Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 60 Elcamino turned fenderless hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Docfranknstein, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Docfranknstein

Docfranknstein

I've been working on My super secret project for a while and thought it was time to share, so here it is , it's a 60 Chevy Elky I've taken 18" outta the center, channeled it 4" , shorted the back side 24" and moved the rear wheels forward 8" , the tail fine have been capped with fins from a 57 Ford, and the cab corners are from a 58 Chevy pick-up, up front I've cut the stock frame rails and added rails from a Model T pick-up ,then added a square tube crossmember to hang a Ford spring that's hanging on custom made bat wings attached to a 59 Chevy axle, I like the 59-60 Chev's dashs so I cut mine to keep all the cool curves, I first saw this Elky 6 years ago when Primemover and I went to see a 62 Ford, I bought the Ford and wanted the Chev but too many cars block the Chevy from the exit, I knew what I whanted to do to the 60 but had to wait for the right timing, finally all the cars got cleared out ot the tomb and I was right over to pick up My 60 , I had to wait awhile to get this thing but I'm bustin My back on it and hope to drive it soon. Von Doc

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  2. Squablow

Squablow

That's some of the crazyest shit I've seen in a while. Got any pics from any other angles? Got plans for a grille? What are you going to do for a windshield?

3. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

That's crazy cool. Gotta see more pictures!

4. I like it. Creative Custom. What will you use for the grille/radiator shell?

5. Docfranknstein

Docfranknstein

Thanks Guys glad Ya like it, for the nose I'm gonna use sections of the front fenders, maybe go with chorme tubbing for a grille, for the windshield I'm planning on taking a stock one and cutting 18"s outta the center then v-butt the midlle, out back I'm gonna use a 63 Chevy truck hood turned upside down for a roll pan, I'll try and take some more pix tomorrow but here is the other side.

Attached Files:

quick85 and kiwijeff like this.
  6. That is so sick! Plowboy fever must be at epidemic levels now. Bitchin':cool:

7. Squablow

Squablow

The car looks really wild, has a 60's show car vibe. Sounds like a plan for the windshield, I can't think of any other way to do it.

I'd really like to see what you're going to do for the grille. That'll be interesting.

I hope to see more stuff like this in the future. Most of the early body styles have been done over and over, it's great to see something new and different being made into an open wheeled rod.

OahuEli likes this.
  8. that thing is gonna be hot!
    wasn't there a car similar to this built back in the early 60s outta an early ranchero that was turned into a dragster? maybe i'm wrong? who knows?

ncg

9. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Big Daddy Roth is rolling over in his grave. Do you have too much weight on that flimsey model T frame?

10. Holy SHIT! THIS i like a lot. Great idea

11. That's pretty dang cool! Reminds me of a sixties show truck made by Starbird maybe? Orange Crate is the name that comes to mind. I think I bought a model of it once.

12. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

Plowboy fever, catch it! And it looks like you have it bad... I think it looks neat. It takes someone with some serious imagination to look at an El Camino and see a fenderless hot rod!

13. Squablow

Squablow

Doc, I think you're going to have to post some pics up of your truck with the '57 Ford bed on this thread along with some build dates on it so everyone knows you've been doing this type of stuff for a while and not just jumping on a trend (not that it would be a bad thing, really) I can see some similarities between this and the Lunar Lander but I can see how this is a lot different also.

14. That is just nutty. I LOVE IT!!!

15. Ornery37

Ornery37
    from Texas

That is SWEET! Cannot wait to see the finished project.

16. NTAPHSE

NTAPHSE

Hell yeah, nice build man. I love the idea of taking a car like that and making it fenderless. Like everyone else said, gotta see the grille. Are you going to do something narrow? Not to offend, but it kinda reminds me of a little speed boat or something.

17. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

18. Big Tony

Big Tony

Big Daddy himself i'm sure is pleased to see this creation. Pretty dang bad ass and inventive. I too would love to see more pics... Is your radiator set up in the back of the bed? Keep us posted.

19. HotRodHeb

HotRodHeb

That has got to be one of the coolest things I have seen for a while!

Looks great!

20. XSCOOTERX

XSCOOTERX
    from Brier,Wa.

Ok this is a TUFF call for me cause ..I'm digging the unique-ness..I enjoy your vision....BUT I have a weak spot for early Elky's, I mean go ahead and cut up a ranchero...but please leave the old elky's to a freak like me..hehehe Keep us all posted cause I can't wait to see the end product......

21. KutThrtKustms

KutThrtKustms
    BANNED
    from SO.CAL.

SOMEBODY QUICK...GET THAT GUY A STRAIGHT JACKET HE'S F'N' [size=+2]NUTS![/size] :D

22. Wow!

I'm feeling disaster though if you put some kinda pre-40 nose on it...

How about carrying the hood out... and then hanging quad lights off of it?

Reguardless... the thing is bitchen... make the front as cool as the back and you have a winner!

Sam.

23. DrJ

DrJ

I agree, about not using a retro grill.

Finish the frame nice.
    Detail the engine, chrome pulleys etc. maybe, as symmetrically and clean as you can.
    Make up a radiator about 5" tall and all the way across the rear end, about eight heater cores worth ought to do it, and just put a pair of close set headlights on the front. About as close as the lights on the Druid Princess, cept modern, like '61 Imperial lights or something like that.

24. That is crazy sweet!!!! Love the truck and it shows a twisted mind. Now that I,ve showed my true feelings here is something.....look at the cab section and tell me you couldn,t do that with an older Corvair.Those things are cheap and no one wants them.Similar lines.....again bitchin truck!!! Do they still say bitchin???? I dunno anymore....

25. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well you've done it now!! How the fuck can you justify tearin up such kool old iron for something like that? Dammit! Another early Elky gone...

to a fantastic vision and, yes, awesome 60's dreamcar vibe as said above. :D
    I think you need to somehow emulate how "pissed off" those cars look at the front end/grille area. Man you're really on to a special look there and I too can't wait to see it done.

26. Thats bitchin dude!!!! I was just lookin at an old New Port four door and thinkin of something like that.

27. LOCO_LOUIE

LOCO_LOUIE
    from Ontario,Ca

28. Anderson

Anderson

Actually fellas, wasn't Doc's truck pre-plowboy?

I like the direction this is headed...will save final judgment for when it's closer to the finish line. Needs big nasty slicks!

Attached Files:

robracer1 likes this.
  29. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

Man that is huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it and agree about the front end not needing a retro grille something along the lines of a way narrowed elky front end kinda pod like maybe....post more and post em often .....:cool:

30. flyingpolock

flyingpolock
    from PHX

That's KILLER!!! What if, grille-wise, you ran an oval-shaped grille, with the headlight housings molded in... total sixties show-rod vibe...
    Quick sketch of general idea:

[​IMG]

(radiator would have to be small... maybe a VW Sirocco unit or???)
    Can't wait to see more progress on it!