Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 57 Pontiac Safari: "From RUST to GLORY"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, May 5, 2008.

1. OneFineFiftyNine

OneFineFiftyNine

You car looks great! Love the colors, love the stance, love everything about it. Its inspiring me to get off my arse and work on my 56. ;)

2. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

You really did a nice job on the Safari!

3. studhud

studhud

Jay what up buddy? Wasnt the seat star on the passenger side in the front drivers side on the rear seat originally? Looks like you switched em! Probably a good idea to keep the wifey happy. LTR Dave

4. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

The top and spear really were seacrest green and super faded- The minty green was barely there. The top color now has a ton of green pearl in it, just to punch it up.

[​IMG]

5. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Good eye Dave!

I swapped the star locations when I added the 3" seat pleats!

Original:

[​IMG]

Now:

[​IMG]

6. WOW!! cars is beutiful!

7. Wow what a tasty ride !1 A real credit to ta man, keep the pix of ths beautiful coming !!

Rat

8. The Wolf

The Wolf
    from OAKLAND CA

9. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Saw your post-- NICE JOB on the thrash to get it running...
    Yeah- Bring er' to the Next Sparky's! I drove the wagon up there with no glass, no tail or brakelights and no nut holding the steering wheel on! Yikes...

It was windy in there:
    [​IMG]

10. Jay71

Jay71

Great wagon! Hope to see it in Santa Maria!

11. flatoz

flatoz

I'm glad you didnt go down the beater route, that thing is just way to nice now.

its a real credit.

12. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

You're doing GOOD dude! NICE ride!

...what one does either for,or against truth, serves it equally as well.

13. MercMan1951

MercMan1951

Awesome! Can't wait to see it finished.

14. 4bangerNick

4bangerNick

Cool! I like Ponchos!

15. twofosho

twofosho

Can't get over how nice your car looks.

Are the illuminated fender ornaments going back on with the rest of the trim? They look really cool if you adapt turn signals into them as well as using them as running lights.

I know from what you've said you're not trying to make this a total resto (pearling the paint for instance), but any plans to replace the spinner caps you have on there now with 57 Pontiac (Bonneville) ones if you find a set?

16. drunkrock

drunkrock
    from Long Beach

one of my alltime favorite cars along with my favorite paint schemes, i couldnt be more envious right now. I used to have a very nice '56 nomad, but sold it one of my biggest regrets ever.

17. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

-The light up fender ornaments were very cool, but I was trying to de-chrome the front a bit without loosing the hood ornament. The "Star Chief" scripts and fender tips had to go.

-I had a cherry set of the 57 Bonneville flippers, but they fit stock 14" wheels. I went to 15" rollers to give room for the disc brake conversion, so pre-57 GM caps (except Buick and Cad which stayed 15) were my best choice.

18. twofosho

twofosho

Yeah, I would have had to give mine up too, if I had actually adapted a set of hub and drums like I had planned to.

Somehow it was just too much fun driving around and picking off the local hot shoes that had no idea how fast that old dog really was (all 4300+ pounds of it!). All they had to do was make the mistake of taking it on from a roller, I LOVE SLEEPERS! Fresh motor, Crane cam from my 421, F I, and B&M Hydro probably made for a HUGE difference from a stocker.

19. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Beautiful car! I always liked the '57s.

20. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

21. poorboy

poorboy

nice ride! love the color combo!

22. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

Good god what a beatiful car. Tri-five Ponchos are so much more goodloooking than the chebbies. Nice work man

23. Kev Nemo

Kev Nemo

24. So that was your seats down at Able's shop. All he said was that it was for a Pontiac wagon. Good job looks great!!

25. Durod

Durod
    from DFW, Tx

that is perfect.

26. 53chevy

53chevy

Jay, first that wagon is looking awesome! I'm putting a 60 coupe together and thinking alot how to lower it a good 2" or so. Cut springs or buy the lowered springs (Eaton?). And switching to disc up front, did you buy one of those kits that use your existing spindles? Any info would be great. Thanks for sharing your updates.

Ken

27. belair

belair

Awesome-want to buy the factory air vents and dash pod?

28. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

I got the 3" drop spindles from Fatman and left the travel alone. (Cut coils have often given me problems down the road.) Disc brake kit was from Scarebird on the HAMB. Keep in mind my car is actually a kingpin front end (last year for Pontiac). I got the dual chamber 7" booster m/c from CPR in Santa Ana. My vacuum M/C was shot when I go the car.

Back was lowered with 3" blocks.

29. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

If I ever switch over to A/C, I'll let you know. I really hate to cut up my smooth dash though! :D

30. AD

AD

GAWDAM thats beautiful!, i love it, u guys did a hell of a job,, i dig the asymetricalness stock looking interior,, thumbs up!