Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 59 edsel wagon build.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greg, Jan 29, 2011.

1. greg

greg

oggie59, im not positive but ford parts will probably fit.

and we are almost neighbors, thats rare for edsel owners!!

2. greg

greg

Peter,
    1. The gas tank is made by bob drake. # B8A 9002.
    I just checked there web site and it says they are out of stock, but i would call and check. When I called to get mine they gave me a name of a guy in texas that bought all there tanks for the wagons. It was " Don Hyde-Fordcraft" in Plano tx. I dont have his phone # but you can probably get it on the web. If not let me know and I will try and dig it up.

2. The rear spring is about 56" long, eye to eye center. The center, where axle mounts, is about 30.5" from the rear, center to center.
    These are just close measurements. I dont have the car jacked up now, so kinda hard to see. There are some pics somewhere on my build thread.

Oggie,
    There are some control arms on ebay now for 45-55$.
    If you find out for sure if ford parts work, tell me what years and I can help look.

3. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

Thankyou so much thats a huge help for me

4. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

Back on the broken studs and bolts, Enco tools has a pretty neat looking tool to drill and remove . Says it will not screw up the threads. On sale right now for $39.95 set of 4. (1/4" thru 1/2") reg.$63.98 Part number PT505-0298. Might just get one myself. MADE IN USA!!!

5. desotot

desotot

Just read the whole thread, great job! After christmas I will start welding up my son in laws 59 Ford 2dr country squire wgn. I wonder if anyone knows if ford/edsel ever had third row seating or will I have to make it?

6. greg

greg

Desotot, Im not really sure if ford had a 9 passenger model or not. Let me know when you get started. I would like to see the pics.

Country gent, Looks like a good tool to have. But I decided to just do it by hand.

I drilled out and tapped all the broken exhaust bolts today. It wasnt really too bad.:)
    I decided this weekend that the heads would be ok with just cleaning and lapping the valves. I did a priliminary lapping job on a couple of the exhaust valves and the seat areas look good. The valve guides I think will work.

But on a down side:(, I plastic guaged the main bearings, actually just the center main, and its about .007, which is too much wear. Plus there is only brass showing.
    The rod bearing I checked was also on the very outer edge of tollerence also.
    So at this point I need to decide to just clean it all up and do it old school way, and put some rings and bearings in, or take it to a shop so it can have all things really checked and cleaned properly.:rolleyes:

7. Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  8. desotot

desotot

Hmmm, sure would prefer to find a factory 9 passenger setup.

9. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

I would like to add that I too bought the Bob Drake tank, however, my experience was that it IS a bolt in replacement. There are two fuel pickups on the tank, and it comes with a block off for the one you do not use (I assume the other is for the Ranchero). It was an easy installation and took less than a 1/2 hour.

10. Now thats really interesting about the tank.

Mine did not have two inlets or any block off parts.

Glad it worked out for you also.

Other wise it woulda been cut the tank,sandblast and rebuild it for me.

Oldmics

11. Edsel101

Edsel101

Greg and Oggie59, You are not alone with your Edsels in Indiana! The Indiana chapter Edsel club is pretty good sized. And its a great way to locate local parts. A few members have multiple Edsels for parts. I have access to at least one 59 Villager parts car in Indiana. Not to mention the countless 59 parts cars in the area. My dad is extremely knowledgeable on the subject of Edsels (he's had about 70) and I'm sure would be willing to help out if you guys need anything.

12. greg

greg

Edsel101,
    I just happen to have on my desk right now, the contact info for the edsel club:).
    Sounds like a edsel get together may be in the future.:D

13. Edsel101

Edsel101

We just had our monthly meeting last night! I've known most of them since I was a kid! Great group of guys. If you would like I can have the president of the Indy chapter put you on the mailing list so you know when the meetings are. Just PM me your info if you'd like!

14. greg

greg

I just loaded the block in the truck to take to the machine shop.
    Im gonna have the block cleaned, crank, and cylinders checked.

Ive spent the last week just checking out all the motor specs. I found the mains had between .005-.007 clearance, so I decided to replace the bearings. The rod bearings were also out of spec, but not as bad.
    I measured about .010 total wear on the top of cylinder stroke, so im hoping its not too bad.

I think the heads are gonna be ok with just a lapping and cleaning, but im waiting to here for sure everything is ok on the block and then make my final decision.

I also found that the 361 fe has different mains than other fe's. There are also a early,pre64?, and a late bearing available. so 3 total mains available for fe's. I think the cams are also different, but still checking on that.:confused:

The motor was very gunky. (if thats a word).LOL

15. 60widewhitez

60widewhitez

Great thread.. I dig edsels..

