Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '59 El Camino - 8-13-11 - It's Finally Done

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemifarris, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Skankin' Rat Fink

Skankin' Rat Fink
    from NYC

I see it differently ... 1958 was definitely the peak of excess. Look at any GM product besides Chevy, and they look pretty overdone. I feel like 1959, they brought it back just a little bit and hit a nice balance.

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Ok I started reading your reply on May 25th and just finished now. :D I appreciate the insight into your mind and direction and I totally get it. I guess I thought this car was more along the lines of a "factory could have been" and I was looking at it in the approach that it seems like you went above and beyond to get everything just so for 1959 but the radials were sticking out to me so I was just wondering your reasoning. I love your approach and the fact that you're building it exactly the way you want and I totally respect everything you're doing.

Like I said, I would like my '54 to turn out very similar even if it's only half as nice. The black walls and dog dish caps, the factory built engine, the oem interior...everything!!! I love to think about what some car might have looked like if GM sponsored a program that put out a line of cars with some serious ass behind them and not worry so much about all the fluff.

Again, it may be one of my favorite cars on the HAMB and I would chew my arm off to have it. Thanks bud!

3. Now that's a nice el cam! And the color is just right! I want one too....

4. doozcoupe

doozcoupe

I agree. 58 was the excess year for chrome on all GM entries. Especially Buick, Oldsmobile, and Pontiac top of the line models.

5. hemifarris

hemifarris

True...I guess my main thought was regarding the excessive fins that Buick, Cadillac and chevrolet introduced. You're correct regarding the Excess chrome of 1958........Mike

6. hemifarris

hemifarris

Jeffrey, here's a couple of pictures of a '59 El Camino with stock wheels and bias ply tires. Note how small, and narrow the rear wheel/tire combination looks. I had to fill the wheel wells and the only way was with wider, 15" wheels and wider tires. I also added a custom made 1" spacer to bring the wheels out to where I wanted. I didn't want deep dish wheels so I added the spacers so it has more of a stock appearance as opposed to a last minute wide wheel choice...Take care,Mike
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mike--looks like you are getting close--did you get a parking meter air cleaner for it yet--I too run radials on my black 57 Fuely with small caps as you know on 15 inch wheels vs 14's to fill the wheel well and make the stance suit me as well-good job-best El Camino I've seen.

8. Toner283

Toner283

Wow Mike, From that angle the green Elky does kinda look like an elephant balanced on a roller skate. Cars (and trucks) always look better with the wheel wells filled up with a wheel/tire IMO. I still think your Elky is the nicest one I have ever seen. If you needed an extra left testicle I will trade ya!:D

9. hemifarris

hemifarris

Hello Tim. NO, I still haven't found a parking meter. I've gotten everything else, including nameplates and flags but no duct. If the one we discussed ever becomes available, please let me know. I bought an aftermarket air duct, installed the small tube on it that connects to the rubber tube to the balance tube. I had it powdercoated silver. The car is done, except for the road test. I will post pics of the finished job in a week, or so.........Thanks, Mike...P.S....If you ever have the time, would you send me some pictures of your '57? [email protected]

Hi Tone. The wheelhousings are huge on the El Camino and needed to be filled. An El Camino will look like that from any angle with 14" wheels and tires, especially bias ply. As far as the extra nut........You saw me last summer. Do I look like I even have room on this fat body for an extra nut? I know you looked at, and photographed my El Camino from every angle and you know it well. I really appreciate your thoughts on it. Hopefully I'll see you two this summer, or fall. I have your parts,plus a new shift lever and knob, the '60 black/white houndstooth seat covers and door trim pads I took out of it. Maybe you can use the trim as a driver until you get yours done....Mike

10. Toner283

Toner283

We are still planning a trip down this summer at some point, I am working a second job now so planning some time off is a little tricky logistically. I am working about 30 hours a week as a fabricator for these folks: http://www.hitmanhotrods.com/en/ Plus i am still doing the factory gig full time as well. And I appreciate the offer of the parts, I have plans to put them to good use. I will definitely take a few more pictures of your Elky with the new interior and the fuelie unit in place. I have been looking forward to hanging out with you again since last fall so I will do my damnedest to make it happen.

11. hemifarris

hemifarris

If you make it down, great. If you don't, the parts aren't going anywhere........I'm glad you're working a lot. You've got to earn it while you can, and while you're young......

12. hemifarris

hemifarris

I'm finally finished with my El Camino. Since I originally posted it as being 99% done ,I've done the following;
    1- installed a new interior as my lower cushion cover was faded
    2- for safety sake I installed new heater and headlamp switches
    3- installed new, clean dash bulbs
    4- installed an N.O.S. factory push button radio
    5- restored my underdash air conditioner
    6- new fuel pump (safety)
    7- new door weatherstripping
    8- new factory rubber floor mats
    9- 4 new T3 sealed beams
    10- had speedometer restored w/new AC Delco odometer...several numbers were off color
    11- installed restored factory Rochester fuel injection system, air hoses and core support mounted air cleaner.
    12- installed a set of correct '59 passenger car fuel injection flags and nameplates. I had to have these reproduced.I did them in polished stainless steel. These were Chevrolet passenger car 1 year only parts.
    12- fabricated upper radiator hose as Chevrolet never offered air conditioning on fuel injected '59s and I needed to clear compressor.
    Here's some photos............. Mike
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
    Cosmo49 likes this.
  13. afan

afan
    from michigan

Mike,the emblems looks perfect.The car is perfect!!!!!

14. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Dude I gotta say your ride is out-right awsome. god damn is that thing rad!!!

15. hemifarris

hemifarris

Thanks Jim. The emblems are finally done and installed. I think I cost Kelly a couple of hairs by having him install them knowing what an asshole I am regarding my cars. It runs just like a modern electronic fuel injection system, as opposed to the '59 mechanical unit that it is. I'm happy with it.

16. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

Wow. That is awesome. It was beautiful at 99% and it's just a little better now. Congrats. You plan on putting some serious miles on it now?

17. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

you should consider making extra emblems and sell them

18. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

That's one fine El Camino.

19. bogart62

bogart62

Hey Stranger, Kent here. Car looks tits. Emblems an F.I. look bad ass. Looking forward to hearing it. Hope you are doing ok Mike. Hope to see you soon.

20. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

What Kent said!

Mike

21. hemifarris

hemifarris

I own the molds. I will NOT reproduce them as long as I own my El Camino. After, or if, I sell it they'll be reproduced for sale. I have a lot of money in those 2 flags and fuel injection nameplates. Actually, when building a first series El Camino, nothings cheap.......:)

22. JUST AWESOME!
    Thanks for sharing.

23. gashog

gashog

In-frickin- amazing...

24. beanis

beanis

Very, very nice. Congrats and thanks for sharing!

25. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

26. Looks great!!!!

JH

27. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

one bad ass truck !! would love to have it.

28. The best El camino I have ever seen.... Great ride !

29. Toner283

Toner283

That looks great Mike, the FI install makes the look of the car. Love the FI badges too, I have never seen a 59 in person with them. Do I remember correctly that your were casting them in stainless? Or did you have them cast in pot metal? Just curious.

Yours is still the most beautiful, well detailed Elky I have ever seen. I hope mine turns out 1/2 as nice when I am done with it.

Amen to that brother!

Do you have any pictures of the new interior? I would like to see it too.

30. The emblems look great! I'm glad I found the the originals, for you to be able to reproduce them. The 59 is amazing, Mike! Thanks