Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs my '60 elcamino

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jonzcustomshop, Oct 13, 2015.

1. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

017.JPG 018.JPG 012.JPG 013.JPG 014.JPG 015.JPG 016.JPG 017.JPG 017.JPG

here is my stalled 60 elcamino project:
    I sectioned it an inch and a half, chopped it about four and a half inches, and installed the rear section of a 4 door hardtop roof.
    unfortunately I ran out of steam on this project a few years ago, and have not touched it since, today I uncovered it and loaded it up to put in storage, I grabbed a few shots while it was out.

straykatkustoms likes this.
  2. Way cool... nobody sections 'em anymore.

3. 55willys

55willys

That roof looks just right on it

4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Looks like it's doing 100 sitting still.

5. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Cool roof. It always amazes me how you guys can get glass to fit after such a chop with curvy glass. I'm clueless on how that's done....

6. williebill

williebill

I'd love to see that one finished, but I can understand a stalled project. Nice side profile. If you've hit a wall, a few cold beers and a long talk with it might get you back on track.

7. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

the rear window can't be cut, so it is/will be sunken into the body.
    I have 2 options with the windshield- when I did the chop I ended up sinking the corers into the body -that was about all that moved when the top came down. as it sits now, if I can find a good glass cutter all that the windshield needs is a 2X6 triangle portion cut off each rear corner, and about a 1/4 inch removed off the top edge.
    or I can finish the metal work for sinking it in and leave the glass stock.
    As it sits the windshield only has a 2 inch chop. Since the elcamino was based on a sedan windshield and they were 2 1/2 inches taller than the hardtops, I get the 4 1/2 inch or so chop
    I will use 4 door hardtop rear windows, and 2 door hardtop vent window frames.
    I had cut a vent window down and dropped it off to a local welder to see if he could weld the pot metal frame back together, that was in 2004 ! I just realized that was 11 years ago!!? he never did get back with me, and has since died...luckily I saved about 6 hardtop vent windows for this project.

8. alchemy

alchemy

That car (truck?) has a killer profile! Will be show stopper when done.

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

lots of potential - too bad that it is going into storage

10. ZAPPER68

ZAPPER68
    from BC

Beautiful...absolutely beautiful! Don't put it in storage, keep on welding and grinding. I would love to see this one finished.