16. Edsel101

Edsel101

I'm not positive what year they switched over but the 361 in your Edsel should have the thrust button for the cam. The later FE series have a plate that holds the cam into place as opposed to the spring. You can put the later model plate on them you just have to drill and tap a hole in the block.

17. greg

greg

Yes, its the button style cam. I was told I could convert it to a newer style. not sure if i want to do that or not. I havent tried to find a cam as of yet. If i can find a newer cam for a lot less, then it might be worth it to convert, plus cam choiced go way up.
    also not sure about the timing chain part on the conversion.
    There is a FE guy right down the road from me, Jacks Automotive. Ive been to jacks a couple of times already for advice.

18. edsel.fi

edsel.fi

Hey, is this FE361 engine??? I know that atleast 1958 FE361 engines had freezeplugs at Head "ends" ?

19. edsel.fi

edsel.fi

20. Frankenstein57

Frankenstein57

Just caught up on your project, lookin good! This inspires me to stop looking for a nicer 57 body, and fix the one I have, Mark

21. greg

greg

Yes its a 361. I think the 58's had solid lifters? so there may be other differences.
    Great job on the car, and your blog is really cool. I love the edsel curser.

Frank57, My dad had a 57 ranchero he gave me when i was 16. I was living at home with no money, and nowhere to put it. When he moved off someone hauled it away.:( I just was not able to do anything with it. Wish I would have tried harder. It still needed a lot of work!

I hope my posting does help others with there projects, but to tackle one like this one isnt for everybody. Just the crazy ones.;)

22. greg

greg

Haven't updated for a while.
    I have the block at the machine shop. and the trans is also at the shop being rebuilt.

The crank is being ground 10/10. New cam bearings, block cleaned and magnafluxed, no cracks found.:).
    Im also installing a new cam. The old one had some pits on the lobes.
    They are also installing the freeze plugs, and putting screw in plugs in the rear of the block.
    They are getting the bearings for me, and also the new cam and rings. Im just putting a stock cam back in it.
    The cylinders will just need honing.

I have been cleaning the rest of the parts the last few weeks in my spare time. I cannot believe how dirty it was.:eek: I have spent a lot of time just on the rocker shafts. All the oil holes were plugged up, and I just noticed tonight that even the oil holes in the rockers are about 50% blocked.
    The engine didnt really have that many miles on it, but I am sooo glad i tore it down, just for the cleaning part of it.

The heads are tore down now, and still need some cleaning, then I will have the exhaust flange machined flat, then I plan to lap all the valves.

I still have lots to do this winter, but at least im not welding rust this winter.:D:D:D

23. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Greg -

Sounds like you're really coming along!

I've come to realize that my Edsel has a LOT of mechanical stuff to fix - some I need to ed-u-ma-cate myself on. I'm envious of your 361 - I have the 332. Every bit of HP helps!

Any pics to show?

Ryan

24. greg

greg

sorry, no pics. I should have taken some, but so far its just a bunch of greasy parts.
    I will take pics when the re-assembly starts.
    I just purchased a 59 edsel repair manual off craigslist, so that should help.

25. Jagman

Jagman

Not fer nuttin, but alocal guy has a pretty cool motor for sale, I'm not up on the market price on these....

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/pts/3439516717.html

Big Block Ford/ Edsel 361/390 with 3 deuces (Parkville)

I have a rare Engine with factory for 3 deuce set up/Solid lifters. It has been sitting inside 10 years but ran before that. May Trade for mustang or make offer. 816-548-6766

[​IMG]

26. greg

greg

The latest update.
    These are some pics during teardown.
    I have the block back, and most parts have been cleaned. I will update more as I start the re-assembly.
    DSCN3790.jpg

DSCN3793.jpg

DSCN3803.jpg

DSCN3804.jpg

DSCN3852.jpg

DSCN3853.jpg

DSCN3855.jpg

27. Johnnee D.

Johnnee D.

I just read the whole thread...congratulations on the work you've done! I really like Fomoco SW from the late 50's...thinking of buying one shortly... I really like your approach and the pictures! Keep up the good work...

28. greg

greg

First I want brag on my progress. Not on the motor, but this weekend I ran a 6" duct from the house furnace, out to the garage.:D

With this cold weather it doesn't completely warm it, but it keeps it warm enough that my other heaters dont have to do much.

My wife ask if it was going to heat all the time.
    I said no.:rolleyes:
    Thinking to myself, in the summer it will blow cool air.:D:D:D:D

Here are all the parts ready for assembly. I got the cam in today, and hopefully tomorrow get the crank, then start on the pistons.

Attached Files:

29. Johnnee D.

Johnnee D.

cold spell here too! enjoy all the warmth you can find...I've been avoiding the garage...even the hockey equipment stays inside the house now! Enjoy the engine build...

30. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

Looks like great progress Greg and BOY you are right - that was DIRTY!