Register now to get rid of these ads!

My '60 Comet wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom Komet, May 21, 2008.

1. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

This is too weird. I'm KustomKarma with a '64 Comet and you're KustomKomet with a '60 Comet. Maybe it's Kosmic. :D BTW, killer kar! OK I'll stop.

2. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

oh sweet jesus ! love the center caps

3. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

Know what's even more Kosmic? I used to have a '64 Cyclone.

-KK

[​IMG]

4. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

OK this is weird. I'll post some pics of mine when I can get it out of the garage.

5. Kerry67

Kerry67

Leave it !! It is Perfect !!! Love the car.....

6. daddio211

daddio211

Old thread but BITCHIN' wagon!

7. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Wish it was mine------:)

8. 59squire

59squire

Sweet and useful too, looks great.

9. DementedStefan

DementedStefan

Personally i wouldn't change a thing. That car is a beauty.

10. edselfish

edselfish

this is one of those rare but great '' had it for 18 years and did finally do it'' stories.that is fantastic.i know there are many reasons why some cars never get done and thats cool but doesnt it feel great that you stuck to it and now shes done.looks great and time for FUN using it.

11. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love me some station wagons and that is one SWEET wagon. If you're still counting votes, I don't think I would change anything. No rack, no stripes (at least nothing major), and no more trim.

12. woodywagon1965r

woodywagon1965r

The car is just perfect congrats very tasteful

13. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

Thanks for the nice comments on the Comwag, it's undergone a few minor alterations in the last year or so, so here's a quick update.

I had to replace the Coker lowrider series bias ply tires because they were all out of round and the car would shake, rattle, & roll at anything above 60. I got a set of 175/70/14 whitewalls from Goody's Speed Shop, the tires are very hard to find and those guys get them in regularly. 14" rubber is almost extinct, so I bought a couple spares too. Runs smooth to 90 now, so road trips are a bunch more fun. I actually like the look of the Hankooks better than the bias plys because they have a thinner whitewall and look more like period "pinner whites" on the Supremes.

[​IMG]

Next, I found a totally cool clear distributor cap for a small block Ford at a swap meet. If that doesn't stay true to the vibe of the car, what does? They haven't made these for at least 25 years. At the same time, I replaced the troublesome Autolite 4100 carb with a new Holley 570 Street Avenger, which has got to be the best carb I've ever had. Runs like Fuel injection, and made the car noticably quicker - mainly because it's not dripping raw gas into the intake.

[​IMG]

Then, I convinced a buddy to trade me his spiff mint condition 1965-66 Sun tach, and installed it on a custom bracket so as not to drill the dash:

[​IMG]

Then, feeling the '60s energy, I had a biker buddy come over and flake the roof. I turned the garage into a Visqueen palace, and turned him loose:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Buried in clear:

[​IMG]

Cut and buff:

[​IMG]

Mmmmm. Flaky.

[​IMG]

A few weeks later, he returned to add some cool pin striping to the roof. We went back and forth on this, and decided on the "not too much" approach:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really finishes the car, IMO.

All this was done last November, just in time for the Goodguys Southwest show in Scottsdale.

[​IMG]

-KK

14. jmh

jmh

Still a bad ass wagon!! Looking better as you go on!! John

15. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I keep hearing that the early Falcon engine bay is really too narrow for a V8, but that doesn't look any tighter than my Camaro. The Comet is no bigger, is it?

-Dave

16. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

No, it's exactly the same engine bay as a '60-'63 Falcon, and a 289 or 302 can be swapped in using all factory parts.

-KK

17. I still say its one of the coolest LONGROOFS on da HAMB!!!

18. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

I love it. put a roof rack on it and call it good.........

19. Really cool wagon, i wish they made the 2 doors down here.
    I think that one of those dash clusters would be a great switch on my squire.
    Kyle

20. gtnrkix

gtnrkix

21. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

I just looked at this thread again, because I wanted to send the link to a guy on here who's buying one.

I think what makes this look so good is restraint...
    in all your color and detail choices.

There's pinstriping, but subtle.
    It's low but not too low. Etc., etc.!

Interior's basic black and white, but it's sharp with the gloss dash...just a nice car!

I have been wanting to buy this 1960 4-door for a while but not sure what to do with it. I see now the "plain" 1960-1961s CAN look good!

And thanks for the info. on these!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  22. girlytbird

girlytbird
    from Pittsburgh

23. Mercury Comet !! Rich Mans Economy Car !!! That thing looks sweet >>>>.

24. creepyjackalope

creepyjackalope

Your wagon RULES!!!!!!! I have been playing with the idea of having parts of my roof striped and after seeing this it has to happen!

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  25. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Beautiful, ya did good.

26. Shizzelbamsnapper

Shizzelbamsnapper
    from Ohio

Love it!!!!!! Love the long roof cars, doing one myself (see below)

I'd do the roof rack with a surf board in a heart beat or even gasser but thats me and its your car you have to do what YOU like.

Duhhh, didn't read whole thread before replying.

LOVE the Pinstripe, not too much not too little, again, LOVEEEEEEE it.

Drive it and enjoy it.

27. Capt.Mike

Capt.Mike

My first car was a 60 Comet sedan. 144 cu / 6 cyl. with 3 on the tree. Talk about basic transportation, but it was fun. Your's is near perfect. I agree with most, forget the roof rack. The rocker trim may be a little much also. I think they would pull your eyes away from the wheels and side trim. The only option I might think about is a hang on A/C unit. You could buy them after market for the 62 and 63 so you may well be able to use one, especially with the 289. All those looks and little creature comfort too, might be worth a second thought. Great job!!

28. Chris VCR

Chris VCR

Great looking wagon!

29. Osprey

Osprey

That's one beautiful wagon!

I'm sure relieved to hear that you changed out those tires. I just saw your thread and was going to warn you about them. I had the exact same tires on a 1500lb car (yours is probably almost twice as heavy) until a year ago when I had to do a panic stop because a big ass SUV blatantly pulled out right in front of me. Those little tires screamed and wailed and left black streaks on the pavement, but there was very little deceleration, or so it seemed at the time. I had no choice but to replace them with radials. I love a period look, but if you are going to drive the wheels off a car it had better be able to stop. :eek:

30. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

the best comet ever!