered some new u bolts to put my blocks in. should be on the way! get the blocks in and trim the coils!

24. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

oh and i got that aluminum radiator. put it in last night. took it for a spin on 101 quage doesnt go past 1/2 now!

25. bigflatblack

bigflatblack

i took a leaf out of each pack...and then blocked it...make sure when u lower ur rear to make sure ur break lines clear everything incase it bottoms out...learned that the hard way on a road trip lol..slipped my mind to check em...and cut the front coils until i have time to channel it and bag the car...

26. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

Lowered! 2 inch in rear and 1.5inch in front. didnt want to slam the thing. not till air ride, but gonna start on my other car for now.

Attached Files:

27. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

looks good. what did you do? blocks in the back and cut coils in front?

28. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

thanks, yeh 2 inch blocks and cut a coil. took me a little more than an hour and i only had to buy u bolts! doesnt ride too bad either.

29. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

looks really nice. i think i had a similar stance on mine because of tired suspension. haha.

i miss it. i'd love to be able to get my hands on another one someday and finish the vision i had for my first one.