Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 60 F100 as it sits!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRod60F100, Jul 16, 2010.

1. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Ok,my cousin recently visited family up in North Ala. and was gracious enough to swing by my grandfathers house and snap a few pics of my 60 F100.Yeah the pics are crappy but he coul;d get too close due to A him being disabled and B. good ole Alabama hornets everywhere. Well after sitting 14 years here she is. He said he was shocked how good a shape it was and the tires still held air. *crosses fingers* I'm hoping to go up in early Aug. to get the damn thing finally,step one once its back is to remove them ugly hubcaps.and those are indeed the WRONG whitewalls.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. crapshoot

crapshoot

nice truck, get that fucker outta there. looks like a really good start

3. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Thanks man. Yeah I've been wanting that thing in my driveway for ever now,fuckin economy and lack of work keeps me from it. Been saving though for gas and gonna use a buddies trailer and go get it asap!

4. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

After an exhausting trip to North Ala. to pick it up here are the pics of us unearthing her and it in my driveway. Its amazingly not rotted out after siting for 16 years. The tires or course are dryrotten,the rads toast,it has a busted front leaf spring and the interior smells of mouse piss. Job ones gonna get her on jackstands so I can rip the tires off it and go find some junkyard tires to just keep it rolling and then I'm gutting the interior. I'm gonna try and get the motor started by pouring marvel mystery oil down all the sparkplug holes and rebuild the carb. Its a 292 Y block 2v.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    More pics to come stay tuned

5. crapshoot

crapshoot

Dam that looks solid

6. 69supercj

69supercj

Nice truck, I've got its older sister!
    [​IMG]

7. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Well,its older sister looks like she didn't party as hard on the farm like her younger one has LOL Cool 58 btw!

8. crazydays

crazydays

Looks really good for sitting that long! Good luck with her.

9. Yeah, actually it doesn't look as bad as it does... you'd think she'd have a lot more cancer with were it was sitting. Congrats!

10. Javier

Javier
    1. Strugglers C.C.

Wow!crazy seeing it in all those trees.Good luck with your new project.

11. Kickstarter

Kickstarter
    from NC

Nice. Another one being saved. And white wall snow tires!

12. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

More pics
    Heres my cousin Tony up in Boaz Ala. pressure washing 2" of mud that was in the bed and even had plants growing in it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and here's a back and other side shot of it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Sure looks like that towing hitch worked over time or was it just the bumper.
    Nice start for a new project that is for sure.
    The Y block engine has got to be a bonus.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  14. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

Surprisingly great condition considering the jungle it's been sleeping in for the past 16 years! Good luck with it.

15. zephyrV12

zephyrV12
    BANNED
    from pomona ca

if you need any parts for that truck let me know have lots of parts from nuts and bolts to complete trucks

16. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Man oh man, what a jewel! The condition of your truck after sitting for 16 years is a testament to Ford quality! (I may be a bit biased :D) You'd never see a Chevy last like that! Start a thread & keep us posted! You gonna stick with the y-block? They're damn good little motors.

17. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Thanks ,I might stick with the Y depending on how hard it is to find parts and how expen$ive it is.

18. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Check out Egge Machine for your Y-block parts. They have good quality American made parts for good prices.

19. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

I'm just speechless on how straight and descent it looks after 15 or so years sitting in the jungle!!

NUTS!

Would love a daily like this!

Keep us updated!

HC.

20. elricho

elricho

Too cool man!!!
    Best of luck with it!!!

21. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Ok,I took the seat out aka"The Mouse Motel" and swept out the floor for now till i shop vac it real good ad just wanted to see the extent of the rot in the floors. Thankfully the rust is on the drivers side only and the inner steps were rust free too which is a typical place for rust to be on the 57-60 Ford Trucks. I called it a day afterwords because its 5000 degree's out :(
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]Guess Grampa was a Rodder :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

That is in good shape!! Hope the motor is loose. Should run.

Michael

23. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

the motor acts like its tight. then again the generator is froze up so I'm gonna wrench on the motor and pull the plugs and wires and shoot some PB blaster down the holes

24. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

the Y is a great motor. and parts are pretty cheap. and i find that NAPA can pretty much get me anything i need the next day.

and, they sound incredible with duals and some brockman's...

25. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

General Gow is not to be trusted, he's loopy in anticipation of his big trip! That Y block won't win any races. I just yanked the same one out of my '60. If you want it to just work without any issues and cruise nicely, stick with it and maybe stick a 4 BBL and the duals the General mentioned with glasspacks close to the engine, my '55 272 sounded great, but these '60 truck engines are weak.

26. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Why are they weak? and what are all the engine sizes in the Y block family? All I know of are the 272,292 & 312

27. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

The 239 was the first version. It came out in 1954. As for weak, I have my reservations about that. I had a .060 over 292 in my '56 F-100 that ran great. Other than a 500 cfm Holley 2 bbl and headers it was stock as a rock. I ran the hell out of that motor and never had a problem with it. I guess its all in how ya build 'em.

28. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

Ahhh yeah! Looks solid!

29. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

Well, it's not weak, I believe them to be fairly tough from a reliability standpoint, but like I said, you're not going to win any races with it. I think that one you have there is rated about 150 hp. You DO have the benefit of having a manual transmission, though. That's nice. Ford just pulled a Ford move with them and when the 352s came out, they reserved the Y blocks for trucks and "detuned" them, so to speak.

Drive it like it is and see if you like it and what you're looking for. I wanted something that was quicker.

30. willymakeit

willymakeit

That is a good start. Keep us posted.